Ignite

bpm91

Addicted to Softballfans
Anybody give this a shot yet? My league removed the Pyrotech (designated as high-powered) from our legal list and replaced it with the Ignite, so I may be looking for a comparable replacement.

Here's the batlist for your perusal:

http://www.playphillysports.com/2012batlist.html

I have the green and blue Ritch's Superiors and a Team Lighthouse to fall back on, but I will miss the Pyrotech if they don't legalize it again.

Last edited:

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Why the hell would they "remove" the Pyrotech? Anyhow yea, get the Ignight, I had a KSP when it cam out and was a very nice bat.

bpm91

Addicted to Softballfans
Why the hell would they "remove" the Pyrotech? Anyhow yea, get the Ignight, I had a KSP when it cam out and was a very nice bat.

No idea. It was legal in the previous season, but it does look like they moved a significant amount of bats from legal to illegal.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
So this league has banned the Pyrotech and the KSP, but the Ignite's legal (for now)? Don't tell them that the Ignite is the new KSP, which was the Pyrotech. These bats have only gotten better over time.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Your league is lame. Not because they're singlewall, and not because they don't allow non-dangerous bats ... but because they ban them after the fact, probably after a good player swings them and some nervous-Nelly blames the bat for the hitter's good performance.

Your LD should (get someone to) do research and get "ahead of the curve" ... ruling on a bat when it is first released not after the players buy them.

Last edited:

bradblah

Weeeeee
Your league is lame. Not because they're singlewall, and not because they don't allow non-dangerous bats ... but because they ban them after the fact, probably after a good player swings them and some nervous-Nelly blames the bat for the hitter's good performance.

Your LD should (get someone to) do research and get "ahead of the curve" ... ruling on a bat when it is first released not after the players buy them.

i play in a sub-division of this league - the manayunk sport and social, and it's even worse. they have no pre-made bat list but when a guy hits a ball too far with a bat, they ban it. we used a 2012 raw steel all last season and before the championship game we were told they banned it. (a guy on the other team worked for the league...)

i've wasted so much money on bats from this league bc they constantly keep banning whatever we use.

bpm91

Addicted to Softballfans
What a pain in the ass. My team left PSN because they would cancel games 4 days ahead of time for weather conditions. We ended up playing our final game 12/21/11 when the league should have finished late November.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
LOL. The KSP is illegal because it is "high powered." :D

I think the question is moot now, but I'll answer it anyway. The Ignite > The PyroTech.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Why do they have the NanoTek under "ASA banned bats"?

There isn't a single bat Anderson made that ASA banned.

bpm91

Addicted to Softballfans
You're welcome. The FlexTech is decent too.

Also try an older Demarini Ultimate Weapon. Avoid the newer ones.

My teammate has the Flex, another has an older UW, all silver with orange lettering.

We'll be using mush balls, .44/375 Baden. Between all the bats we have, I don't think I'll need to buy the Ignite unless a deal pops up on the Anderson marketplace... let me know if one comes up.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
My teammate has the Flex, another has an older UW, all silver with orange lettering.

We'll be using mush balls, .44/375 Baden. Between all the bats we have, I don't think I'll need to buy the Ignite unless a deal pops up on the Anderson marketplace... let me know if one comes up.

Ah, you're set then. Good luck to ya!

bradblah

Weeeeee
What a pain in the ass. My team left PSN because they would cancel games 4 days ahead of time for weather conditions. We ended up playing our final game 12/21/11 when the league should have finished late November.

your post today made me go back and see if MSSC made any changes this off season...here is what i found on the rules page.... (this is a singlewall metal league just FYI..):

1. NO COMPOSITE BATS OF ANY KIND

- DeMarini, Anderson and Miken bats will be heavily scrutinized before determining legality. We strongly suggest not using these bats in our league. The level of competition and fields we play on are not equipt for these types of bats.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay

How does this league even continue to exist? Is there really nowhere else to play. Between this and the bat list (well critiqued by BigShep, as always), I'm surprised anyone would put up with that.

bradblah

Weeeeee
How does this league even continue to exist? Is there really nowhere else to play. Between this and the bat list (well critiqued by BigShep, as always), I'm surprised anyone would put up with that.

there really isn't a whole lot in the way of organized softball here in Philly...outside of the league he's in, the one he left, and the one i'm in it's mainly all small bar leagues.

there are a few out in the suburbs that pretty decent, but we don't have a lot to choose from.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Believe it or not, I've seen leagues with much stricter bat lists...

But a stricter bat list might have some logic to it. Like how Shep put it, it seems like many singlewall bats are banned arbitrarily. Keeping the Ignite (for now) and banning the KSP and Pyrotech. . . what's the reasoning/logic behind that?

