Any If a batted ball falls on your head ....

psg2103

We play a friendly game every week, adhering to no particular set of rules, but are in a rule quandary: runner Bob was standing on second, when a pop-up dropped and hit him on the head. Say what you like about Bob's co-ordination, but shortstop Dean was unable to get to the ball because Bob was in the way. The ball dropped to the infield.

Runner Bob did NOT deliberately block fielder Dean, and umpire Jim did not invoke the infield fly rule.

Was Bob out because he was struck by a batted ball? Was he safe because he was on base? Was he out because he had an obligation to step off the base to let Dean catch the fly (Bob would have been out if Dean had his foot on the bag and the ball in his glove before Bob returned to the base)?

Is the batter out and does Bob advance to third?

Common sense suggests that Bob should do what he can to get out of the way of the ball, but that he is not required to step off the base, and as Bob is at times not the most graceful of fellows, getting conked on the noggin by the fly ball was a surprise to him.

We've had a professional baseball ump jump in to say Bob is out, as he should have let Dean field the ball. But this is softball, and Bob did not deliberately get in Dean's way.

Your thoughts please, ladies and Gentlemen?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Unless he intentionally interferes with the fielder attempting to make the catch, it's nothing.

In ASA, if it had already passed the nearest fielder, then the ball's live. If it had yet to pass the nearest fielder, then the ball is dead, and the batter-runner is awarded first base.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Now that you have the correct answer...

Just as a side note, the baseball rule and the softball rule are different on this play. In baseball standing on the base does NOT protect the runner from an interference call. If this were a baseball game then the runner bonked on the noggin could be called out (subject to all of the usual rules about batted balls hitting runners, like the ball having passed an infielder or not).

The reason that the two sports evolved different rules to cover the exact same play is that in baseball runners are allowed to lead off. In softball runners are restricted to the base until either the ball leaves the pitcher's hand (fastpitch) or the ball reaches the plate or is batted (slow pitch).

A runner in baseball has more options to avoid the ball and will normally be off the base before the ball is even pitched. Since a softball runner is kind of stuck on the base, his options are limited. If the ball hits him when he's on the base, the rules cut him some slack because he's standing exactly where the rules require him to be.

ureout

The Veteran

Runner Bob did NOT deliberately block fielder Dean, and umpire Jim did not invoke the infield fly rule The infield fly rule wouldn't be called with a runner only on 2nd

ureout

The Veteran
all he said is that bob was on 2nd. he didn't say bob was the only baserunner

no that isn't all he said.... he gave a very thorough scenario including the names of the runner, fielder and umpire....I would think he would have added that.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Clearly bob was not the only base runner because he said umpire did not invoke infield fly rule. There would be no reason to say that unless there were runners on all bases or first and second because it could not be invoked otherwise and would not be mentioned.

Which brings to me my point of why was infield fly not called on a pop up to the base??

ureout

The Veteran
Clearly bob was not the only base runner because he said umpire did not invoke infield fly rule. There would be no reason to say that unless there were runners on all bases or first and second because it could not be invoked otherwise and would not be mentioned.

Which brings to me my point of why was infield fly not called on a pop up to the base??

really where did he say that in his scenario....he just states runner on 2nd...maybe O/P does not know the definition of an IF rule

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
really where did he say that in his scenario....he just states runner on 2nd...maybe O/P does not know the definition of an IF rule

He doesn't just state runner is on 2nd. He also states umpire did not invoke infield fly. Why say that??

So are you assuming or am I? Not so sure anymore, are you big guy? Joker may be correct.

ureout

The Veteran
He doesn't just state runner is on 2nd. He also states umpire did not invoke infield fly. Why say that??

So are you assuming or am I? Not so sure anymore, are you big guy? Joker may be correct.

LMAO....that would be "MR. big guy" to you

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless he intentionally interferes with the fielder attempting to make the catch or the batted ball, it's nothing.

In ASA, if it had already passed the nearest fielder, then the ball's live. If it had yet to pass the nearest fielder, then the ball is dead, and the batter-runner is awarded first base.

Fixed that for you

sjury

The Old Man
I'm just here for the additional comments, since NCASAump answered the question... Please carry on.

Most umpires call the IF rule either

A) off the bat if a fielder is in the expected vacinity before the ball even reaches the apex of flight, (i.e. a fielder backtracking into short outfield never completely under the ball/whether a fielder actually had a play at it or not, be it positioning of player, short ball flight or misjudgment), or

B) once a fielder stops moving towards making a play at the ball and takes his stationery position to field the ball, implying ordinary effort.

(Not saying one is right or one is wrong but ive seen and you will see both in league gameplay
ESPECIALLY non-sanctioned leagues gameplay)

without an explanation of where the nearest fielder was, the flight of the ball was, the umpire was and any expressions he showed during the entirety if the play, and the actions taken by the fielder during ball flight as well the maybes are endless as to why, unless he just forgot, which i hope, furthering the rediculousness of this play.

Last edited: