I hope easton brings new tech with their snr line

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Now that Easton has bought out Combat I hope they bring back the og da bomb as an Easton sr stick.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Combats were made in Canada by CE Composites, Eastons are made in China. I don't think any Combat engineering is gonna find its way into the Easton line, unfortunately.

chile

Bad Ape
Their new stuff is gonna be good... Better than the last couple of years, I can tell you that.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Combats were made in Canada by CE Composites, Eastons are made in China. I don't think any Combat engineering is gonna find its way into the Easton line, unfortunately.

You don't think Easton buying out Combat has been a reason for the turn around Easton has been experiencing the last year and a half/2 years? Serious question, I'm not saying that is is for sure....but I always considered the two to possibly be linked.

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
You don't think Easton buying out Combat has been a reason for the turn around Easton has been experiencing the last year and a half/2 years? Serious question, I'm not saying that is is for sure....but I always considered the two to possibly be linked.
I agree - they didn't buy Combat for nothing. I've heard it was for their inner barrel technology, why Combat's always sounded like you were hitting a wood bat. I'm sure it's not identical, but put those Combat guys to work with the resources of Easton and look out...

Hiltz

Built for comfort

I agree - they didn't buy Combat for nothing. I've heard it was for their inner barrel technology, why Combat's always sounded like you were hitting a wood bat. I'm sure it's not identical, but put those Combat guys to work with the resources of Easton and look out...

As far as I know, only the new fastpitch "Ghost" model currently has an inner barrel. I've heard that their ASA offerings next year will have inner barrels, but I don't think there's any connection to Easton buying Combat. Demarini started the craze with the Flipper years ago. Combat and LS had discs, Miken and Worth ASA bats now have inner barrels, it's just what everyone is doing. Easton has traditionally been slow to change, but it was only a matter of time.

Just look at this year bats they sure sound and hit different and I mean for the better.

They do. But the 2012 models are still widely regarded as the best bats Easton has ever made. They had the recipe for awesome bats over 5 years ago but for some reason they screwed around with it. I think their recent tech changes had less to do with buying Combat and more to do with seeing their bats sell for $79.99 every off-season.

Party mafia

Combat PTE bat seen to have durability issues. They tend to break around the 250 to 300 cuts.

chile

Bad Ape
... I've heard that their ASA offerings next year will have inner barrels... They do. But the 2012 models are still widely regarded as the best bats Easton has ever made...

Yes, the asa ghost will have an inner barrel... And it will be just as good as any inner barrel bat out there in my opinion...not so sure I agree about the 2012s being their best bats...Maybe post ABI.

4xtra

Player/Coach
How much better do bats need to get? Helen Keller can hit HRs with the bats available now. I'm kinda meh on all this new technology.
Unless they move the needle past 220,
how much room do you have to get these bats any hotter??
I just tested a WORTH and it was right at 220 with LESS than 100 swings and it is absolutely on FIRE.

chile

Bad Ape
How much better do bats need to get? Helen Keller can hit HRs with the bats available now. I'm kinda meh on all this new technology.

can't keep people interested if they don't get the best possible chance to hit HRs every AB ;)

Hiltz

Built for comfort

I don't think bats can get any hotter. Sweetspots are the whole barrel. The only thing left to do is produce a bat that's good to go right out of the wrapper, gets close to the fail point without actually failing, and has old-school Easton durability. But there's no motivation for manufacturers to do that, not when people are forking over $200-$300 for bats that don't last 500 hits.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I don't think bats can get any hotter. Sweetspots are the whole barrel. The only thing left to do is produce a bat that's good to go right out of the wrapper, gets close to the fail point without actually failing, and has old-school Easton durability. But there's no motivation for manufacturers to do that, not when people are forking over $200-$300 for bats that don't last 500 hits.

Bats have obviously reached the performance threshold... at the cost of durability. It was interesting to play an ASA tournament in NE last weekend and watch 99% of the guys there swing Monstas. I saw very, very few good swings and even fewer long HRs. I'm convinced that guys have become lazy hitters, relying on the massive sweetspot of today's bat to mask their sloppy, slow swings. It was like everyone there was convinced that nothing other than Monstas would work on .52 300 balls. That couldn't be further from the truth.

If anything I think softball bats should start trending back the other direction. Make the game harder, not easier. 300' fields are obsolete and pitchers and infielders wear protective equipment now. Slowpitch needs to do what college baseball did and significantly reduce the legal performance threshold of bats.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton did not buy Combat for any tech. The inner barrel that Easton is using is much different than anything Combat has done before. I would say that they bought them for the proprietary rights to certain composites but that's not even the case since they haven't used it. If you think the buy out has anything to do with slowpitch you are sadly mistaken. Easton has had a grudge against Combat since the little league World Series years back. When Easton sponsored/ hosted a nationally televised event and the kids weren't really swinging their bats, and the ones that did didn't perform. It didn't look good. This was more about big fish and little fish. Bottom line Combat was taking money out of Eastons pocket on the baseball side of things namely the little league market. Since Wilson controls a big part the major league market (official glove of the majors and bat) why not buy out one of your competitors and strengthen you position in the market.

Easton<Combat<Bauer<Bell and who knows what else

Wilson did the same:
Wilson<Demarini<Louisville Slugger<Nokona

Really there are only 3/4 major players anymore.

Easton: Combat/Bauer/Bell and others
Wilson: Demarini/LS/Nokona and others
K2: Rawlings/Miken/Worth and some others
Mizuno: who's biggest market isn't the US

It's just a matter of time until Marucci and some of the others get bought out as well. They are big companies but in grand scheme of things a small fish in a big pond. Only one that has held their own as a small fish for some time is Fanklin Sports.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you guys saying the performance is too high hitting .52's in games? I agree if we are talking .44 or .40. But I hit and saw balls way farther and easier with scn2's and .44's than .52's and today's bats. It's not even close.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you guys saying the performance is too high hitting .52's in games? I agree if we are talking .44 or .40. But I hit and saw balls way farther and easier with scn2's and .44's than .52's and today's bats. It's not even close.
I don't know who you're referencing, but if it was me then yes. We still hit 40 and 44 here most of the time and nobody can keep them in the park. I play e so it's not like we're actual powerhouses. 70 degrees out below and it takes a conscious effort to keep it in the park.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know who you're referencing, but if it was me then yes. We still hit 40 and 44 here most of the time and nobody can keep them in the park. I play e so it's not like we're actual powerhouses. 70 degrees out below and it takes a conscious effort to keep it in the park.

All you guys need to do is switch to .52's and problem solved. I agree anything harder and the performance is stupid.

milesej05

The Rookie
We are playing ball with a different organization this fall compared to what what we normally play and it will definitely be different. I have only ever hit Classic plus (.52/275) or ASA (.52/300) with my bats. I do have a few Classic M's in my BP bag but just a handful. The fall league uses Classic M's and only has a limit of 3 HR's. During spring/summer ball using Classic +'s, we would hit between 1 and 5 HR's a game...I don't know how much I am looking forward to playing with .40 cor balls, especially in the colder weather.