Ideas for coaching drills for girls U10

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
Does anyone have any good drill ideas, our pitchers and catchers will be at a clinic and im stuck with the infield and outfield for 2 hours. I usually warm them up, callistitics, hit from a tee, then live hitting, one girl at a time, then they rotate to another coach for other drills. While the other coaches do infield and outfield drills. So I got the whole works from now on..please help.

CHROME DOME

Addicted to Softballfans
try softballskillsdotcom...my daughter attended skills clinics this winter where these skills/drills were done, HUGE improvment on her defensive skills.

deavin_17

Addicted to Softballfans
Cut off relays good for both OF'ers and IF'ers. You can make it into a races as well which is fun for kids.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
One problem we constantly have is the girls throwing "rainbows" to first base or just not having accurate throws. One drill I did was to set up a bucket (or some other target) at about what would be chest height for the average 10U player (so maybe 3.5 to 4 feet) and have them take grounders and come up throwing in an attempt to knock the bucket off. A rainbow throw won't have the oomph to knock it off even if it hits it, so they have to concentrate on making a good hard throw. I had them take the grounders from all over the infield for that. Following that drill, I set up a parent with a glove at first base and ran the same drill. They were making some great throws to first at that point. They had fun with it, too.

Don't under-value fly balls and pop-ups either. A lot of 10U players will see a pop-up, wait for it to hit the ground then pick it up and try to throw the girl out at first (even though by the time the ball came down, the girl was returning to first having already run through it).

I'm going to have to check out that website as well. Thanks :)

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
I coach a 9-10's girls team. Biggest thing I find is the lack of aggressiveness in the field and once they have the ball not knowing what to do with it. I motivate my IF during practice by getting out there with them and challenging them to field it before I get it. For pop flies start with a tennis racket and tennis balls, so they can get the technic down before they take one in the grill.

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
One problem we constantly have is the girls throwing "rainbows" to first base or just not having accurate throws. One drill I did was to set up a bucket (or some other target) at about what would be chest height for the average 10U player (so maybe 3.5 to 4 feet) and have them take grounders and come up throwing in an attempt to knock the bucket off. A rainbow throw won't have the oomph to knock it off even if it hits it, so they have to concentrate on making a good hard throw. I had them take the grounders from all over the infield for that. Following that drill, I set up a parent with a glove at first base and ran the same drill. They were making some great throws to first at that point. They had fun with it, too.

Don't under-value fly balls and pop-ups either. A lot of 10U players will see a pop-up, wait for it to hit the ground then pick it up and try to throw the girl out at first (even though by the time the ball came down, the girl was returning to first having already run through it).

I'm going to have to check out that website as well. Thanks :)

I like this one....going to have to try it.

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
I coach a 9-10's girls team. Biggest thing I find is the lack of aggressiveness in the field and once they have the ball not knowing what to do with it. I motivate my IF during practice by getting out there with them and challenging them to field it before I get it. For pop flies start with a tennis racket and tennis balls, so they can get the technic down before they take one in the grill.

This is a great idea. Theyve been using wiffle balls, but they are too light

jadavis711

Manager
If you have girls that are not aggressive on the infield, take the fastest girl on the team and time her running from home to first with a stop watch. Start the timer as she starts her swing and stop the timer when she touches first base. Then tell the infielders that they have that amount of time on any ground ball hit to get it to first...just have the person catching in or maybe a parent or coach, if available to do the stopwatch. They will need to start the stopwatch when you make contact with the ball and obviously stop it when they get the ball to first. Softball is a game of milliseconds and anything that can be done consistently faster is never a bad thing. Hope this helps.

casedawg51

Vinci Rep/Fastpitch
I take one of those tall plant hanger hooks and drive it in the ground and hang a water bottle full of water from it. from SS to 1B distance, the first girl to hit the bottle clean gets to pour it on my head after practice. They LOVE that game. If it is hot I don't mind it either.

Had my first 12U Rec practice today. Have some girls that are true rookies to the game. Interesting to say the least. My travel DD gets up to hit so I shift a couple travel girls to 3rd and SS to be safe. She walks up with her gamer 5B. I look at her with that Dad look. She mouths "Just one?" She hits a one hop laser off the fence and the new girls just ohh and ahh. Such a show off.

