Interesting end to a game.

Space_cadet

Star Player
Something I saw this weekend that made me go, "wtf did i just see".

This is ASA unlimited arc league.

Team A loses a player to injury, two other teammates take him to the hospital. Ump was going to call game because of the time limit. Team A wants to play with 8. Ump allows it.

This is where it gets weird.

Some how it was talked about or agree'd that the ump will be allowed to catch for Team A so they would be able to play 3 in the OF, 4 IF and pitcher.

when play resumed, Team A and Team B were tied. With Team A up to bat. Team A scored 3 runs.

Team B was up in the bottom. First 2 get out. Third batter is up. The first two pitches were very deep, player didn't even have a chance to swing. Third pitch was just as deep. The guy gets ready to take a walk when the Ump calls "strike". Batter is stunned. Next pitch he strikes out. Game is called.

Wtf happened here?! I understand having sympathy for another player leaving the game and allowing the Ump to catch. But for the ump to call strike on a deep pitch? That doesn't seem right in my eyes. Team A and Team B were tied for first place with one more week left. For those who care, that's a big courtesy call that potentially screwed over a team. Who know, maybe the next guy would have popped up.

Have any umps in here done the same as this one?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Something I saw this weekend that made me go, "wtf did i just see".

This is ASA unlimited arc league.

Team A loses a player to injury, two other teammates take him to the hospital. Ump was going to call game because of the time limit. Team A wants to play with 8. Ump allows it.

This is where it gets weird.

Some how it was talked about or agree'd that the ump will be allowed to catch for Team A so they would be able to play 3 in the OF, 4 IF and pitcher.

when play resumed, Team A and Team B were tied. With Team A up to bat. Team A scored 3 runs.

Team B was up in the bottom. First 2 get out. Third batter is up. The first two pitches were very deep, player didn't even have a chance to swing. Third pitch was just as deep. The guy gets ready to take a walk when the Ump calls "strike". Batter is stunned. Next pitch he strikes out. Game is called.

Wtf happened here?! I understand having sympathy for another player leaving the game and allowing the Ump to catch. But for the ump to call strike on a deep pitch? That doesn't seem right in my eyes. Team A and Team B were tied for first place with one more week left. For those who care, that's a big courtesy call that potentially screwed over a team. Who know, maybe the next guy would have popped up.

Have any umps in here done the same as this one?

So you are complaining that an umpire called a deep ball a strike on strike TWO? Then that cost them the game because the batter then struck out (in slowpitch softball). At this point they were down three runs with two outs and no one on base. Asking for a friend.

Not sure why the umpire just didn't make them forfeit the game, but somehow because he caught for one team to allow them to continue playing he called a decisive strike two that cost the other team the game. (Ignore the fact they had no runners and the first two batters were out already). Seems logical to me

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
If been in similar situations where the other team has 8. My question is why the ump? Why didn't the other team supply catcher?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
1. The umpire, if that is what he is, is also an idiot. He doesn't have the authority to do what he did.

2. Well, actually there is no "2", because the game is over. Anything occurred the moment the team dropped below the minimum number of required players did not officially occur.

Space_cadet

Star Player
So you are complaining that an umpire called a deep ball a strike on strike TWO? Then that cost them the game because the batter then struck out (in slowpitch softball). At this point they were down three runs with two outs and no one on base. Asking for a friend.

Not sure why the umpire just didn't make them forfeit the game, but somehow because he caught for one team to allow them to continue playing he called a decisive strike two that cost the other team the game. (Ignore the fact they had no runners and the first two batters were out already). Seems logical to me

Unlimited arc. Pitcher tried a third sky ball. Landed at least 2 feet behind the mat for ball “4”. Batter got ready to walk. Ump called strike.

The other team did offer to give up a player to catch, ump said no it’s ok.

Like I said it was a very interesting end to a game. I guess I am complaining. Oh well.