Injury thoughts/opinions

worthy579

Addicted to Softballfans
I have suffered from multiple ankle injuries(sprained both ankles multiple time torn ligaments in one) to the point of having to switch positions in high school to limit lateral movement. I have been told by many doctors to use Motrin to keep the swelling down. The method that I can say works best for me and has had me back too 100 every time is this. Wear a lace up ankle cast all day and get off crutches asap because if you are on crutches the whole time you're healing you're ankle will be very weak when you try to play. This is bad that's how you re-injury yourself. Make the brace as tight as possible to cut down on the amount of movement it can make and to keep it from swelling. On top of that go get yourself a nice gel cast to sleep in. The benefit to this is when we sleep we toss and turn and end up hurting the ankle through out the night without even realizing it. Plus the gel is freezeable so throw it in the freezer in the morning in at night it will be nice and cold for you. This what I have come up with after many injuries to both ankles. Also after injuring an ankle once studies show you are at more risk of spraining it than before so I would suggest doing some good balance and flexibility exercises like yoga or something. This should help and I'll post a link to the type of braces I use.

http://www.amazon.com/GelBand-Ankle-Stirrup-Viscoelastic-Universal/dp/B002SZUC6M

http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/...0225_nid=K6QXVBHVQJgs11640DJ385glTF70MWMZ2Lbl

NYYanks120

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the info above.....I can't put any pressure at all on it.....I should get brace and tie it real tight and try to walk?

Motrin better than Aleve?

worthy579

Addicted to Softballfans
I was told motrin kept swelling down better by my doctor. I would say if you can't put any pressure on it give it time but don't stay on crutches longer than you need to be. You have got to give the muscle some work to keep it strong so that when you go to walk and play on it you have some stability. That's where things like yoga can help avoid ankle injuries, it builds your sense of balance, increases muscle strength in areas that don't normally get attention, gives you flexibility amd gives you a better awareness for where your body is. Don't do yoga or anything till you are a 100% but might want to give t a shot it will help yoube a better athlete.

NYYanks120

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok thanks. Once I'm able to put pressure I'm gonna start to strengthen it.....u got any links on yoga exercises?

cheato

TRACKIN'
Ok I hope this thread doesn't get moved, cuz I know I'll get more hits here....

I got a dilemma....I came to ocean city Maryland for the labor day tournament.....not with my regular team, but basically a pick up team...

Cut to the chase....today is September 3rd....I destroyed my ankle, got carried off field, and taken to hospital because I thought I broke it....

Xrays say it's not broken but a bad sprain, it's swelled up so big...

The kicker.....I leave for worlds on orlando September 12, and our first game is September 15th....so basically 12 days from now

My questions......

It hurts so bad, I cant put any pressure on it, I have a walking boot and crutches...I gotta ice it every 20 minutes....doctor says I should be better in 10-15 days......

Will I be ok? Or does it depend on how I heal personally?

Any advice for severe sprain? Any opinions?

Will I be able to run full speed by the time I have to play?

Is Aleve the best for anti-inflammatory?

I can't get what doctor prescribed because I have no insurance so I will pay a huge bill too.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks guys

just had this happen to me at state at the end of july (got taken out turning a double play), IBUPROFEN is the best for anti-inflammatory. I would not play any ball until about 3 days before the world and take some bp just to see how it feels. Ice and elevate and take the IBUPROFEN daily. Ice for 10 minutes 3-4 times a day. My ankle is still not healed (i just accepted it) because after a week on crutches i decided to start playing again before it was fully healed. Just going to wait til ball is over to let it fully heal. For the world it basically is going to depend on your pain tolerance. See if you can get some pain meds would be my advice to you.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
I hurt my shoulder earlier this year was told I wouldn't have a chance to play again this tear was only out 4 weeks you never know .

piratepete7

Drink Stirrer
I wanna shoot somebody right now. I really do. I hope my prayers work too. This is awful

Prayer doesn't do anything, stick to Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Plan on getting an ankle brace too because you'll probably be hesitant to cut on it even when you're back playing.

sittingbull

I HATE RUNNING
thumbnail.aspx

nathan2814

Star Player
Im a football coach and have dealt with sprained ankles all the time...Honestly the only chance you have to play is to tape it so your ankle is pretty much in a cast of tape. We end up going through 2 whole rolls of tape on just one kid. Any Anti-Inflammatory will work, as everyone is different and they will affect people differently. When you tape it, first start with no sock on and get some pre-wrap, then put your sock on and tape it some more, then put ur shoe on and tape it like its your job....Also is it a high ankle sprain or low?

DOM713

Addicted to Softballfans
Severe sprains are worse than broken bones. Good luck, but it will be a long time before evrything you tore up in your ankle is back to %100.

jamelie22

Star Player
Take the brace off after a day or two. Then id fill the tub up with hot water and get you a buck off ice....heat and Iice for rotate for 10 min....get u a good brace u might be able to go for worlds...i wouldnt do anythi ng but walk good luck!

