Inflicting pain on your teammates...

nsb718

Masher of Ceremonies
tonight I collided with a teammate in the outfield and he ended up breaking his arm. I feel awful. What's the worst injury you've ever dished out to a teammate? Help me out here.

My brother gave me a slight concussion in a game. Note that if 3 guys are converging on a ball, the 2 guys who get called off should probably take different paths away from the ball.

nsb718

Masher of Ceremonies
Neither of us called it. I probably had the best chance of making the catch, though.

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
We had a pitching screen with a 4x4 inch hole near the bottom. Hit a seed through the hole and broke his ankle. Dude quit playing after that. Felt bad.

chedched

Coach
Used to play third, SS drilled me in the ankle with a throw and caused a hematoma which I can still feel/see 2 years later...

markcarranza80

Addicted to Softballfans
My Lil bro was playn RF and a buddy was playn RC n league a few seasons ago and a ball was hit between them. Both were running for it, neither called it and they ran into each other pretty bad. Buddy ended up tearing ACL and MCL. Lil bro jus got cut from when his glasses got shoved into his face during the collision. Glasses weren't damaged tho.

Got asked to play rec coed. Playing outfield and I called for the ball but my mother in law collided with me and she cracked two ribs. I didn't feel bad one bit.

I was playing center and normally am a ss my sophomore year in high school. The ss and myself collided going for a pop up by me diving/sliding into him and broke his shin. I was hurt pretty good but don't know how my little 150lb frame busted up his 220lbs. I guess I hit him just right. I felt pretty bad about it!

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
We was warming up hitting back and forth from the outfield to infield before the game to get warmed up... I was hitting to my lil boy he was hitting back to me... My buddy jumped in started hitting to my lil boy... Hit a few back and forth, my buddy hit one off the fence, my lil boy ran to go get it, told my buddy give me that bat before you hit my ball over, it was a evil bp ball... He handed me the bat giggling and ****, my lil boy hit the ball back at him, not knowing the brief conversation which just went down... My buddy was walking away and my lil boy hit a line drive off the side of his head from about 200 feet... My buddy said he was having dizzy spells and headaches for about a week...

That's all I got really!

todo-nada

Addicted to Softballfans
Was running into the field talking to a buddy we were both playing the OF and were cutting through the infield while the first baseman was already tossing grounders around to the third baseman when he fielded one and threw it without looking caught my buddy right on the jaw sounded like a wood bat making contact. The guy wanted to keep playing until his face started swelling and we convinced him to sit out the rest of the game. Even tried to have a beer then he realized he could hardly move his mouth and started feeling the pain, took him to the hospital to find out he had a broken jaw and needed to have it wire shut. Lost like 20 pounds eating shakes and blended food for a couple of months.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Never hurt a teammate but was playing in benefit tourney this past sat with modified ASA rules. We were hitting the no association stamp Thunder Advance 44/375 and could use either ASA or new stamp USSSA bats. I was swinging the cl22 and hit a pitcher in the face and he was carted off in an ambulance. It has bothered me really bad only because he has a family just as I do. I haven't heard how he is but one of my teammates was over there as the paramedics were checking him out and he said it was really bad. I hope he has a speedy recovery and doesn't hold it against me. I never want this to happen to me ever again, I mean it isn't like we get payed to play!

Rockmon21

Standing in the on deck circle i was talking to a buddy that was in the dugout batter popped up got mad through his bat wailed me right in the ankle bone! swelled up like a balloon still cant walk its been 4 days. not broken thank god but hurts like a mother!. guy who did it was a friend i know he didnt do it on purpose he said he wanted to throw it the other way but got stuck on his glove cause he usess bat wax. the pain tho was unreal. i knew i was in trouble

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
tonight I collided with a teammate in the outfield and he ended up breaking his arm. I feel awful. What's the worst injury you've ever dished out to a teammate? Help me out here.

In softball...I don't think I ever have. But, I played soccer in college, and I was the left fullback/defender. One team we played used a long ball offensive strategy, sucking the defense up to the midfield stripe and then shooting the ball down the field and trusting their forwards to outrun the fullbacks to the ball and attack the goal. Back in college, I was pretty fast and was only burned by one forward ever...kid from Australia who was freaky fast. Anyway, the forward and I are running stride for stride, and the next thing I know...there is my keeper. He never yelled "KEEP! KEEP!" That was his signal for defenders to peel off and let him take the ball. I stepped on his ankle and crushed it...and I mean crushed it. I wasn't heavy then (roughly 170), but I stepped on it just right.

A little over a year later, the last plate and last four screws were removed from his foot. He never played again, and he was pissed at me for ending his soccer-playing days. He admitted to not yelling "keep" but said that I should have seen him coming out of the goal...I was too focused on the ball and the forward to my right.

Scariest moment for me playing softball was as a LC in college. Played in a tourney, and the ball was roped to straight-away center. My RC yelled, "My go! No, you go! You go!" So I went, and I made what was going to be this beautiful catch...full extension, leaping in the air, nice. Then out of the corner of my eye, I see Marcus a nanosecond before he plowed over me. Turns out he didn't think I'd get there (silly, Marcus, I had wheels back in the day) so he kept running. He didn't see me until it was too late and tried to duck under. Instead of ducking under, 6'4" 240 Marcus drilled me in ribs. He flipped me all the way over, and I landed on my stomach. The last thing I remember before realizing I couldn't breathe was watching the ball roll out of my glove.

A college roommate who played for another team saw it from the parking lot and jumped the OF fence to come check on me. He said it looked nasty.

