Info on the utrip aftermath

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
Facebook credit goes to Daurbanlegend

Information about the AM 1.20 and USSSA

Wilson/DeMarini has introduced the Flipper model softball bat for 2015 with the USSSA mark on its taper. Wilson has guaranteed USSSA that the bat cannot exceed the 1.20 BPF standard even if overused or altered and USSSA has agreed to exempt the bat from on field compression testing as it does for single or even double wall aluminum softball bats. This exemption remains conditional upon Flipper model bats never exceeding the 1.20 BPF standard. USSSA retains in its absolute discretion the right to suspend the model from USSSA play or to required a compression test if it finds a Flipper model bat that exceeds the 1 20BPF standard.

Any director that has concern from performance in the field that a Flipper bat with the USSSA mark exceeds the 1.20 BPF stand, should ask the owner of the bat if he can have it tested. If the owner allows the testing, the bat should be sent to USSSA National office for examination. If testing is not allowed by the owner, the owner will be suspended for two years under current USSSA rules. If testing is allowed and the Flipper bat is found to be altered (an altered bat may not even exceed the 1.20 BPF standard, but if it is altered it will still be an illegal bat which can result in a suspension), the suspension imposed on the owner will be for no more than two years unless otherwise announced in advance by USSSA. If testing is allowed and the Flipper bat is found to exceed the 1.20 BPF standard, the model will not be allowed in USSSA play. If testing is allowed and the Flipper bat is not altered and does not exceed the 1.20 BPF standard, the bat will be returned to the owner
and there will be no suspension and the Flipper will continue to be an approved model.

Thank you,

Kevin Naegele
USSSA Executive VP
Slow Pitch Operations

Last edited:

Joker

USSSA can't figure out how to compression test a bat that ASA has already figured out how to do?

badblood17

Addicted to Softballfans
I love the "the bat cannot exceed the 1.20 BPF standard even if overused or altered" statement. Cut it all you want no reason to test it????????

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
No it can be sent out if a director thinks it's altered. If so and it comes back altered then that person faces a pretty long penalty

Joker

tl;dr

bat does not have to be compression tested
directors can ask for the bat to be sent to USSSA to see if it meets 1.20 BPF
player refuses - player is suspended for 2 years
player agrees to the testing:
bat passes 1.20 BPF and is not altered - everything is kosher, player gets the bat back
bat is found to be altered - player suspended
bat fails 1.20 BPF - the model is no longer legal in USSSA

Bombdropper10

Addicted to Softballfans
So if i swing my am an some dumbass thinks its altered an i kno its not an i refuse to get my gamer sent off then i get suspended? Crazy

Daurbanlegend

BP Legend
USSSA doesn't have the bpf 1.20 machine to do the testing so all bats will be sent back to DeMarini for that straight from USSSA...

And dang Brad no credit for the original Facebook poster... Lol

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
USSSA doesn't have the bpf 1.20 machine to do the testing so all bats will be sent back to DeMarini for that straight from USSSA...

And dang Brad no credit for the original Facebook poster... Lol

I got it from josh. But all the credit goes to Daurbanlegend.

zow237

Addicted to Softballfans
so I have this correct my am...... doesn't need to be tested.... so I need to show this everyone that is going to test my bat? and if they think its shaved they can ask me to take it away....????

zow237

Addicted to Softballfans
so I literally can freely hit this bat without worry of anything as far as testing??? because im not going to shave my bat obviously

Dallusglockin

BP All-Star
Read the article.

It's saying USSSA exempting the bat from on-field testing for some reason. I'm assuming that is because of the "double wall" construction of the Aftermath. If someone were to call out the bat in the course of sanctioned play, the owner has 2 choices. They can (1) hand the bat to the official and the official sends it to DeMarini or USSSA (or whoever) for compression testing or (2) can refuse to have the bat tested and be suspended per the rules of bat testing already in place.

If the owner choose option 1 from above, there are 3 possible outcomes. (1) The bat is shipped off, tested and found that it is not altered or overused and is still within the 1.20 bpf specification. It is then returned to the owner. No harm no foul. (2) The bat is found to be altered and the owner is suspended for using an altered bat. If the bat is altered, it may or may not exceed the 1.20 bpf specification. That is a moot point since using an altered bat is illegal regardless if it exceeds the 1.20 bpf or not. And finally, (3) the bat is found to be unaltered, but overused and now exceeds the 1.20 bpf. If this happens USSSA will ban the bat from sanctioned play.

It seems to me like USSSA didn't take the time to acquire the bat and test it thoroughly to make sure it will never exceed the 1.20 bpf. DeMarini may or may not have gone through the expense of testing this bat after thousands of hits to ensure that it'll never exceed the 1.20 bpf. If that data is available, I don't see why USSSA didn't use it and make a judgment call as to whether or not to allow the Aftermath. The bat had to get a stamp in the first place so SOME initial testing had to have been done on it. It seems like USSSA is wanting the consumers to do the research for them to see if the bat is "safe" or not. The manufacturers pay so much for R&D, the least the Associations can do is take the time to certify their products so the consume knows they're getting a bat they can use for thousands of hits.

doublebagel

Manager
what a cluster ****..........directors will not read up on this

USSSA needs to take action on this like ASA did about non linear bats.
If the technology changes then testing must change with it.
If it can't be properly tested at the fields then it shouldn't be legal for play until then IMO

bonzer187

See Ya Ball
I wanted to add one of these but now I'm not sure. The bat can be taken away at anytime to be sent in for testing. Which I'm sure takes 2 weeks. And then if these get banned if one goes over 1.20 then you are really out a bat. Decisions decisions

Last edited:

zow237

Addicted to Softballfans
this bat is just stupid.... ill try and post a vid hitting this inside next week Thursday. mine probably has around 300 swings right now and its got that v paint cracking around the end cap going on, spiral webbing , and it also has traditional webs. ive hit nothing but hard ass balls. hit nothing but 44 375s some dudleys and some tattoos so pretty much rocks... the barrel looks fine ill get some pics up.... def scares me they can just take my bat away at any time they think its above 1.20 limit

Kbreal

Starting Player
I have one as a NR and its barely at 150 cuts with the V cracks at the endcap and a spiral web. As far as the barrel there is no webbing or cracks and still looks brand new. Like ZOW237 said the bat is stupid but with all the things surrounding it, it might detour people from buying one knowing that it could be taken away at any point during sanction play to be sent off

THESHOE

Starting Player
So bringing this one back from the dead hopefully to get more info than the thread about it in the open section....

Anyone have updates on this bat?

Seems like leagues have banned it as some guy are reporting. And lots of rumours that Utrip will ban it.

How can they stamp them then take it back?

What happens to the Demarini customer who payed for a stamped bat that has now been banned?

I have a new out of wrapper with receipt that has not hit a ball yet. Wondering if we will get to or not and if banned, what are my options?

Joker

don't you think if anything new was released from USSSA it would be posted here within hours?

TRaj2327

Joker is right here. There's no way to know how it would be handled so anything would just be speculation at this point. It's been almost 2 months now and nothing has changed. To me it looks like the bat will be fine, but that's just my opinion.

I'm normally pretty fast to find stuff out like this or hear rumblings, so far, nada. The only cases of banning have been by leagues plagued by ignorance.