Is there a way you can tell if another teams bat might be altered / illegal?

Rocketfire24

Addicted to Softballfans
since a 400ft moonshot w/ a hammer= 276 with an ASA composite :confused:

Not with a bad ball in a league where there is only a couple hrs a year. Those are short fences, I play in an ASA league with 280' fences that are 15 feet high...and yeah, you can miss-hit a ball and it will float over...and we do hit a good amount of hrs. But if we had a bad ASA ball it wouldn't be super easy and the guys that don't have power would not hit hrs all day.

I still don't think that you can conclude this other team is using a shaved bat, they are probably just much better.

3Bcrusher

Hall of Fame EH
You can tell by asking anyone on here as they are ALL bat experts who know everything there is to know about bats

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
OP just remember....If you win you cheat, if you loose you suck!!! and for the record hitting a ball 325 with a legit ASA bat is NOT hard to do(for some guys)

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I enjoy all the people bagging on the 275' fences.

I've seen the videos uploaded here -- 80% of this site still couldn't put one out at 275', or even 225'.

brees6221

Addicted to Softballfans
To answer your original question your pitcher is going to have to be a team player. He'll need to throw himself in front of any line drive near him and play possum. Have the bat confiscated and tested, then you'll have your answer.

philcasi

Addicted to Softballfans
Been playing in the same co-ed rec league for 5 years now. League has 4 levels of play and I play in the lowest level (basically we are not very good). League has always had the same 15-20 teams. Every year 2-3 teams drop out and 2-3 new ones join. This year one of the new teams is basically killing every team in the league by way of dropping bombs. The park we play in is 275 ft and every game they are hitting 4-6 over the fence. Many of them are clearing by quite a bit (probably 50 feet). Bats have to be ASA legal. Think this team just signed up for the wrong level of play or are they using an illegal stick and is there any way to tell? Over the past 5 years in this league I have seen maybe 2-3 homeruns per year and they usually just clear the fence.

now, theres your problem.

tzinc

Addicted to Softballfans
they are playing in the wrong division
they need to be playing in the altered bat division

wink

Winkleton
I enjoy all the people bagging on the 275' fences.

I've seen the videos uploaded here -- 80% of this site still couldn't put one out at 275', or even 225'.

All kinds of truth in these statements...

I only bagged on it in meaning to say; WHY would you question 275'. It is still a good shot, BUT A LOT of guys can hit it with a flick of the wrist.

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
Does the whole team swing the same bat???
That would be one of your 1st clues.
Especially if they have several other quality bats.
I agree with this post or they signed up for the wrong level. I assume though that they can't be bumped up until next year.

pnpxtreme

Lights Out Sports
grab the said bat, smash it against a pole, look inside. If you see lathe marks, its shaved. If not, say sorry.

NO_MAAM

Addicted to Softballfans
Ask to swing there bat next time you play.
If you clear that 275' fence and they Yell "Blue He's Swinging A Shaved Bat"...... ? Amswered

06redralli

Addicted to Softballfans
What brands of bat is your team swinging? A couple girls on my co-ed team can hit 275 easy. Could just be a lack of decent equipment on your teams part as well...

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
Been playing in the same co-ed rec league for 5 years now. League has 4 levels of play and I play in the lowest level (basically we are not very good). League has always had the same 15-20 teams. Every year 2-3 teams drop out and 2-3 new ones join. This year one of the new teams is basically killing every team in the league by way of dropping bombs. The park we play in is 275 ft and every game they are hitting 4-6 over the fence. Many of them are clearing by quite a bit (probably 50 feet). Bats have to be ASA legal. Think this team just signed up for the wrong level of play or are they using an illegal stick and is there any way to tell? Over the past 5 years in this league I have seen maybe 2-3 homeruns per year and they usually just clear the fence.

I dont think there's a team in either of the leagues I play in that doesnt have at least 2 guys that can hit 300+ with stock ASA bats and these arent even very competitive leagues for the most part.

I can hit the ball 275+ 5 out of 10 times at BP, does anyone in your town know how to hit?

USAFBenchwarmer

Addicted to Softballfans
Bottum line, without seeing the inside of the bat there is zero way to be positive. If everyone uses the same bat in coed it means absolutely nothing. If the one bat sounds different, it means absolutely nothing. Some teams will chip in 10 bucks or so a piece and buy a team bat. This bat starts pissing fire and then everyone uses said bat. We have 2 white stealths on our team. One of which is mine and doesnt have as many hits as the other which is not mine. Both bats are completely stock. The one outhits mine by 15 feet or so and sounds way different. Its just broken in so the sound is different. Sounds to me like you have a case of a new team that didnt know where to play so they started at the bottum. We got girls on our coed team that can go 310 to 315 with mediocre asa composites so 275 is possible by anyone with a composite and technique.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA

This can't be real. Srsly...a team hits 4-6 hrs over a 275 fence, so they are using shaved sticks. This has to be a member using their trolling alias. If not...OP hitting a ball 275 is laughable.

Last edited:

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
If the other team beats you then they MUST be swinging cheater bats. Hit the gym and take more BP sir.