I'm 37 now and have had all kinds of injuries playing...softball to the eye (stitches from the ball left marks on my cheek bone and just below my eyebrow)...hit in my left kidney playing 1B (holy crap, blows to the kidney SUUUUCCCCKKKKK for about 5 minutes)...pulled hammy, pulled quad, pulled groin (groin this year)...all kinds of nasty strawberries on my legs...bad hop at 1B and got hit in the throat. Fortunately nothing broken or torn though.

I think it's my turn to inflict some harm on a teammate, LOL.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
Not me but a a tourney on Norcal in the valley below Sacto (where they have the big kite show/event/competition (largest kite in the world - pick ups could drive into the mouth of that thing - big as a football field - had to pull it up into the wind with vehicles) our RC & LC collided going for a gapper. LC was taller than RC and got "speared" with a head to the ribcage. Both went down and game stopped until two ambulances came and removed them. The guy with the broken ribs somehow never missed a beat and was at the next tourney the next weekend although you could see it really hurt he played through it as was his style went 100% - diving , sliding, etc - amazing. The guy that hit his head on the others ribs lost all sensation to his extremities for 2 or 3 weeks and stayed in the hospital. Never saw him in uniform after that.

Last edited:

cstiles79

Manager
Never hurt a team mate, but I was on the field for a weird one. A guy from the other team puts one over the fence. He touches first and starts walking back to the his dugout (third base side). Next batter steps into the box and game resumes. As the guy goes behind the back stop the batter fouls off a ball and lets go of the bat. Bat flew back and hit this kid perfectly in the bridge of the nose area. He dropped instantly. I don't know medically what was wrong other than a huge gash and probably a broke nose. What I do know is when pressure was removed from his face, you knew every time his heart would beat from the blood spraying from the gash on his face. Never did see him again, maybe he decided softball was too dangerous. You could tell his team mate felt bad about it. Dude looked like he was going to cry. I felt bad for both of them.

Travisteck

Addicted to Softballfans
I wasn't paying attention at a practice and got hit between the eyes, the guy hitting Was pretty bad so not much speed. Broke my sun glasses.

Smoked my dad in the shoulder a few years back when I was starting to play, pitched outside tried to pull. He had a bruise 6 inches wide

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
My second year playing, we had a team batting practice. After a few batters there's half a dozen of us standing in the same spot in the OF, bs'ing. A flyball comes right at us, but right at one guy in particular. He's calling it and calling it, nobody says otherwise.....but last second, I decide I'm going to be a hero and make a jumping catch in front of him. Harmless, right?

Well I clipped the ball with my glove just enough to alter the path of the ball and bust open the guy's lips. Uhhhhh :eek: my bad man, I'll make it up to ya. :eek::eek:

-------------

one the other way around,

When I was pitching in HS, our team was batting, there were two outs, I was waiting to go back out and get on the mound. Batter makes third out, I get out of the dugout and start heading towards the mound, just then I feel a big crunch on top of my skull. It hurt like hell, I was pretty bewildered (and pissed). The on-deck batter had been swinging the weighted bat (one of those filled with concrete jobs, weighing about 8 lbs). In his frustration not getting an AB that inning, he flung the bat up in the air. I, of course, did not see this, and got smacked on the head with the weighted end of the barrel. No damage but it sure did piss me off. Pretty sure my first pitch was my best fastball right into the batters ribs. I felt better after that. :)

Last edited:

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
Hit a teammate running bases in the throat / side neck area once for the last out of the game . So not only did he get drilled but was the goat of the game down 1 bases loaded and took the game winning hit to the neck felt bad for him while getting bitched at while lying on the ground gasping for air .

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I've hurt a few guys just throwing the ball. My fastly deteriorating legs have basically rendered me 1b/c/dh most of the time, I never get to unleash the cannon, and I can still throw about as hard as I did when I was pitching in HS/college. So I have to let it out in warmups. I have to throw gas, it's just too much fun. I've hit guys in the foot, bruised palms, sprained thumbs.....I have to make sure I'm warming up with a guy who at least has a baseball background and a good glove and understands that daddy's bringing the thunder. My favorite is when I warm up with another guy who has a hose and we both try to kill each other.

Last edited:

KD317

Addicted to Softballfans
I've hurt a few guys just throwing the ball. My fastly deteriorating legs have basically rendered me 1b/c/dh most of the time, I never get to unleash the cannon, and I can still throw about as hard as I did when I was pitching in HS/college. So I have to let it out in warmups. I have to throw gas, it's just too much fun. I've hit guys in the foot, bruised palms, sprained thumbs.....I have to make sure I'm warming up with a guy who at least has a baseball background and a good glove and understands that daddy's bringing the thunder. My favorite is when I warm up with another guy who has a hose and we both try to kill each other.

and youre bragging about this.....

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans

I bet your nickname contains a "The", right? :D

Bout350

Addicted to Softballfans
Dislocated a teammate's jaw on a collision. When I looked around at the last second to check for the fence, I noticed he was about to run into me so on sheer instict/reaction I threw my hand out to brace the collision and ended up hitting him in the jaw and knocking him down.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I bet your nickname contains a "The", right? :D

lol. I'm sure in some forms it could. But they know I like to chuck it. I'd still be pitching if it weren't that pesky ucl waiting to be repaired (which is never going to happen).

I don't throw heat to guys who can't handle it. But they should know, if I'm not getting playing time in the OF recently, my arm is going to be fresh, and I'm not one to save the bullets.

packerbacker796

Bi-Polar as they Come
i witnessed a very bad injury rc and 2nd base head to head dude had a jaw wired shut for 3 months other guy lost 4 front teeth and blew his elbow out