Irrational glove preferences........

MaverickAH

or things that turn you off.

These are things that don't affect how the gloves plays & have no basis in the quality of the glove. Visual cues that either get your heart racing or are a total turnoff with no other rational reason other than it just does.

Mine are:
  1. I much prefer a monotone glove. Other than logos & patches I've never used a glove with multiple colors. Sure, I have some in my collection but I've never used one. At most, I can deal with different color lacing or welting, but that's about it!
  2. I hate red! I don't want it in my uniforms as a main color. I prefer not to have it anywhere. It only dawned on me recently that it's probably the unconscious reason that I never used a Rawlings in all of my years. That red label! Yuck!
  3. I've always secretly liked Easton gloves & products. That I've never used one of their gloves is solely due to their graphics department. I want to poke all of them in the eye! Their use of graphics & color combos is a huge turnoff. Their current use of the "flying E" is tolerable but still distasteful to me except on most of their apparel where it is small enough to ignore.
  4. I prefer not to have a whole lot of extra writing. I just don't like seeing it.

What are yours?

Joker

this logo

images

bigjbowski16

Addicted to Softballfans
-Also really dislike red, I was sooo disappointed when shortly after I ordered my custom they introduced the different colored patch choices.
-Glovelocks, if you want your thumb and pinky loops to be tight then tie them. Glovelocks serve the same purpose.
- Incorrectly or untied knots. I always re-tie all my teammates gloves when I see they are undone, unless they purposely leave them untied...see above

beeblebobble

Starting Player
No white on a glove - nothing, not the welts, not a patch or a logo - kills retail wilsons for me. #1 pet peeve with gloves.

Don't like sparkle on a glove - no gunmetal, no gold labels, or welts or binding. I'm tolerant of the gold/silver indents on rawlings, it wears off so quick it never really becomes an issue.

People who write anything on their glove, just looks ridiculously tacky to me, don't care what its there for or what your favorite bible verse is.

Long laces, trim that sh*t, and get a hair cut too! Keep your MR T starter kit under your shirt as well.

jethrodub

Coach
When people curve the thumb and pinkie of their gloves like this... ( ). It drives me nuts.

Writing on a glove is a big no go for me as well. Writing on the tag of your 4 year olds glove for t-ball is one thing, but sharpie on the outside of a glove is awful.

Gators21

Manager
Finger hoods.... Absolutely ridiculous and ugly looking, and I'm sorry but I really don't see the functional benefits to them, at least none that would outweigh how bad they look.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Great thread!

I would never use a pay money for a black glove. I pretty much hate web swaps unless it matches the glove perfectly. I agree with beeble on the embroidery thing. In general I am just super picky about the little details on a glove. Even with a steep discount I will pass on a lot of gloves if there's one aspect of a glove I don't care for. Stitching other than yellow/gold on a tan glove. Lace any color other than regular tan.

Party mafia

-Also really dislike red, I was sooo disappointed when shortly after I ordered my custom they introduced the different colored patch choices.
-Glovelocks, if you want your thumb and pinky loops to be tight then tie them. Glovelocks serve the same purpose.
- Incorrectly or untied knots. I always re-tie all my teammates gloves when I see they are undone, unless they purposely leave them untied...see above
how do you tie the knots correctly? The knot by my thumb always comes undone. Could you post some pictures of tying the knots correctly so it stay in place. Thanks

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a square knot. Look it up. Dirty30 has a good one on YouTube, I think.

For me, finger pads, especially Vinci. That thing is flippin horrendous. Incorrect knots of course. And I like my webs/fingers/etc to be symmetrical, especially trap webs.

Party mafia

It's a square knot. Look it up. Dirty30 has a good one on YouTube, I think.

For me, finger pads, especially Vinci. That thing is flippin horrendous. Incorrect knots of course. And I like my webs/fingers/etc to be symmetrical, especially trap webs.
Thanks you, didn't know the name of the knot. So i will bing square knots.

NYC

Swag on 100.
When people curve the thumb and pinkie of their gloves like this... ( ). It drives me nuts.

