Any Interference?

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter hits a pop-up down the fence line. First baseman comes over to the fence, just beyond the dugout. As the fielder reaches over the fence to attempt to catch the ball, a member of the offensive team reaches up (without crossing over the fence) and swats the ball away. Is this interference? Does the position of the offensive player (inside or outside the dugout) make a difference in the call?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter hits a pop-up down the fence line. First baseman comes over to the fence, just beyond the dugout. As the fielder reaches over the fence to attempt to catch the ball, a member of the offensive team reaches up (without crossing over the fence) and swats the ball away. Is this interference? Does the position of the offensive player (inside or outside the dugout) make a difference in the call?

Speaking ASA

No. However, if the offense had already been warned about players being outside the dugout or assigned team area, that player shall be ejected (5.12.A & Effect)

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
Follow-up: Is the ball dead when the member of the offensive team touches it? Perhaps he only grazes it and the defender is still able to make the catch before the ball hits anything else. Would the batter be out?

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Interesting question. I would think that if the person swatting the ball away was a spectator - then no foul. However, the player on the offensive team has a vested interest in whether the ball gets caught or not. Its apparent that the ball is over "out of play" area. That said, I dont think a player with a vested interest should be able to interfere with the defenses ability to make a catch.

From a spirit of the rules perspective - I could see someone calling it. I dont know the absolute wording so I cant say if by the letter of the rule it would be.

Joker

Follow-up: Is the ball dead when the member of the offensive team touches it? Perhaps he only grazes it and the defender is still able to make the catch before the ball hits anything else. Would the batter be out?

as soon as the ball touches anything that's not the inside of a fielders glove for a catch in dead ball territory, its a dead ball

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Speaking ASA

No. However, if the offense had already been warned about players being outside the dugout or assigned team area, that player shall be ejected (5.12.A & Effect)

Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying, but I disagree here. I would have an out on the batter under 7-6-K.

7-6: The batter is out:
K. When members of the team at bat, including those in the team area, other than runners interfere with a player attempting to field a fair or foul fly ball

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Unless we assume that 7-6-K applies only to batted balls that are over live ball territory.

Which I don't think is the case. If players can legally catch the ball over dead ball territory (without touching dead ball territory), then there's no reason you can't call interference on this play.

ureout

The Veteran
Which I don't think is the case. If players can legally catch the ball over dead ball territory (without touching dead ball territory), then there's no reason you can't call interference on this play.

I agree....it should be treated just like a normal foul ball ... technically the ball is not in dead ball territory until it hits the ground

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless we assume that 7-6-K applies only to batted balls that are over live ball territory.

That is where my mind was and not sure we are not correct. I envision this rule pertaining to players and coaches in or reaching into the field of play. I know that we have all been taught that the fielder owns everything inside the fence, but not what is beyond that fence

I cannot disagree with you.

Or that.

It's not a dead ball until it contacts something/someone in dead ball territory.

Not true. A batted ball is dead the moment it touches anything other than a defender in foul territory

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
If the ball is caught (even over dead ball territory) are runners permitted to tag up and advance? Yes. Therefore, if an offensive team member interferes with the defensive players opportunity to make an out (even over dead ball territory) this would be interference.

sjury

The Old Man
I would call interference. By definition, it's interference...how else besides, "batter, batter, batter, swing batter" can a spectator interfere?

INTERFERENCE: The act of an offensive player or team member, umpire or spectator that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I would call interference. By definition, it's interference...how else besides, "batter, batter, batter, swing batter" can a spectator interfere?

INTERFERENCE: The act of an offensive player or team member, umpire or spectator that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary.

In this scenario, the spectator cannot interfere on their side of the fence/wall.