if you're harbaugh

Primo

fat and famous pablo
the question wasnt framed that way.....i said "who you go with" at best, thats extremely vague......i could have meant "to the prom with" for all you know......all blaming ur short sightedness on me and ****

justinstp

PayPal Ready
If you're Alex Smith, are you genuinely supportive of this guy? Or, are you like, "**** this guy"? I would be absolutely pissed. People can say what they want about him making all that money to sit on the bench, but the fact is he doesn't deserve to be there. If you're a professional athlete, you want to be on the field. I don't know how much longer he can go without making some sort of damning statement.

rossthefireman

mexicola
Most of us Niner fans have been calling for Smiths head for years. Now he manages games and has success under the Harbaugh system. I do think however that Harbaugh sees in Kaepernick a guy who is willing to be a little more of a gun slinger. I think Harbaugh sees a bit of himself in Kaepernick versus I think he sees Dilfer v2.0 in Smith.
For Smith, he should ask for a release and no fewer than five teams would give their left nut for him right now.
For us Niner fans, it's In Harbaugh We Trust.....

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i think a lot of you forget how bad smith was.......his body of work without harbaugh, w/o looking, has to be somewhat terrible

rossthefireman

mexicola
Niner fans haven't forgot. Basically us fans have been waiting for the wheels to fall off and for Smith to start playing like he did before Harbaugh. After the Giants game most Bay Area sports people were like ' is it time to put in Kapernick ?'
No Niner fan trusts Smith solely due to his previous work.

rossthefireman

mexicola
Niner fans haven't forgot. Basically us fans have been waiting for the wheels to fall off and for Smith to start playing like he did before Harbaugh. After the Giants game most Bay Area sports people were like ' is it time to put in Kapernick ?'
No Niner fan trusts Smith solely due to his previous work.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
thats where im at.....and i followed the 9ers prwetty close because i was dorm neighbors with shaun hill.....but ****, were 8 years in. wanna know why theres a controversy? its because you havent been good enough. ya....****ty deal on all the oc's and coaches.....not my problem. theyd still be there had you won.....

rbarker26

Star Player
i think kaper has the potential to be a great qb, and i think he will, but right now I much rather see smith in there. Has smith done anything to lose his job? imo, the answer to that is no. The niners power running game is much better with smith because he is much more comfortable under center than kaper, so they can run those power packages and not have to run out of the shotgun. I understand that the niners have to pass, but that offense is built on power running and gore. smith fits in better in that type of offense than kaper.

Stretch19

Grow up
how can you say the run game is better with Smith, when Kaepernick gives your team an additional run element to it? not to mention his ability to throw the ball down field allows the entire field to open up more so than with Smith under center...

do you really think someone has to be 'comfortable under center' in order to run the power offense? if anything, running the zone read with Kaepernick is far more challenging than lining up and playing power football. if anything, you would utilize the power run game if you were not 'comfortable under center' and skilled enough to run the zone read out of the shotgun

3XC

Big Truss
thats where im at.....and i followed the 9ers prwetty close because i was dorm neighbors with shaun hill.....but ****, were 8 years in. wanna know why theres a controversy? its because you havent been good enough. ya....****ty deal on all the oc's and coaches.....not my problem. theyd still be there had you won.....

Was Drew Bledsoe "not good enough" when he got hurt and got replaced by some 6th round unknown commodity, and never got his job back?

It has less to do with Smith and more to do with Harbaugh seemingly want to play with all his toys. There is no reason to bench Smith, none whatsoever, other than the desire to see what someone else can do. And now he knows.

To be honest, guys get benched/replaced/outplayed all the time at other positions, but only at QB does anyone notice. Hey, what do you guys think of Bobbie Williams being replaced by Jah Reid at left guard for the Ravens? Huge gamble there. Those Harbaughs, always ****ing **** up.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
also, the offense may be run oriented because smith cant do anything else. moss, manningham, crabtree, walker, davis, hunter......thats as good of a cast, top to bottom, as it gets. all those guys can flat get open. especially when u have to respect the run game

packerbacker796

Bi-Polar as they Come
the QB output is almost the same with both of them. Super Bowl last year with Alex Smith if that dude doesn't muff them punts. Smith is due $8.5 bonus next year also.

