Info on the utrip aftermath

lx_2nv

Coach
I have a dumb question...The AM series cannot use conventional compression testing. But why? What makes this bat different?

TRaj2327

Divergence tech which is the floating barrel/air gap technology. It's the same reason the ASA models use a different preload and have their own acceptable passing limits. Usssa hasn't adopeted non linear compression testing yet.

THESHOE

Starting Player
+1 on this.

Can someone explain to me why this bat is called "non-linear" ?

I have read it is related to a dual wall thing, but aren't other bats like blackout a dual wall? And those test fine.

I have also read posts of boys comp testing them and they passed at 265, so not too sure what the original hoopla was for either.

If someone could answer with some detail what makes the design so special and unique.

Demarini calls it their "Divergence" tech, but I can't find a definition of WTF that exactly is anywhere.

I have a dumb question...The AM series cannot use conventional compression testing. But why? What makes this bat different?

THESHOE

Starting Player
But aren't there other doublewall bats out there which can be tested?

Either way, sounds like I should be fine unless planning to swing it in a comp tested tourney. Here it is no pass, no use. Period. No exceptions are being planned for this stick, I've asked.

Divergence tech which is the floating barrel/air gap technology. It's the same reason the ASA models use a different preload and have their own acceptable passing limits. Usssa hasn't adopeted non linear compression testing yet.

TRaj2327

It's not the walls it's the design that is separated by a gap, has an internal component, or something of the like. Combat uses a ring, DeMarini the floating dual barrel, TPS uses a floating disc suspended by a rod. Those are all non-linear bats.

The aftermath tests around 250 or so NIW, but drop significantly after some swings...well below 225.

The point of divergence tech is to generate spin and thus increasing distance. It appears the tech information is down from DeMarini.com, or at least I can't get to it on my phone.

Exit speeds are still within the limit, thats why they're legal. In other words, and an idiom we've probably all heard, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

THESHOE

Starting Player
Many thanks for that.

It's not the walls it's the design that is not separated by a gap, has an internal component, or some of the like. Combat uses a ring, DeMarini the floating dual barrel, TPS uses a floating disc suspended by a rod. Those are all non-linear bats.

The aftermath tests around 250 or so NIW, but drop significantly after some swings...well below 225.

The point of divergence tech is to generate spin and thus increasing distance. It appears the tech information is down from DeMarini.com, or at least I can't get to it on my phone.

Exit speeds are still within the limit, thats why they're legal. In other words, and an idiom we've probably all heard, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Further proof that compression testing has no bearing on bat performance.

CHOOLY_#14

Addicted to Softballfans
All I have to say is PLEASE don't blast me with one of these if I throw you a cookie over the plate in a 3-1 count! lol...When your standing on the mound, ALOT of bats seem hot. We don't need even hotter ones, especially in the hands of hitters with minimal bat control:(

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
How would you shave a flipper? Wouldn't removing the end cap negate the benefits of the divergence Tech?
The inner barrel is fixed and not floating. i would assume you would shave the inner barrel. Not sure how that would affect re mounting the inner barrel. Also they break pretty easy i would think they would not last for very long shaved.

Joker

This from our General Counsel today regarding the DeMarini Flipper Aftermath:

USSSA Directors:

As there continues to be some confusion on the Demarini flipper model bat, USSSA/GSL legal counsel has provided the following additional guidance to that issued earlier this year by Kevin Naegele, Executive VP USSSA Softball:

It has become apparent that the current rule of not using the compression device on DeMarini Flipper model bats is not a comfortable approach for all USSSA and GSL directors. Therefore effective immediately, USSSA/GSL will allow the use of the at the field compression device on the DeMarini Flipper model bat with a 40 # additional preload to adjust for substantial gap between the outer wall and the rest of the interior of the barrel. So when using the Compression Device, the operator will place the Flipper bat in the device, turn the dial to the set preload and then continue to turn the dial for an additional 40 # of preload before pushing down on the Compression Device lever to see if the bat passes or not.

The DeMarini Flipper model bat remains legal and approved equipment in USSSA/GSL sanctioned tournament and league play. It may be compression tested with an additional 40# preload or allowed without compression testing in the discretion of the event director.

Please note that any failure to follow USSSA equipment rules in a USSSA/GSL event could result in the event not being a sanctioned event.

USSSA/GSL General Counsel

update .

THESHOE

Starting Player
Good news to read for sure...

Still not sure it will make a difference in Canada, but I'll be fine as I won't get mine tested this year at any point.

Sucks for the higher level guys though because this bat mashes the Hot Dots.