Illegal bats?

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey guys, I took a year off from softball but am planning to come back this year in multiple leagues.

Most of my area, as far as I know anyhow lol, is USSSA and it seems I missed the whole bat transition. My question/concern is in regards to, "what bats are top right now?", "what are the rules with previous bats", (I have an old ASA Balanced Easton Stealth from 2004 that I never REALLY broke in, a Jeff Hall 1st Degree Bass End load and a balanced Miken MV-3, which was the one I really preferred and hit the best with) and looking for general information on the relationship, in regards to bats, between USSSA and ASA (just in case I run into an ASA league or tourney here). In the past, if I recall, ASA bats could be used in USSSA but not vice-versa. Is that still the same or has that changed with all the rules modifications?

Any help is appreciated, just looking for some good feedback and info for someone coming back into the fold. Thanks and talk soon!:thumb:

--Wik

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Easy for USSSA now: No thumbprint stamp, you can't play. With the changes between the two associations bat rules, new ASA bats with the slow pitch only stamp can out perform a USSSA stamped bat. We are starting to see better bats that have both stamps but they are not all that common at the moment.

Warmack14

Extra Hitter
A lot of bat performance depends on the ball you use. That being said we run a .40/300 decker blue shark and my 2015 miken dc41 is a very good bat. also seen good things from the 2 piece pyscho and the demarini flipper

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey guys, thanks for the info!

As far as which balls...I don't know for a fact but I'm under the impression (since we are using USSSA bat rules) that we will be using the standard USSSA approved softballs (isn't it .30/325??? Can't recall atm!).

A few years back I bought my bats through a site which I have once again found. The Miken Super Freak 1 piece and Miken Super Freak 2 piece are highly regarded and strongly suggested when I called and spoke to them. I haven't heard much of anything about these bats here on this forum, however. They also said that the dc41 is very good but as far as I have seen, it only comes with the big end load and that tends to really throw my swing off (one of the major reasons I could never adjust and get used to the 1st Degree Bass).

When I spoke directly to Miken, they showed the Psycho and Freak. I have a local store which has Demarinis available that I can test out prior to purchase (hopefully the Flipper as you mentioned and seems to be a very popular one), which is really nice.

Any info or feedback on the bats that have been suggested that I listed above? Obviously, as you mentioned, assuming the ball I mentioned is what will be used in game.

Really appreciate the help. Hope to talk again soon.

Regards,

Wik

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok found out I think that typical USSSA balls are 52/300? Assuming that is what we use then.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
A Classic M is 40/325, the Classic Plus is 52/275.

Yes, you will need the new thumbprint stamp for sanctioned play but you said this is for league. Leagues can allow whatever they want. One of mine allows all new stamps and (with a few exceptions) any older bat that just says "1.20 BPF". Which is nearly every ASA and Utrip bat from 2000-2012.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Ahhh interesting...so it maybe, for league play, I won't have to even change what I'm packing?

Do the bats that I mentioned I'm using previously sell still? It has occurred to me that I could sell and upgrade as well, but I didn't initially think anyone would be buying these...I would figure even letting them go on the cheap I maybe could get decent $$$...

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
Every league is different. I played in Texas and any ASA or USSSA bat allowed (new or old stamp) and we supplied our own ball with a MAX of 44 375 allowed. Our local ASA league uses 44 375 and the one in Medford uses 52 300. Both only allow ASA bats.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
A Classic M is 40/325, the Classic Plus is 52/275.

Yes, you will need the new thumbprint stamp for sanctioned play but you said this is for league. Leagues can allow whatever they want. One of mine allows all new stamps and (with a few exceptions) any older bat that just says "1.20 BPF". Which is nearly every ASA and Utrip bat from 2000-2012.

In order for a league to be sanctioned or get USSSA insurance they must accept equipment rules whole. Every sanctioned league must follow the new bat rules this year. At least that is what I've been told by my State UIC, Deputy State UIC and State Director.

Jallennh

Very First Factory Hitter
This year, for insurance coverage reasons, ALL sanctioned leagues and tournies will require new bat stamps.