NSA Is there a time limit to protest a game?

chewgravel219

Addicted to Softballfans
Found out other team using illegal bat in play.

Bat was called into question, but umpire did not look at it as felt if it was shaved no way to tell.

It may or not be shaved, but it is one that is illegal to use in the league. What should be done?

Is there a time limit to protest?

Not my team, asking for a coach who is a friend.

Thank you

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
Protests needs to occur at the time of the infraction/dispute in all sanctions as far as I am aware. So in this case, if the coach was made aware during the game that the bat was being used, if he/she then notified the umpire of the same and the umpire refused to remove the bat from the game he/she would then have needed to immediately declare that they were playing the game under protest and have it noted on the official scorecard/book or whatever method of tracking the games that the league uses and after the game as soon as possible get in contact with the site director or league director to pay the necessary protest fees.

In a case like this, this is where camera phones could come in handy, request to take photos showing the umpire holding the bat in dispute so that there is no question as to which bat was being questioned and whether or not it was truly there.

chewgravel219

Addicted to Softballfans
I did find under rules where it says reasonable amount of time. and 48 hours is considered reasonable.

According to my friend, they thought the bat was shaved. Which is what they questioned.

What they didn't know, til later, is that it is a non approved bat. He wants to actually see them using it in another game to prove its the one.

Hope that makes sense:)

Joker

I did find under rules where it says reasonable amount of time. and 48 hours is considered reasonable.

According to my friend, they thought the bat was shaved. Which is what they questioned.

What they didn't know, til later, is that it is a non approved bat. He wants to actually see them using it in another game to prove its the one.

Hope that makes sense:)
The notification of intent to protest must be made immediately before the next pitch.

The official protest must be filed within a reasonable time:
a) Within forty-eight (48) hours after the scheduled time of the contest is generally considered a reasonable amount of time in league play. In tournament play, all play ceases until the protest is resolved.

the official protest is just the paperwork

chewgravel219

Addicted to Softballfans
Combat Lady Virus He doesn't have a computer. That's where I found the notation under protest. Thank you:)
Does he really have any recourse after the fact?

Joker

unless he told the ump/scorekeeper/LD that they were playing the rest of the game under protest before the next pitch, nope

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
Like Joker said, protest needed to be made known at the time of the infraction, then within a reasonable amount of time filed with the league which usually involves filing fee's and a short form.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I would send an email to the league director and let them know what is going on. At the very least it should keep that bat from being used again.

sjury

The Old Man
We had a team use a Demarini Juice in an ASA game. I told the umpire the bat was non approved. He said he didn't have a list and I had to take it up with the league director. The LD said the umpire should have a copy of the ASA bat list and should have pulled the bat at the time it was pointed out, but he would send an email to the team manager telling them the bat should not be used, but as far as our game went it stood. I pointed the bat out in the 1st inning and we lost by 2, and they hit 13 hr. The other team wasn't happy and said next time they'll beat us without the bat, they didn't. The worst thing is we see each other everyweek, because we have the same sponsor....lol

Loso54

Addicted to Softballfans
This isn't really a protest more than an appeal just my opinion. This situation actually can only happen at the time the bat is used and before the next pitch is thrown. Also a side note with this particular situation it can be enforced as soon as the batter steps into the batters box, you not have to wait until the batter takes a pitch and or hits the ball.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
This isn't really a protest more than an appeal just my opinion. This situation actually can only happen at the time the bat is used and before the next pitch is thrown. Also a side note with this particular situation it can be enforced as soon as the batter steps into the batters box, you not have to wait until the batter takes a pitch and or hits the ball.

No it is a protest due to a misapplication of a rule.