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
If you have girls that are not aggressive on the infield, take the fastest girl on the team and time her running from home to first with a stop watch. Start the timer as she starts her swing and stop the timer when she touches first base. Then tell the infielders that they have that amount of time on any ground ball hit to get it to first...just have the person catching in or maybe a parent or coach, if available to do the stopwatch. They will need to start the stopwatch when you make contact with the ball and obviously stop it when they get the ball to first. Softball is a game of milliseconds and anything that can be done consistently faster is never a bad thing. Hope this helps.

Great idea.
I have good ideas, but I can never remember them at the fields.

Southern Heat

This is an interesting thread. I am just an assistant but I feel that i do more research than the head coach does. These are some really good ideas.

My daughter is in a 10U league but she has been playing for 5 years now and she is easy to coach. i never knew what to do to teach these "newer" girls lthe right way to play. I do use my daughter for a lot of it because I can say this is how you do it. I still need to up my knowledge because she is very good (every year all-star and MVP of the USSSA World Series last year) and I don't know what ways to teach her some of the proper mechanics of pitching, which she is doing this year for the first time. Are there any good free videos that I can get or articles I can read to better train her?

bud27

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know what ways to teach her some of the proper mechanics of pitching, which she is doing this year for the first time. Are there any good free videos that I can get or articles I can read to better train her?

Maven Video "The Basics & Fundamentals for windmill Pitchers 1 2 3 "is a great Start for you and her to learn from.

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
This is an interesting thread. I am just an assistant but I feel that i do more research than the head coach does. These are some really good ideas.

My daughter is in a 10U league but she has been playing for 5 years now and she is easy to coach. i never knew what to do to teach these "newer" girls lthe right way to play. I do use my daughter for a lot of it because I can say this is how you do it. I still need to up my knowledge because she is very good (every year all-star and MVP of the USSSA World Series last year) and I don't know what ways to teach her some of the proper mechanics of pitching, which she is doing this year for the first time. Are there any good free videos that I can get or articles I can read to better train her?

The clinic they were talking about for practice the other night was actually a Guy that the head coach paid to have and come down to the fields for technical training. Apparently he is really good, even belongs to an association. Ill find out more tomorrow, but it is good to know that this is available

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
I don't know what ways to teach her some of the proper mechanics of pitching, which she is doing this year for the first time. Are there any good free videos that I can get or articles I can read to better train her?

Maven Video "The Basics & Fundamentals for windmill Pitchers 1 2 3 "is a great Start for you and her to learn from.

My daughter wants to pitch so bad, but she is lacking something that I can't put my finger on. This video sounds like a good start.

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
My daughter wants to pitch so bad, but she is lacking something that I can't put my finger on. This video sounds like a good start.

Check around at your local high schools and colleges. See if any pitchers from those teams can donate an hour of their time

magro

Addicted to Softballfans
Does anyone have any good drill ideas, our pitchers and catchers will be at a clinic and im stuck with the infield and outfield for 2 hours. I usually warm them up, callistitics, hit from a tee, then live hitting, one girl at a time, then they rotate to another coach for other drills. While the other coaches do infield and outfield drills. So I got the whole works from now on..please help.

I have a proven longtoss program that can strengthentheir arms drastically if followed with discipline. If your interested pm me with email. Also paddles instead of gloves for infield drills will teach them to soften their hands

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player
I have a proven longtoss program that can strengthentheir arms drastically if followed with discipline. If your interested pm me with email. Also paddles instead of gloves for infield drills will teach them to soften their hands

Sent PM....thx

A.D.D.4HER

Part Time Player

This is working!! Great idea.

AzAthlete008

Addicted to Softballfans
Now this sounds like an intelligent converstation compared to other things i read on SBF....Glad to hear some other parents, and coaches chime in on simple drills....I'll have some new drills too! Thanks all.. Magro pm will be sent...

NO_MAAM

Addicted to Softballfans

Pitching fastpitch takes time especially for the younger girls.
My daughter pitched last fall for first time and threw about 30 - 40% strikes with about a 25-30mph avg. Major prob was the release point.
Been working this spring on being accurate and not worrying about throwing heat and now she throws about 60-70% strikes.
I think speed with younger girls is a huge problem they see an older girl throwing fast and they think there suppoesd to do the same.