Iowa Court allows lawsuit over softball injury

Softball.com:

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Interesting...does this open doors to "shaved bats"...it appears so at least in Iowa

By MELANIE S. WELTE
Associated Press Writer
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - An Iowa law limiting lawsuits in contact sports doesn't prevent a softball player from suing a batter for injuries suffered when a bat hit him in the head, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The issue, the court said, is whether the batter's action were intentional or reckless, and a jury must decide that.

In its opinion, the court referred to an article that said only two states, Vermont and Wyoming, completely bar lawsuits involving sports injuries.

Benjamin Feld was struck while playing first base during an informal batting practice for an intramural softball team in 2005. The batter, Luke Borkowski, hit a ball toward third base, and the bat went flying about 60 feet and hit Feld, injuring his right eye.

Both teens were about to enter their senior years at Keumper Catholic High School in Carroll. The game was not a school-sanctioned activity.

Feld and his parents sued Borkowski, seeking medical expenses and other damages.

They argued softball was not a contact sport and Borkowski didn't qualify for protection under the state law. They also claimed Borkowski's actions in releasing the bat constituted reckless conduct.

The Felds presented testimony from Ed Servais, the head baseball coach at Creighton University in Nebraska.

"He testified he had never seen a right-handed batter hit a ball left of third base and lose control of a bat by releasing it in the direction of first base," according to court records.

Servais testified that the only way a right-handed batter could hit a first baseman with a bat in such a manner was if the batter "followed through and rotated around after striking the foul ball and deliberately threw the bat or let go of the bat in such a way that it was flung with considerable force through the air towards the first base position," court records show.

Court records show Servais tried to unsuccessfully to duplicate the incident "which led him to the conclusion that Borkowski must have deliberately released the bat in a very abnormal, contorted act of recklessness."

Borkowski maintained the bat "slipped from his sweaty hands on a hot June day," and he didn't intentionally throw the bat toward first base.

Other players also said it was a "freak accident," according to court records.

Following a hearing, a district court found softball was a contact sport and liability could only be based on reckless or intentional conduct. The court concluded Borkowski's actions were not outside the "normal course of playing softball."

The Iowa Court of Appeals supported the district court's decision, and the Felds' appealed to the state Supreme Court. It said Servais' testimony raised "a reasonable inference of recklessness" and was enough to justify sending the case to trial.

Feld's attorney, Gregory Siemann, said he was pleased with the ruling.

"We're happy the Feld boy will get his day in court," he said. "Even if you call softball a contact sport, this conduct was not part of what people would normally believe the sport of softball would consist of."

Borkowski's attorney, Joel Greer, declined to comment, saying the case is still pending and will go to trial.

corsmr50

sounds to me like it would have to be some sort of "freak accident" if the ball was hit to 3rd but the bat made its way to first base in the air nonetheless. I would think the boy must have thrown the bat when he spun all the way around after hitting the ball which is not a "freak accident" to me, it sounds intentional to throw the bat. Not saying he wanted the outcome to be what it was in regards to an injury to the kid, but it sure doesn't sound like the batter was all the innocent and blaming it on sweaty hands seems to be the only somewhat valid defense the kid could of had

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Great. Can I sue the batter who whacked me in the head this year? Or how about the one who let go of his bat on the backswing and nailed me in the quad? Or the one who chucked the bat backwards and nailed me across the shins? :eek:

crdawg2521

I'm interested in knowing what the hell was he doing at 1st base not paying attention during BP?

Or was the kid so slow he couldn't get out of the way of a moving bat flying towards him?

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU
I may be missing something here... what does throwing the bat have to do with balls hit by juiced bats?

Smokies26

Manager
I may be missing something here... what does throwing the bat have to do with balls hit by juiced bats?

I think what the OP is think is that the courts may be lookin at softball as a contact sport and the player assumes the risks??? IDK. Hitting someone with a ball off a shaved bat is different tho. Idk. Just seems like a freak thing, and think about some of the dorks that play nothing is impossible, and it sounds like the kid who got hit was not paying attention. I mean how many trys would it take you to hit someone playing first with a flying bat even if you were trying. And how the hell do you not get out of the way from at least 60'. All seems weird to me.

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting...does this open doors to "shaved bats"...it appears so at least in Iowa

The issue, the court said, is whether the batter's action were intentional or reckless, and a jury must decide that.

They argued softball was not a contact sport and Borkowski didn't qualify for protection under the state law. They also claimed Borkowski's actions in releasing the bat constituted reckless conduct.

Judging from the article, this definitely opens the door to suits in Iowa for injuries resulting from balls hit with shaved bats. The standard is "intentional or reckless." While very few people intentionally try to hurt people (except the d-bags that get into middle wars), using a shaved bat can easily be seen as reckless, imo.

Could get interesting in Iowa.

jaj23

Eye Baller
There are three types of sports...non-contact...contact...and collision.

Tennis, ping-pong, and swimming are examples of non-contact sports. It would be difficult to collide with a teammate or competitor.

Basketball, baseball, and softball are examples of contact sport. Contact is not intended, but it does occur.

Football, hockey, and rugby are examples of collision sports. Collisions are unavoidable.

I would agree with the baseball coach that I have never seen a right-handed hitter pull the ball to third base and throw the bat toward first. I was assuming the batter was a lefty until I read the rest of the article. Why is there a lawsuit? Was someone injured?

The Phenom

The Rookie
Great. Can I sue the batter who whacked me in the head this year? Or how about the one who let go of his bat on the backswing and nailed me in the quad? Or the one who chucked the bat backwards and nailed me across the shins? :eek:

As a attorney at law!:D! i feel like you may have a few cases here!:eek:! submit lawsuits asap!

crdawg2521

It's reckless conduct using an illegal bat in a sanctioned league/tournament game in my opinion. The majority of guys who get bats shaved are well aware of what injuries these bats can do to somebody.

I think it would be pretty easy to prove "reckless conduct" in a case should somebody get blown up by an illegal bat.

Not really a problem here in Iowa, but it opens the doors for other states in which this is an issue, to pursue legal action.

chile

Bad Ape

No. You're fair game as an umpire.

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
Just another example of people abusing the system for their own gain.

I think your definition of "abusing the system" is a little bit skewed. If someone throws a bat at you and causes serious damage, they should have to pay.

Similarly, if someone turns a softball bat into a rocket launcher by shaving it, and causes serious injury, they too (imo) should have to pay.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
This is how i would handle it. the batter must pay fines because hes a ratard, but that money should go to a charity rather than the other guy cuz he is also a ratard. Then they both should be barred from the game for life

jaj23

Eye Baller
This is how i would handle it. the batter must pay fines because hes a ratard, but that money should go to a charity rather than the other guy cuz he is also a ratard. Then they both should be barred from the game for life

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ lol :D