Irrational glove preferences........

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
My list is pretty long too, but most have been covered above. I can add that I don't like the embroidered logo in place of a good old patch (but I am oddly ok with the Wilson embroidery that looks like a patch).

Oh, and Velcro. And tan gloves with black trim and laces. And crappy lining. And bad fake shearling (I love the real wool).

easton-core-series-ecg1175-adult-11-75-inch-infield-baseball-glove-1.gif

Party mafia

As an added trick, start the square knot with the rough side of the leather up, and then down for the second part. THEN put a little water on the finished knot so that the leather fibers will relink in the knot shape when they dry.
Thanks for the helpful tip.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
My buddy got a brand-new Rawlings HOH Bryce Harper last year, the navy/red one. He loves it, but only wears it in men's league because the colours match our uniforms. Our coed shirts clash so he wears a different glove on Friday nights.

I hate brightly-coloured gloves, multi-coloured gloves, long laces, untied laces, granny knots, excessively curved fingers/thumb, palm bubbles, leather/laces that don't match the embroidered logo/patch, white/blonde/camel anything, mesh/synthetic anything, heel lace spiralled the wrong way (some Asian gloves), different coloured laces on different sections of a glove, and embroidered flags and symbols.

DatDuke

People who dont take care of their gloves, stuff their gloves into the bag without placing a ball in the pocket, and come to me at the end of the season asking why their gloves are pan caked, ask me if I can fix it.

And WINGTIP.. I dont really get that,
reverse welting is getting close to annoyance, but its not that bad.

MaverickAH

Ah, that's actually pretty cool then. I never pitched competitively, so I never considered the need for it.

Keeping with the irrational thread though - it still looks awful.

Your avatar reminded me that Mizuno had the most eloquent design for the finger hood. They actually created a slot in between the layers of leather on the back of the index finger. In all other respects it looked like a normal open back glove. No protruding hood. The slot was there if you chose to use it. It was something that was on the Classic Pro X & Classic Pro XX Series pitcher's gloves. I don't think that they have it on any of their current models. Why, I don't know. I remember thinking that it was very innovative at the time.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
People who dont take care of their gloves, stuff their gloves into the bag without placing a ball in the pocket, and come to me at the end of the season asking why their gloves are pan caked, ask me if I can fix it.

Definitely not irrational concerns. I see it all the time and it drives me nuts. It gets worse when you see one of those guys drop a ball and then stare at their glove like they can't understand how it happened.

And WINGTIP.. I dont really get that

From whatproswear.com:

"Josh Donaldson, the biggest snub of the 2013 All Star Game, not only rakes but can pick it as well as anybody at his position. His choice of leather is a unique one, the first “Wing Tip” Rawlings we’ve seen, which Rawlings calls “a one piece leather construction across the back that adds strength to the fingers.”

I've heard other people claim that the wingtip adds structure to the back of the glove and helps it hold its shape longer, but I dunno, I never owned one. I don't mind the look as long as the whole back of the glove is one colour; otherwise it looks like a Burger King crown.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
No matter the glove or appearance, a grown man taking it to an MLB game is NGTG

I stopped bringing my glove to the ballpark a long time ago, but we had great seats between home and third base one night and a screaming, slicing foul ball came at us. Fans sort of parted as it came through... so hard to track it. I had no chance at it and it hit my wife (not at all badly -- woman in the next seat grabbed it). Had I had a glove, I think I could have caught it. They now have a screen up in front of those seats, so I doubt I'll ever bring a glove again.

DatDuke

I bring my OF mitt to the game all the time, some time I want to get it sign, but the main reason is to grab those rolling foul balls rolling toward or along the 1st and 3rd base line. I do not get why people bring their Catcher Mitt to the game, but I guess you have to bring only what you have.

MaverickAH

No matter the glove or appearance, a grown man taking it to an MLB game is NGTG

I kinda feel sorry for you for feeling this way........ There's absolutely nothing wrong with forgetting you're an adult & your problems for a few hours at the ballpark! In fact, that's why most of us still play!

It's especially cool if you have field seats & get there early where you can talk gloves with the pro's! :D

Committed

Preach brother! I always bring my glove to the park. Any excuse to smell that sweet leather is OK with me.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Giants outfielders always throw into the crowd after warmups between innings. They often look for people with a glove to throw at.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
I stopped bringing my glove to the ballpark a long time ago, but we had great seats between home and third base one night and a screaming, slicing foul ball came at us. Fans sort of parted as it came through... so hard to track it. I had no chance at it and it hit my wife (not at all badly -- woman in the next seat grabbed it). Had I had a glove, I think I could have caught it. They now have a screen up in front of those seats, so I doubt I'll ever bring a glove again.

We talked about this on the crew yesterday in reference to the little girl getting hit. I mentioned in Japan the netting goes all the way to the foul poles. A couple of co-workers said there were 2 rows of seats not netted, but had helmets and gloves for the fans to wear.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter

And WINGTIP.. I dont really get that,
reverse welting is getting close to annoyance, but its not that bad.
i llooovveeee me some WT!!:) its kinda something that you either think looks cool, or dosent. I dont love all the new WT stuff but a WT on a classic usa tan or black only a basket web can screw that up for me:)

Another note, can anyone else think of a trend that is now virtually non existent?
For example, late 80s-90s every brand offered a fastback IF glove. They were pretty popular just looking at the % of players using them on old cards.
Now days, i dont think ANYONE makes a fastback IF piece.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I bring my OF mitt to the game all the time, some time I want to get it sign, but the main reason is to grab those rolling foul balls rolling toward or along the 1st and 3rd base line. I do not get why people bring their Catcher Mitt to the game, but I guess you have to bring only what you have.
i 've seen 1b mitts, but i dont think ive ever encountered a C mitt at the park. interesting

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
or things that turn you off.

These are things that don't affect how the gloves plays & have no basis in the quality of the glove. Visual cues that either get your heart racing or are a total turnoff with no other rational reason other than it just does.

Mine are:
  1. I much prefer a monotone glove. Other than logos & patches I've never used a glove with multiple colors. Sure, I have some in my collection but I've never used one. At most, I can deal with different color lacing or welting, but that's about it!
  2. I hate red! I don't want it in my uniforms as a main color. I prefer not to have it anywhere. It only dawned on me recently that it's probably the unconscious reason that I never used a Rawlings in all of my years. That red label! Yuck!
  3. I've always secretly liked Easton gloves & products. That I've never used one of their gloves is solely due to their graphics department. I want to poke all of them in the eye! Their use of graphics & color combos is a huge turnoff. Their current use of the "flying E" is tolerable but still distasteful to me except on most of their apparel where it is small enough to ignore.
  4. I prefer not to have a whole lot of extra writing. I just don't like seeing it.

What are yours?

Mav, I love red, red and black my fav or black and red, LOL. I can get you an Easton glove with out there Logo, call me!

this logo

images

Is it the logo or all the crap that came down with to many player reps and fan boys. I always hoped it wasnt me but I can tell some people do get upset with me and my actions, for Vinci pr otherwise

Dugout5

Starting Player
I kinda feel sorry for you for feeling this way........ There's absolutely nothing wrong with forgetting you're an adult & your problems for a few hours at the ballpark! In fact, that's why most of us still play!

It's especially cool if you have field seats & get there early where you can talk gloves with the pro's! :D

Agreed

Phantomblack

Addicted to Softballfans
Finger pads
Palm pads
White leather or lacing
Glove with more than two color combinations
Foamy finger stalls
Players name stamped on the glove (gameday model of...). Initials are fine.