In such a bad slump

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw the knob at the ball and don't think about anything else. This helps me the most when I'm off; I keep my eyes on the ball and take the knob to the ball as aggressively as I can.

Video would help to make sure you are firing in the correct sequence, keeping your hands back, and shifting weight properly. Any one of these could be forcing you to overcompensate with your upper body and will lead to streaky and ineffective hitting. You may be forcing the bat through the zone instead of whipping it.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw the knob at the ball and don't think about anything else. This helps me the most when I'm off; I keep my eyes on the ball and take the knob to the ball as aggressively as I can.

Video would help to make sure you are firing in the correct sequence, keeping your hands back, and shifting weight properly. Any one of these could be forcing you to overcompensate with your upper body and will lead to streaky and ineffective hitting. You may be forcing the bat through the zone instead of whipping it.

I know that's what i'm doing for over 10 yrs now......

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Keep eyes on ball all the way til swing. If you start looking where you want ball to go, it makes it harder to get good contact.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i've been blah this season. i've cut back to one league, no tourneys. i've missed a few weeks, had a few rainouts, my bp partner has been gone all summer, and i've lost 60lbs since last season so i think my mechanics have changed. all those excuses have me flirting with .500...probably under....just not feeling it. and i just don't feel like i care much either. i'm already in "better luck next year"

tc86bmsn

Addicted to Softballfans
U bend back at the hips when you swing. Remember to stand tall, hips come just a split sec before your hands, your back leg should be the driving force for your hips, lead with the knob and snap your wrists to whip the bat through the zone.

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
Alot of times its your mind over thinking the situation. If you are over thinking somthing you have literally done thousands if not millions of times, your brain ****s you up. Try thinking about somthing completely unrealted to softball when stepping in the box. some athletes will hum or sing a song in their head and just let your body do what it knows how to do, since you have probably taken hundreds of thousands of softball swings in your life.

I agree with this statement 100%.

nwebber

Addicted to Softballfans
since i play league with this bro i can honestly say your way too anxious....youre jumping at the ball and not giving it time to travel to you...thats why your catching soo much endcap...my advice is to think about going up there and make an effort to use the whole field...id scoot off the plate and make a conscious effort to go oppo...mentally it helps you focus on letting the ball travel abit more and keeps you from attacking the ball too early...the majority of your balls are pulled with many of those balls on the outer half...btw....itd would help if you swung an EASTON!!!!! LOL

what he said!!! Try one game of going Oppo only, seems to work wonders for me and the guys I play with. If a buddy has a couple bad at bats, that's what you hear from everyone in the dugout. "go the other wayyour next up" 1 or 2 solid liners to right seems to fix it no matter what bat you're using.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
what he said!!! Try one game of going Oppo only, seems to work wonders for me and the guys I play with. If a buddy has a couple bad at bats, that's what you hear from everyone in the dugout. "go the other wayyour next up" 1 or 2 solid liners to right seems to fix it no matter what bat you're using.

will do............

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks....this has helped a lot (trying to go oppo).

now if I can just relax more at the plate

tdthrash

Addicted to Softballfans
When im struggling it seems i am not letting the ball get to me. Out in front of everything. I really make a conscious effort to hit the 3-4 hole for a few at bats. Usually clears it up.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
So.......................So much fail up in here......Not even the Op, but the advice that is being given..."Don't think............hit ball........." GTFO with that. That solves nothing.

Odog

Addicted to Softballfans
A lot of technical advice here..... how about go get a fatty and sacrifice here coochy for some good luck ;)

If that fails hit it at the pitcher till you get on :)

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
stuck out swinging last night for the 2nd time in my softball career .

after that got on base with a hit every time

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Watch the "bad little dude" videos on youtube, pay attention to the recurring theme through all the videos, and then you'll have your own little inner Ray Demarini telling you to relaaxxxx at the plate.

Relaxed and focused does it every time, but if that doesn't work, do what someone else says... just saying.

gbombs

Currently on the DL
Bang a fat bish!!! And take some bp.. When I get in a slump I usually just work on making contact and end up blowing up middle(no harm intended) but it's the only way I can break out of a slump

funfitfriendly

Starting Player
I recently read an article about athletic training, the best training is the type that most simulates the real thing. I have used mechanical pitching aids, throwing the ball up and hitting it and using a live pitcher. What works best is the live pitcher, find someone to throw balls to you and hit away. On the other hand, there is also positve mental imagery, where you imagine yourself standing in the hitters box and hitting your ideal hit. There was an interesting sports study that tested two groups of basketball shooters. One practiced in the gym for a month and the second group practiced just imagining their shots. At the end of the month there was only a small difference between the groups in increased shooting performance. So imagery does work as well but not as well as the real thing.

Last edited:

Fox27

Manager
Dayum my hitting is so bad right now (pretty much this whole season)

Feel like beating someone with my bats but I'd probably not get any good hits in anyways

:mad:

Don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but it's slowpitch you shouldn't get into much of a slump maybe few games where you can't buy a hit but that's about it just swing hard and knock someone over

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
yup...it is mental. too anxiuos at the plate.

also the idea of trying to go oppo helped. not pulling the ball foul much anymore.

rbarker26

Star Player
i've been sucking for the last 3-4 weeks too. last week i got a hit and took a walk, hopefully im starting to come out of it. about to take bp in a couple of hours, i feel like that helps a little also

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
i've been sucking for the last 3-4 weeks too. last week i got a hit and took a walk, hopefully im starting to come out of it. about to take bp in a couple of hours, i feel like that helps a little also

Yup sure does....haven't had time to bp at all for the last few weeks

mattgame

Manager
Don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but it's slowpitch you shouldn't get into much of a slump maybe few games where you can't buy a hit but that's about it just swing hard and knock someone over

Sometimes they just dont go where you want them to go. I'm sort of in a slump myself. I am a somewhat consistent homerun hitter. Meaning I dont hit them every game but I can also hit 2 or 3 in game. In my last nine games, I have hit none. I'm 46 so I am wondering that maybe I just don't have the distance anymore. It could be that I'm trying too hard. In either case, I do believe that even though it is slowpitch a slump is possible and go on for awhile.