Is Easton Back....?

4xtra

Player/Coach
yes the 2016 kirby. Wow 2,500+ swings. That will take me like 5 years to breaking in the Kirby if i decided to get the two kirby for $100 from the SBF's store. lol

To be honest, you could use a rubber mallet on them to speed that up.
I let guys I know use it who BP and play 5X a week to help as well.
I got a SCN19 with 8000+ swings and I got it a couple of months ago because I let them swing it.
2500+ is not hard at all.
I have numerous Easton bats with over 2000+ swings each.
Once you get there, you now got a hot and durable bat that is GTG that can pass compression as well.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton took a step in the right direction this year. Still behind Miken/Worth and Demarini though. But they are closing the gap finally. I will still buy Easton's at the end of the year to beat the hell out of over the winter.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton took a step in the right direction this year. Still behind Miken/Worth and Demarini though. But they are closing the gap finally. I will still buy Easton's at the end of the year to beat the hell out of over the winter.

If you buy one of the newer ones (flex tech) at the end of the year to beat up during the winter...you will have one less bat at the end of winter.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
If you buy one of the newer ones (flex tech) at the end of the year to beat up during the winter...you will have one less bat at the end of winter.
My current Helmer flex got beat up with derby balls and ZN's for a good 400 swings before it got remotely better. If I break one over the winter then I will get a new one!

bndawgs

President-Elect
i'm tempted to get a 17 either baker or wegman if they get hot that quickly and fail compression. my league doesn't test compression.
but not sure which one is better.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Utrip or ASA?

I haven't swung their ASA stuff yet. Speaking solely about UTrip.

Easton is on par with the others as far as hot after 100 swings. But like the others they are having issues with compression testing. They are also not what I loved about Easton. Lighter endload now, you get some kickback/flex in the handle now, failing compression early. Everything I used to love about their two piece bats has gone away. I find myself gravitating towards Miken which I'm not proud to say. And it's dissapointing because not too many bats can hang with my OG LV1 (1500 swings) and 14' LV1 (3500 + swings) and both still pass compression.

I've never been a big fan of that sledgy feel they started introducing with the 13' line. I'm probably in the minority there. I loved the balance points of the 2012 line. True 1oz EL's. The thing I love about Easton is that signature responsiveness. Which, this line still has.

Easton never went away..... people just thought the grass was greener elsewhere. I still swing Eastons about 99% of my ABs.

Yes they did. Maybe it's just a Utah thing, but people let their Eastons rot to swing Miken/Worth. Hell, Easton changed their bats to be more like Miken/Worth. What does that tell you?

They're not failing compression as fast s worth mikens, just fast for Eastons. From what I hear they're still lasting longer than demars too.

It seems pretty close if you ask me. I had 80 hits on my Baker when I took it to Nationals weekend before last. Failed.

I witnessed a new Helmer fail in under 100 swings.

Yep. I'm noticing the same.

I'll take the performance of the 17 for the shorter durability. It's that much better.

This....... I think durability is just something that needs to be managed. Once I figured it out with Miken/Worths, I only broke bats when I wanted to.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems pretty close if you ask me. I had 80 hits on my Baker when I took it to Nationals weekend before last. Failed.

Yep. I'm noticing the same.

Did you treat it the same as your Mikens or assume it was still going to be like Eastons of old? There have been way more Eastons around here than the past and I have heard of anywhere near as many failing or as fast as Mikens. There will be some outliers of course.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Did you treat it the same as your Mikens or assume it was still going to be like Eastons of old? There have been way more Eastons around here than the past and I have heard of anywhere near as many failing or as fast as Mikens. There will be some outliers of course.

I've treated both my 17' Baker and Helmer like Eastons of old. Broke them both in using Thunder ZN Classic M (albiet my bag of balls are fairly old). Both are sitting on the line after 100 hits. They'll pass or fail just depending on which side you test. Going forward, I would hit 40-65 hard balls to loosen it up, then switch over to some .52's. That'll be my gameplan anyways.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've treated both my 17' Baker and Helmer like Eastons of old. Broke them both in using Thunder ZN Classic M (albiet my bag of balls are fairly old). Both are sitting on the line after 100 hits. They'll pass or fail just depending on which side you test. Going forward, I would hit 40-65 hard balls to loosen it up, then switch over to some .52's. That'll be my gameplan anyways.

If I ever play in Utah again I'm bringing the deadest, crappiest Eastons I have. 300' fields and ZN classic Ms... with only 4 HR. Compression testing for every bat too.

That's pure insanity. I bet a lot of guys there have bats fail at every tournament. Everyone knows ZNs destroy bats very, very quickly.

The reports I'm hearing of durability on the new Eastons aren't encouraging at all.

Last edited:

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
The way you two swing, I don't see why you guys even waste hits on the new bats with "break in". Ok, maybe a handful to get the feel.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put my first swings on my Wegman thursday, and it was already changing sounds by swing 5 with these GSL rocks. I've got a bad knee and will be done for the year soon either way, but I'll probably only put about 20 more swings on it before it's basically games only. They're certainly not like old Eastons.

