Inside out swing....need help

LSU_MJL

WHO DAT!!!
I have this terrible habit of stepping back with my back foot everytime I swing rather than stepping in with my front foot. I can't hit inside pitches and when I do it's opposite field.

Anyone have any quick tips that could break me of this habit?

jamelie22

Star Player
Move farther towards the backstop/catcher so that you HAVE to step forward to make good contact with the ball. Video of your swing would be helpful.

smallfry16

Addicted to Softballfans
Try putting a bat (or something) behind your back foot in bp. This is how my hitting coaches would fix it when I was younger.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
put 70% of your weight on your back foot and bend the back leg a bit more.
With the extra weight on the back foot it will be nearly impossible to lift it and when you bend the back leg it promotes you driving forward with that back leg.

Tall@first

Addicted to Softballfans
I had this problem last year which also put me in the worst slump I have ever been in. I just focused on keeping my foot stationary in bp and kept a mental note on keeping my back leg tall with alot of weight back there before the pitch. Took me awhile but once I was able to stop doing this the slump ended and I was back to my old self. I'm not sure how I picked it up but I was moving around alot. Someone posted about moving back in the box, I never thought about that but it sounds good. I would have tried that as well.

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
I developed a bad inside out swing habit from bad bp pitching. We had no screen and nobody would pitch from the mound. Would swing at anything and my form went bad. Luckily found annother group that had a screen, took awhile to fix, just had to reqlly focus On getting the barrel throughand hitting the ball out front

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
put 70% of your weight on your back foot ... With the extra weight on the back foot it will be nearly impossible to lift it and when you bend the back leg it promotes you driving forward with that back leg.
With weight on back leg, don't bend it too much, step toward where you want the ball to go ... and only hit good pitches, even in BP.

Last edited:

The Mad Hatter

Addicted to Softballfans
Put a cone behind your back foot. You don't want use a bat necessarily, since you may step on it and possibly injure yourself. Also take BP without making any stride. keep your feet just beyond shoulder width. Don't worry about distance or power - just work on making consistent contact.

backspin

Softball Fanatic
make sure you end with only your right toe touching the ground on follow thru. that should force you to step forward and get a good weight transfer.