3XC

Big Truss
Newton has been a big fantasy disappointment in 2012. The bar was sky high, he isn't some transcendent megastar, just another big QB with good skills that needs to mentally improve.

Rodgers too. What a letdown. Tom Brady is still the best, with Peyton on his heels. Nothing changed in that regard. 2011 was an aberration.

STOMPKIN

Stelio Kontos
Vernon Davis dropped a perfect pass last night, not long after his only pass caught on the night gets called back for holding. That said, I'm down for whichever 9'ers QB figures out how to get the ****ing ball to V Davis, I need my FP's.

Roll1

OBGYN
Its not what smith has done to get Benched but its what he doesn't do.
Alex Smith is a very good Quarter back under pristine conditions. However even under slightly uncomfortable pressure he tends to look at his shoes. For this reason he rarely gets through his progressions, stops looking down field to early and can not extend plays on a consistent basis.
Harbaugh knows that being able to step up in the pocket and do the things I mentioned above are critical.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
lots of people say that.....and actually, henry said it.....from a narrative perspective. now go warm me up some egg noodles and ketchup.......and put some hummus on that ****

jsogle

1-2 hole masher
Niners

I have been a niner fan for 30+ years and Alex Smith has done well the last few years. But it seems to me that the play calling has opened up a bit the last 2 games with more passes going down field then before. That being said it seems like the coaching staff has more confidence in Kap down the field than Smith, so there is more they are willing to do with the playbook. Which makes it even more difficult for teams to plan for us.

With all that my biggest concern is the locker room. A decision has to be made and made quickly because that locker room is unified and the longer this drags out the more divided it will become and that will hurt us.

As far as last year Kyle Williams hurt us that game but if our offense produces on third down we still win that game, and with Smith it did not. He played a great game against the Saints and I was at that game to see it first hand...awesome! But the Giants game was not good and he stumbled.

So my vote is go with Kap and cut the ties with Smith. Time to move on!

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I hate the stupid **** about you should never lose your job to an injury. As a sports fan I want the player on the field who gives you the best chance to win. Kaepernick looked good on Sunday against a pretty mediocre Saints defense. He is more mobile than Smith and I really like his ability to end the play. That said Alex Smith has gotta be the guy if the Niners wants to win this year. Kaepernick has a chance to be a franchise QB which Smith will never be but he also has 1.5 games of NFL experience under his belt, Smith just gives them a better shot to win a super bowl at QB

This all said I still shake my head that P. Manning signed with Denver instead of SF. With Manning at QB and the weapons the niners have on offense and the best defense in the NFL the Niners would be a big favorite to win a super bowl this year. If Manning really wanted to win a Super Bowl he made the wrong choice.

jsogle

1-2 hole masher
Amen!!!!!!

rhound50 you are so right....Manning made the wrong decision. It would be nice to see him in the super bowl and then destroy the broncos in it just as a little told you so Manning!

Last edited:

ssf1234

Addicted to Softballfans
As far as last year Kyle Williams hurt us that game but if our offense produces on third down we still win that game, and with Smith it did not. He played a great game against the Saints and I was at that game to see it first hand...awesome! But the Giants game was not good and he stumbled..............
Exactly... Thank you, Kyle Williams hurt us but didn't lose the game. 1 for 16 on 3rd downs lost us the game! Lol.

Two_Three

Insert Penis Below
Are you saying that Manning can't win a SB in Denver? Tebow beat the Steelers in the playoffs. He could do it this season, I don't think he will, but wouldn't surprise me.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
rhound50 you are so right....Manning made the wrong decision. It would be nice to see him in the super bowl and then destroy the broncos in it just as a little told you so Manning!

Payton wanted to run the offense and that wasn't happening in SF.