Any Interference judgement?

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
The situation, Runner on first, none out. Batter hits a grounder to second, which the second baseman charges, fields and tags out the runner. After the tag, the runner backs up, staying in the fielder's potential throwing lane within the baseline, thereby breaking up the potential double play.

Is there a potential for interference because the runner deliberately stayed in the fielder's way?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The situation, Runner on first, none out. Batter hits a grounder to second, which the second baseman charges, fields and tags out the runner. After the tag, the runner backs up, staying in the fielder's potential throwing lane within the baseline, thereby breaking up the potential double play.

Is there a potential for interference because the runner deliberately stayed in the fielder's way?

This could definitely be considered an act of interference. It's a HTBT (Had To Be There) play, but yes, interference could be called.

trip

stfu
judgment call. backing up, in some cases, can be trying to gtfo of the way. hit him in the mouth with the ball and it'd be interference

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Judgement call here, but I say if you're the 2b, attempt to make the play anyway.....if it hits R1, it'll only help your cause.....

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
judgment call. backing up, in some cases, can be trying to gtfo of the way. hit him in the mouth with the ball and it'd be interference

you MIGHT get your interference call this way
but you might be more likely to be ejected

trip

stfu
seriously?

if you're trying to make a throw and it hits the runner, there's your interference. umpires don't call it 95% of the time because there's only one and they're sitting back behind home plate. fighter pilots don't have the depth perception to tell if he's one foot to the left or right of whoever is trying to complete the double play

lb16

the natural
Info

When turning a double play the act of hitting the runner going to second when throwing to first is not interference. Only should be called if runner delibirately comes in contact with ball. The runner has every right to the baseline even if forced out. Its in the rule book look it up!!

trip

stfu
if he's already out that base path isn't his. if he doesn't get down or out of the way and impedes the throw in any way, it should be interference

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
if he's already out that base path isn't his. if he doesn't get down or out of the way and impedes the throw in any way, it should be interference
That may be a local rule where you are but its not in the rule book.

sjury

The Old Man

Wrong

Judgement call here, but I say if you're the 2b, attempt to make the play anyway.....if it hits R1, it'll only help your cause.....

Make the attempt, but probably not

When turning a double play the act of hitting the runner going to second when throwing to first is not interference. Only should be called if runner delibirately comes in contact with ball. The runner has every right to the baseline even if forced out. Its in the rule book look it up!!

Yes, runners cannot go poof and disappear.

Runners cannot go poof and disappear. How often to you tag a runner straight on in the middle of the baseline? Should be never. This is definitely one of those you had to be there moments, kind of like every judgement call.

By your statement, sliding into the bag and making the shortstop have to side step or jump and throw the ball should be interference.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

This is incorrect, the requirement that a runner slide or get out of the way or be called for interference is a old wives tale passed down from bad umpires who don't know the rules. Now me personally I do slide or get out of the way but thats because breaking up a double play isnt worth taking a throw between the eyes.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
Alright guys, kind of the same rule question involving this. What happens on a quick double play to SS where SS gets the ball and turns the double play? When the runner is like 30ft away and doesn't attempt to move out of the double play area. (basically just stands there or slows down his run with out veering one way or the other) Does the ruling still apply? or is this a runner interference?

sjury

The Old Man
It's a judgement call by the umpire, if the action of the runner interfered with the SS making the play.

30 feet is long way, any decent SS should be able to get it done, even with a runner there.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a judgement call by the umpire, if the action of the runner interfered with the SS making the play.

30 feet is long way, any decent SS should be able to get it done, even with a runner there.

I agree, just a on going debate about what the runner is supposed to do. the throwing area to 1st base shrinks the closer the runner is to it, so just a curious question. the guy I debate this with states that he doesn't have that much room when the runner is far off of 1st, which I can see, but I would think with that much time he could through to the inside of the runner and still hit the 1st basemen(with the 1st basemen setting up inside of the base path)