It looks like the bats that are allowed are either A) sold in department stores, or B) out of production for some time, reducing the likelihood that they'll be used. If Mongo shows up and mashes with a Supercell 2 or a Jacoby, then what?

Leagues that are this worked up over a bat list should consider providing bats, or just go to wood-only. And I'm surprised a city as large as Philadelphia doesn't have a more robust softball scene--someone should start their own ASA/NSA/Utrip league and see what happens. I can appreciate the purist intent with this league, but it looks like they've stopped short of requiring helmets and pads for fielders.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
your post today made me go back and see if MSSC made any changes this off season...here is what i found on the rules page.... (this is a singlewall metal league just FYI..):

1. NO COMPOSITE BATS OF ANY KIND

- DeMarini, Anderson and Miken bats will be heavily scrutinized before determining legality. We strongly suggest not using these bats in our league. The level of competition and fields we play on are not equipt for these types of bats.

But Eastons and Worths are otherwise GTG, provided they're not composite?

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
But a stricter bat list might have some logic to it. Like how Shep put it, it seems like many singlewall bats are banned arbitrarily. Keeping the Ignite (for now) and banning the KSP and Pyrotech. . . what's the reasoning/logic behind that?

It looks like the bats that are allowed are either A) sold in department stores, or B) out of production for some time, reducing the likelihood that they'll be used. If Mongo shows up and mashes with a Supercell 2 or a Jacoby, then what?

Leagues that are this worked up over a bat list should consider providing bats, or just go to wood-only. And I'm surprised a city as large as Philadelphia doesn't have a more robust softball scene--someone should start their own ASA/NSA/Utrip league and see what happens. I can appreciate the purist intent with this league, but it looks like they've stopped short of requiring helmets and pads for fielders.

I'm almost certain it's as Shep says: they allow bat X, then some guy hits well with bat X and the league goes, "Uh oh!!! That bat's too hot! Ban it!"

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
I'm almost certain it's as Shep says: they allow bat X, then some guy hits well with bat X and the league goes, "Uh oh!!! That bat's too hot! Ban it!"

We might be on our way to the first league to ban all Andersons. . . a true testament to the performance of metal!

To the OP, get an Ignite, Flextech, and Jacoby. Then dominate the league until those bats are banned. Prove their fallacy!

bradblah

Weeeeee

I've offered my help to this league several different times in ways to come up with a better bat management. Last year in the championship game (where my '12 RAW was banned) a guy walked up with Salvo...he was allowed to use it b/c it didnt say composite on the bat...even though I showed them eastons website where it says composite.

If someone wanted to take the time to organize a proper city-wide softball league it would blow up. The league I'm in has 40-50 rec teams, and about 20 competitive teams - that's just weekday. They also do Friday, Saturday, & Sunday leagues individually.

The money they charge is absurd for the conditions we play in too, but it's the only thing around.

They are too cheap to provide bats and they've talked about wood before, but nothing has come of it.

bpm91

Addicted to Softballfans
I've offered my help to this league several different times in ways to come up with a better bat management. Last year in the championship game (where my '12 RAW was banned) a guy walked up with Salvo...he was allowed to use it b/c it didnt say composite on the bat...even though I showed them eastons website where it says composite.

If someone wanted to take the time to organize a proper city-wide softball league it would blow up. The league I'm in has 40-50 rec teams, and about 20 competitive teams - that's just weekday. They also do Friday, Saturday, & Sunday leagues individually.

The money they charge is absurd for the conditions we play in too, but it's the only thing around.

They are too cheap to provide bats and they've talked about wood before, but nothing has come of it.

To be honest, my team members and I have considered this. The problem is fields are just not big enough to keep the balls in play all the time, hence restrictive (though at times arbitrary) batlist. Some fields are just on city blocks that have cars parked on all four sides, raising insurance liabilities for broken windows and dents, so to counteract, the one wooden bat league made homeruns automatic outs. Ugh.

The fields that are big enough are already monopolized by the two existing Philly leagues for softball, flag football, and high school sports.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
So the Nanotech SP is there but not the SPA....You may be able to sneak one of these in there or talk to the LD about getting it on the list.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
SPA is listed under "high-powered illegal".

yea, just saw that. At least the reasoning is all somewhat fair...Better than having an LD think he's a chemistry expert and stating that the Nano is illegal because there's different layers of metal to make up the singlewall. SMH:rolleyes:

tumblebug

My name is NEO!
We might be on our way to the first league to ban all Andersons. . . a true testament to the performance of metal!

To the OP, get an Ignite, Flextech, and Jacoby. Then dominate the league until those bats are banned. Prove their fallacy!

That ship sailed two years ago.