Drew 23

I haven't swung Easton (other than BP) for quite a few years. I've been one of the guys that found myself picking up Miken/Worth for the past 3+ years. One of my BP buddies bought a new Baker for pennies and kept telling me to pick it up. I gotta say, it felt good swinging an Easton again. I've always loved the responsiveness of Easton. The reason I went to Miken was exit speed. Well, call me crazy, but that Baker was keeping up with any Miken/Worth after about 100 cuts. I've since grabbed a Baker and a Helmer and been nothing but impressed. Anyone else find themselves going back to Easton?
No Easton is far from back . I have always been a huge Easton fan stopped playing for a few yrs started playing again so first thing I ordered 30 oz wegman flex and 28.5 helmer flex out of wrapper good pop baseball field shortest part 345 cleared easy than tried my buddy's 30 black yellow dc41 no comparison was clearing 410 plus easily all we used were .40 core rocks

bird25

34/30 Club #25

Any difference between the 16 and 17 flex bats for utrip? Already have a 16 helmer flex, 13.5 barrel and was looking at the 2017 baker with the 13.5 barrel

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
I put my first swings on my Wegman thursday, and it was already changing sounds by swing 5 with these GSL rocks. I've got a bad knee and will be done for the year soon either way, but I'll probably only put about 20 more swings on it before it's basically games only. They're certainly not like old Eastons.

Definitely not like Eastons of old. They get good quick.

No Easton is far from back . I have always been a huge Easton fan stopped playing for a few yrs started playing again so first thing I ordered 30 oz wegman flex and 28.5 helmer flex out of wrapper good pop baseball field shortest part 345 cleared easy than tried my buddy's 30 black yellow dc41 no comparison was clearing 410 plus easily all we used were .40 core rocks

Those are some logs. Holy hell.

Any difference between the 16 and 17 flex bats for utrip? Already have a 16 helmer flex, 13.5 barrel and was looking at the 2017 baker with the 13.5 barrel

Definitely a difference for me. They get hotter quicker. My Baker started failing in less than 100 swings. It's now at 350 swings, give or take and tests at 175. I'd upload a pic, but since the website changed, I don't know how to post pics anymore. Hahaha.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Almost got a Baker this weekend at worlds...Just couldn't pull the trigger as I have enough sticks as it is. I've had the Vet and Helmer this year and am VERY impressed with the changes Easton has made. I think they will keep getting better as well. Plenty of people will start catching on.

The first bat I hit with the TCT composite was the OG Torq (I know people didn't like the handle, but the actual barrel, distance and exit speeds were great)....I knew from the start that Easton had something good going and it has progressively got better. Interested to see what the '18 line brings....

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Almost got a Baker this weekend at worlds...Just couldn't pull the trigger as I have enough sticks as it is. I've had the Vet and Helmer this year and am VERY impressed with the changes Easton has made. I think they will keep getting better as well. Plenty of people will start catching on.

The first bat I hit with the TCT composite was the OG Torq (I know people didn't like the handle, but the actual barrel, distance and exit speeds were great)....I knew from the start that Easton had something good going and it has progressively got better. Interested to see what the '18 line brings....

If you liked the Torq you should check out the SIS team edition, USSSA or ASA. Same technology and I think its better than the Torq.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
If you liked the Torq you should check out the SIS team edition, USSSA or ASA. Same technology and I think its better than the Torq.

I actually had one but traded it away NIW so never got to swing it. I heard they were silly good though. I assume that this year's mainline and the SiS one are pretty much the same, except the obvious weighting and EL setups.

WillW3

Starting Player
I ran out of breath reading this

4xtra

Player/Coach
Definitely a difference for me. They get hotter quicker. My Baker started failing in less than 100 swings. It's now at 350 swings, give or take and tests at 175. I'd upload a pic, but since the website changed, I don't know how to post pics anymore. Hahaha
170?
WOW
This is a SHOTGUN

upload_2017-9-5_13-1-11.jpeg

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
170?
WOW
This is a SHOTGUN

View attachment 40108

2637sx4.jpg

Dude that's not even close to being legal. I guess we can put to rest the argument that Easton isn't on par with Miken/Worth

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The ball definitely comes off it well. That's for sure.

You ever have a bat get so soft that the ball stops coming off it properly? Like, everything turns into a soft knuckleball and the bat makes a poofy sound when you hit it.

Sure sign a bat is dying. Is that Baker approaching this?

tonys1

You ever have a bat get so soft that the ball stops coming off it properly? Like, everything turns into a soft knuckleball and the bat makes a poofy sound when you hit it.

Sounds like my cluggy

4xtra

Player/Coach

I had a Z4K Dually do this.
Very very nice with the 52 NIW
and after 600+ swings?

The ball was practically sticking to the bat.
Performance fell off by 25%