Infield Mask

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm looking to pick up a infield mask for 3rd base. What are some of the better ones out there. Vision,comfort,etc.....

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Rip-It is light and has a great field of view. I wore one on the infield last year and it was pretty much unnoticeable. Schutt makes a rip-off that looks almost identical except for having 2 vertical bars instead of 1.

Both the Rip-It and Schutt are welded steel, I wouldn't step on a field with a plastic mask.

Honey Buns

My Twins Are My World
I tried a few different ones last year before settling on the Rip-It mask.
It was the only one I tried that I felt didn't screw with my peripheral vison and make it hard to field ground balls. (I have enough trouble as it is)

I used the rip-it mask last year and really liked it. i didnt think it took any of my vision away, and it feel like it was going to fall off when fielding ground balls (that was my main concern, looking down that the mask was going to fall off or shift and mess me up)

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
Which rip it mask did you guys buy? I see that there are two different ones. Defense pro mask and the other.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I wear an older model, it predates the Defense Pro with the "Blackout" technology, ie. matte paint on the inside of the bars.

Mine has gloss paint all around and I don't even notice it in my peripheral vision. I think the Blackout feature is an unnecessary gimmick that you could just add yourself if you felt like it. I have a full season on my mask and the chin cup still looks new but I'd add an extra to my order if I were you, just in case.

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
I wear an older model, it predates the Defense Pro with the "Blackout" technology, ie. matte paint on the inside of the bars.

Mine has gloss paint all around and I don't even notice it in my peripheral vision. I think the Blackout feature is an unnecessary gimmick that you could just add yourself if you felt like it. I have a full season on my mask and the chin cup still looks new but I'd add an extra to my order if I were you, just in case.

I'm not sure if it's just the way the pictures look on line, but the older mask's cage looks flatter. The new model looks like the cage sticks out more?

Wife

Looking to get one for my wife (small frame). She took a line drive to the face a couple years ago in right field and has been really gun shy since then when it comes to fielding. I don't blame her at all, so we are looking at getting one to help with confidence.
Anyone with experience when it comes to sizing? I'm guessing a youth model/size with her being just above 5' and petite.
Sorry, no pics available ;)

Honey Buns

My Twins Are My World
The one I have has the "blackout" "technology" can't say whether or not it makes a real difference.. Had a buddy hook me up on the price so I took the best model. It has worked well for me with or without sunglasses.

Strawberry

Shin Killer
I use a champro. Works great and is light. Visibility is great too!

9D8E1272-C5CF-4574-AEEE-C0AF83580E9E.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i have the full size rip-it and my wife has the youth. size is perfect for both of us. she is 5'7" and athletic. not petite. i think her hat size was like 7 1/4 and the youth is perfect for her. mine was always too large for her to wear. the reason we went with the rip-it in the first place was that we feel more secure with metal than the plastic that others are made of