This is what I did in highschool and college when I twisted my ankles. It is the best for twists and strains.

BigWhite

<font color="#00EE00">Charging by the Pound!!!</fo
Sorry to hear this.

I've torn the peroneal tendon and most of the ligaments in my right ankle 4 times. I wish I'd stopped after the first time. An MRI is really the only thing that's going to tell you what's wrong. The surgery is horrible and the recovery is long. The best advice if you're going to play is to either tape it (horse shoe) or invest in a good ankle brace and WEAR it. Ice will be your best friend. Heat is really only going to loosen it up. Obviously, an ortho is the way to go. Best of luck.

bdubbew

Addicted to Softballfans
I did the same thing to mine, thought I was done. I did the I.C.E method and with the help of tape/brace I was playing in bout 2 weeks. was only 75% but couldn't take not playing.. good luck. Also after a few days when some of the pain goes away write the alphabet with you big toe (with leg elevated, moving ankle as far as ya can without to much pain) as often as you can.. it sounds dumb but it helps.

NYYanks120

Addicted to Softballfans
I have more movement and I stood up but put more pressure on my heel. I am told hot water with epsom salt and then ice.....also a buddy has an air Cast for me for now and a stimulation machine he's gonna give me to hook to exact point of pain? Says it works ??

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Advil every 3 hours, ice keep brace on until few days b4 you play. Tape it and play on it. A good tape job has amazing strength.

jlsjls020105

Addicted to Softballfans
I did this when I was 17, thought it was broken but severely sprained. Took 2-3 months before I was running 90% on it. Unless you have some kind of miraculous healing ability or it's not as bad as you say I seriously doubt you'll be able to play in two weeks.

Agree with above as same thing happened to me in May this year. Slid home over a batters box mat and caught my ankle in btw the mat and the plate and turned outwards. Thought I had broken it too. Took two months to get back to full weight and speed; and I was doing everything possible to get it healed faster. Didn't help that I continued playing only after 7 days off. That following week was tender and I had runners every time I got to first. If you stay off it and baby it all you can, yeah I would say you might be ok in two weeks.

Good ice and tape jobs like u234 said. Try Biofreeze, Aleve, ice cooler pump and wrap machine, and a little at a time ABC's of your ankle (make your foot write in the air your ABC's- slowly and so forth as you get better). Check this out if you have not already *http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/rice.htm

Your only enemy is yourself which will, 1. Put doubt into your mind or worse, 2. You will have no fear, forget you have an injury where you do too much and really hurt something.

Do the best you can; only you will know. Good luck.

Last edited:

DOM713

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't push it man, you're asking for ankle problems in the future. Just wait until next year, don't risk permanent tendon and ligament damage.

Michael76706

Addicted to Softballfans
Think about it like this: When you hear about one of your favorite football or baseball players spraining an ankle and they say they'll be back in 4-6 weeks. Your talking about a professional athlete with the best rehab money can buy. Now compare that to yourself. I don't know you but I doubt your as genetically blessed as the pro athletes and I doubt your rehabbing all day everyday. It's gonna take time. I sprained my foot, ankle and broke my little toe at the same time when I was 18 and it took about 3 months before I completely healed(the toe was fine in a week or so lol). I hope you can tough it out but it's going to be rough. Good luck in whatever you decide.

NYYanks120

Addicted to Softballfans
Think about it like this: When you hear about one of your favorite football or baseball players spraining an ankle and they say they'll be back in 4-6 weeks. Your talking about a professional athlete with the best rehab money can buy. Now compare that to yourself. I don't know you but I doubt your as genetically blessed as the pro athletes and I doubt your rehabbing all day everyday. It's gonna take time. I sprained my foot, ankle and broke my little toe at the same time when I was 18 and it took about 3 months before I completely healed(the toe was fine in a week or so lol). I hope you can tough it out but it's going to be rough. Good luck in whatever you decide.

i see what your saying...i still wanna hold out hope

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I did something like this to my ankle in college. I was in a wheelchair for a week then crutches for three more. I was finally able to walk a month later, then after two more months of rehab I was able to run close to 100%. I had problems with that ankle for years afterwards. Just this past year I finally felt comfortable enough to stop wearing a brace (8 years later). And yes, I did tweak it a few times this summer as I always do. My doc says I may need surgery someday to clean it up and fix some things

guzzler2209

The Veteran
See if you can find a good accupunturist in your area. I'm serious. It's more than just needles if they're good. They use heat, electro-stimulous and will get the blood flowing.

I went through treatment for a bad ankle sprain and it not only sped up the healing process, the ankle was stronger afterward.

With that said, your timelines is a bit unrealistic.