Writing on a glove is a big no go for me as well. Writing on the tag of your 4 year olds glove for t-ball is one thing, but sharpie on the outside of a glove is awful.

Funny, I hate when people flare their gloves like this ) (
I think if you want to get your glove wide you can do it at the center of the glove, a bowl shape keeps the ball from hitting off the tips and getting away. A flare feels like it won't trap a ball hit off the tips. Just my opinion.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
image.jpg image.jpg
Finger hoods.... Absolutely ridiculous and ugly looking, and I'm sorry but I really don't see the functional benefits to them, at least none that would outweigh how bad they look.
Completely agree, just seriously ugly! I guess I'm okay with finger pads although not my preference, been thinking about either a Pro208 Arenado or a custom NP6? The retail NP6 comes with a pad, my custom will not!

Now on to the hoods.....ironically enough my favorite glove that's on my hand 5+ days a week is my All-Star CMW3000 fastpitch mitt, great mitt! It has a hood which has been mashed down flat as a pad since day one, and it really helps, nice thick piece of leather which definitely helps with sting. My NP6 finger pad is also mashed down to to point I don't notice it anymore.

Party mafia

View attachment 40468 View attachment 40467
Completely agree, just seriously ugly! I guess I'm okay with finger pads although not my preference, been thinking about either a Pro208 Arenado or a custom NP6? The retail NP6 comes with a pad, my custom will not!

Now on to the hoods.....ironically enough my favorite glove that's on my hand 5+ days a week is my All-Star CMW3000 fastpitch mitt, great mitt! It has a hood which has been mashed down flat as a pad since day one, and it really helps, nice thick piece of leather which definitely helps with sting. My NP6 finger pad is also mashed down to to point I don't notice it anymore.
is the rawlings your Kyle Sager glove?

mpk

Extra Hitter
I don't like rolled welting at all. Split only thank you.

Stamped labels on palm/thumb/pinkie/index > embroidery or foil all day every day.

Classic colored gloves are the best. love em.

Never understood the finger hood.

Not a deal breaker but I don't like it when there's no welting on the index finger because of embroidery (i.e. all recent Rawlings minus the Don Morton gloves). Just looks like they forgot it.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
inconsistent glove sizing ( by a decent amount)...I can buy 3 gloves all the exact same model all from either same company or different companies and they all are different sizes and all finger stalls slightly different....
and it's not affected by price

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
inconsistent glove sizing ( by a decent amount)...I can buy 3 gloves all the exact same model all from either same company or different companies and they all are different sizes and all finger stalls slightly different....
and it's not affected by price

Some of the stalls difference could be design patents that require them to be different. Totally agree about sizing, 13" is definitely not the same across the board

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Never understood the finger hood.
Pitchers (that like to wear their glove with a finger out) can tip their pitch by the way the index finger grips the glove. So rather than keep their finger in, they opt for the hood to hide it.

Reactions: mpk

mpk

Extra Hitter
Pitchers (that like to wear their glove with a finger out) can tip their pitch by the way the index finger grips the glove. So rather than keep their finger in, they opt for the hood to hide it.

Ah, that's actually pretty cool then. I never pitched competitively, so I never considered the need for it.

Keeping with the irrational thread though - it still looks awful.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Ah, that's actually pretty cool then. I never pitched competitively, so I never considered the need for it.

Keeping with the irrational thread though - it still looks awful.
I hate fingerhoods too. It's like wearing a condom. Go raw or go home.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran

And to add to Bunt's explanation, catcher's mitts like the All-Star brand that use a finger hood is to (or try to) protect the catcher's finger from being hit by a bat. Of course this old man here never has a hitter standing in front of me, so I use mine as a finger pad. For some reason the hood on All-Star mitts don't look as terrible as hoods on fielders gloves. They're horrible looking!

Joker

At least you realize that you're being irrational.......

Thank for admitting it!

Once again, another thread in which Joker has multiple posts yet adds absolutely nothing to the actual subject at hand........
i didn't? you're going senile. you still had to quote me and then go back and edit it to say something about me though