I just don't get it anymore...

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing in our local NSA league. Very early in the first game of a double header I catch a guy swinging a Jak'd Nemesys. I call this to the umpire's attention and the other team starts coming unglued about the bat being legal, they've been through this before, just play the game, etc., etc. Well, the ump is clueless as what to do and has no bat list, so for whatever strange reason, the bat gets put in the scorers box. I let him know that if he deems the bat legal, I'll be filing a protest of his decision. The game finishes and we are the losers. Second game starts and the second batter trots out with the Jak'd again. I ask the ump WTF? Was there a ruling on the bat? He says yes, it's legal. I say ok, I'm now protesting both games which really gets the other team going but for some strange reason, they put the bat away. The rest of the game goes on with a few guys sniping here and there about "protest this" and and "protest that" even to the point of getting on the ump about me wearing my hat backwards when catching. Second game ends (we lose again) and a league official asks for the bat at the center of the protest. The other team responds by saying that they put it in the car and that it wasn't available.... Walking back to the parking lot, I'm talking with one of the outspoken members of the other team who tells me I should drop the protest because we're just trying to get cheap wins and that we're going to have to pay ump fees again to replay the games, etc. etc. basically admiting that he knows that he's a liar.
I just wish the stinking umpire would have done his job, called an out, ejected the batter and gone on. Should I feel like the bad guy here? I don't mind getting beat, and I'll be the first to admit that we were outclassed by the other team but I'll be damned if I let someone blatantly flaunt the rules and just "play the game"....
Anyhow, protest fees paid, written protest submitted, waiting for results.

Last edited:

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Did the right thing..probably should have said to them "we'll use our special sticks then". You'll have to update this when you find out what happens...you were in the right.

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
So did they use it or not? Is the bat the reason you lost?

They used it in both games but only until they learned I was intending to file a protest. The first game the ump put it in the scorers box, the second game, they just put it away for whatever reason.

Is the bat the reason we lost, no. I would say that it was not used enough in either game to have an effect on the outcome.

Last edited:

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
Should have had a U2 in your bag...ijs... :D

I like the way you think, but that's just a little too blatant for me.;) I'd bet 99% of the people in our league wouldn't blink twice at a Jak'd because they've never seen or heard of one before. Hell, I wouldn't have had I not been a member here for as long as I have.

Last edited:

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
bring a copy of the rules and a bat list to every game. if the ump doesnt know the rules, educate him...

It's online, and I had my Android phone, tried to show him but he wasn't interested. Maybe I need to go back to old-school print....

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
There's one team in my (ASA bats only) league that have a yellow catty and an NRG 600, I and other teams have called them on it before and the league has talked to them about the bats but they have a new guy that pulls out the catty against us and I call it, he says "what? ive been using this all year". So I said, fine, you wanna cheat THAT bad, go ahead, were all gonna use our worst bat just to make a point. They still only managed 2 homers and 9 runs, we all used a 2006 doublewall distance and we hit 8 homeruns and scored 26 runs. Just goes to show that cheaters dont always win. Thing is, theyll just keep trying to sneak them into games against teams that dont know their bats.

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
Who cares if they wanted to use that bat, its a utrip bat without the stamp.

I'ts less about what they use and more about how they react and conduct themselves and about how the umpire handled the situation. Like I said, there was no doubt that we were outclassed by the other team. I guess I liken it to a professional boxer going up against a untrained amature in a match and the pro using brass knuckles in his gloves just because he can get away with it.

wink

Winkleton
I love calling teams on bats!
Doesn't happen often, though.

One time a team had a using an OG Freak, we didn't say a word! So we started using an OG Ultra. They call us on it:eek:. Our coach says. Oh, I thought they had changed to utrip rules, when I saw you guys using that Freak. Denial at first, saying it was a Freak98. then they said they pulled it out by accident.:rolleyes:

I think that's my only cool story

hydro1

Addicted to Softballfans
The difference between and jak'D bat and a freak + or whatever u-trip bat you use is minuscule. I have access to many NSA bats they all hit far IMO. SO quit being a baby or go play tennis

landsharklager

GDC MULTI-PLATINUM MEMBER

One time a team had a using an OG Freak, we didn't say a word! So we started using an OG Ultra. They call us on it:eek:. Our coach says. Oh, I thought they had changed to utrip rules, when I saw you guys using that Freak. Denial at first, saying it was a Freak98. then they said they pulled it out by accident.:rolleyes:

This is how it is suppose to be played.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'ts less about what they use and more about how they react and conduct themselves and about how the umpire handled the situation. Like I said, there was no doubt that we were outclassed by the other team. I guess I liken it to a professional boxer going up against a untrained amature in a match and the pro using brass knuckles in his gloves just because he can get away with it.

Listen to these guys. You're being a baby expecting people to play by the rules. You're also probably being a hater by not acting like they did when they were called on it. These are the times we live in. Gone are the days when someone would play stupid and just put the bat away. Now they try and bully you and the ump into allowing it.

Last edited:

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
I wish LDs would implement rules before each season telling everyone involved, that if you get caught bringing a banned or illegal bat to the batters box, you will be called out the 1st time it happens, and cant play again that game. The 2nd time your team does it, the game forfeited, and the bat will be confiscated and destroyed. Period. End of debate. Keep the banned bats and cheater bats at home, or lose them forever. Everyone knows the rules, and if you get caught, you can blame no one but yourself.

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
Gotta love it. Some d-bags want to cheat and you're the bad guy for calling them out on it. And the umps are too stupid to know the rules.

Rmc1981

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league goes through all that threatening stuff before every season, then sends out emails during season. Problem is proving it. Sure if you see a bat that you know is on the banned list, it's simple - assuming you have a copy which I do. But what about all the shaved bats. Played a team with a painted ultra the other night. Can't prove it to the ump. Can't prove they've been shaved.

Are there any solutions for this problem that are effective?

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans

Would have been funny to see that. I'm betting the other team started plotting in how to get thier hands on an Ultra as soon as the game was over.

Last edited:

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
The difference between and jak'D bat and a freak + or whatever u-trip bat you use is minuscule. I have access to many NSA bats they all hit far IMO. SO quit being a baby or go play tennis

That's your opinion and I respect it. Hovever, my opinion is if a Jak'd was not that much different, why didn't they submit it for testing? CE Composites is in Canada just like Jak'd and they make plenty of bats for the US sanctions....

I can't imagine a company saying "No we only want to sell a small number of bats and just make a little money"....

Last edited:

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
Listen to these guys. You're being a baby expecting people to play by the rules. You're also probably being a hater by not acting like they did when they were called on it. These are the times we live in. Gone are the days when someone would play stupid and just put the bat away. Now they try and bully you and the ump into allowing it.

Yup, you get exactly what I don't understand! :D

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish LDs would implement rules before each season telling everyone involved, that if you get caught bringing a banned or illegal bat to the batters box, you will be called out the 1st time it happens, and cant play again that game. The 2nd time your team does it, the game forfeited, and the bat will be confiscated and destroyed. Period. End of debate. Keep the banned bats and cheater bats at home, or lose them forever. Everyone knows the rules, and if you get caught, you can blame no one but yourself.

The rules are already there in both the NSA rulebook and the addition league rules on the website. Sadly, the issue here is getting the powers that be to actually enforce them...