Is this a good Soft Toss Machine?

littletxfarm

Team Grizzly
softoss machines are pretty simple devices (Pop ball up). Looks like this one is spring loaded so doesn't need batteries or AC, but requires you to push something between each swing. I would say that is good, and the price is real good on it. Portability looks good. You should get it and let us know what you think!

I have an Easton that pops ball up at an angle and is timed like every 10 seconds(but it requires AC or batteries).. I'm not sure I like the angle thing though because its kinda hard to set it just in the right spot.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
softoss machines are pretty simple devices (Pop ball up). Looks like this one is spring loaded so doesn't need batteries or AC, but requires you to push something between each swing. I would say that is good, and the price is real good on it. Portability looks good. You should get it and let us know what you think!

I have an Easton that pops ball up at an angle and is timed like every 10 seconds(but it requires AC or batteries).. I'm not sure I like the angle thing though because its kinda hard to set it just in the right spot.

The pushing it down between swings wouldn't bother me, but you have to step on that thing to trigger the ball. I wouldn't like that. I'd pay the extra 30 or so dollars for the Easton one if it charges like my Jugs one. Charge it up, and it runs for several hours.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
my buddy has one of them and he loves it. I hate it, like JBO said seeing that you have to step on it to activate it if you use it enough then you literally add that step as part of your swing. He now has an extra hitch in his swing from spending all winter working with it...

xdnine

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm sure you dont have to step on it. You can probably push it down with your bat. Like that one pop toss that requires you to stick the handle down the tube to activate the spring.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
I'm sure you dont have to step on it. You can probably push it down with your bat. Like that one pop toss that requires you to stick the handle down the tube to activate the spring.

you can either pushing it with the bat or stepping on it still adds another part ot your swing. Like I said my buddy has this exact one. The pedal that you push is attached with the same cable that are used for bicycle brakes and it pulls down a bar and allows the ball to roll down. There is about 1-1/2 seconds in between the stepping on the pedal and the ball releasing...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Watch very closely on the video. I'm not talking about the pushing the spring down to load it, I'm talking about how the kid steps on the little button thing with his stride. That's what lets the machine know to shoot the ball up. For a slow pitch swing it'd give you a huge hitch because you'd step, and have to wait a long time to swing. I would think it would even give a baseball swing a hitch.

I also don't like the one where you push it down with your bat handle and then just have to wait until it shoots up. None of them are perfect, but at least the Jugs, Easton, and Wheeler Dealer have a sort of rhythm to them where you can get used to the timing. I just bought some wiffleballs to use in my Jugs. I've got a broom handle I made to be like the Handeye bats and I think that's all I plan to use it for from now on. I can do that in my backyard and it tosses the wiffleballs pretty high for timing.

Garus

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm looking to buy a soft toss machine but not sure what to get. This one looks like it's pretty good for the $$$. Just would like to get some input from those of you how use one. Thanks

http://www.shop.beebesports.com/product.sc?productId=1

This machine is a great product for young kids to use to work on hitting. It's not for every adult, but some have tried it and like it. I wouldn't reccomend it for taller people (say above 6 ft) or players that take bigger strides. Works best for people that have a short step w/rotational swing. (although, whiffle balls can be tossed high enough with this machine so a person will have time for a bigger stride.)
Young kids that use this machine absolutely love it and will practice for hours on it.

This machine won't cause you to hitch, if you adjust the machine to toss the ball higher, then load and swing as ball starts back down. (video on web site DOESN'T show ball tossed at the highest peak)

If a person wants to develop quick hands/bat speed, then adjust the machine to toss the ball at a lower toss so you will have to get around quick on the ball before it starts back down to machine.

This machine can also be used to practice with a one handed swing trainer bat.

Hope this answers your questions

RLead

The ONE!
I have the Easton one. I have 2 - 5 gallon buckets (one inside the other) and fill the bucket with balls. Get to the field, dump out the balls and set the machine on it and in front of the plate. You can line it up for inside, outside or whatever type of pitch you would like to work on.

Works great for me.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
This machine is a great product for young kids to use to work on hitting. It's not for every adult, but some have tried it and like it. I wouldn't reccomend it for taller people (say above 6 ft) or players that take bigger strides. Works best for people that have a short step w/rotational swing. (although, whiffle balls can be tossed high enough with this machine so a person will have time for a bigger stride.)
Young kids that use this machine absolutely love it and will practice for hours on it.

This machine won't cause you to hitch, if you adjust the machine to toss the ball higher, then load and swing as ball starts back down. (video on web site DOESN'T show ball tossed at the highest peak)

If a person wants to develop quick hands/bat speed, then adjust the machine to toss the ball at a lower toss so you will have to get around quick on the ball before it starts back down to machine.

This machine can also be used to practice with a one handed swing trainer bat.

Hope this answers your questions

I can tell you first hand it can cause a hitch if using it enough. Like I said my buddy now has an added hitch to his swing because he used it all winter long in his garage batting cage. His batting avg has even dropped over .100 points due to it...

Garus

Addicted to Softballfans
I can tell you first hand it can cause a hitch if using it enough. Like I said my buddy now has an added hitch to his swing because he used it all winter long in his garage batting cage. His batting avg has even dropped over .100 points due to it...

This isn't a step swing type machine. It's like self tossing to your self and hitting the ball when it starts back down, only the machine tosses the ball. The ball toss is initiated by stepping on the launch pad. If the ball is tossed high enough, then a person has enough time to step and swing as ball starts back down. It may cause a hitch if it isn't adjusted to toss to the ball to the correct height of the person. The machine will only toss a softball about shoulder high to someone around 5ft 11in.

Like I said, works great for kids, and may or may not work for adults.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't a step swing type machine. It's like self tossing to your self and hitting the ball when it starts back down, only the machine tosses the ball. The ball toss is initiated by stepping on the launch pad. If the ball is tossed high enough, then a person has enough time to step and swing as ball starts back down. It may cause a hitch if it isn't adjusted to toss to the ball to the correct height of the person. The machine will only toss a softball about shoulder high to someone around 5ft 11in.

Like I said, works great for kids, and may or may not work for adults.

How do you not understand how that creates a hitch? Do you pause for a second or a second and a half after your front foot touches down on your swing? By the time my front foot touches down I'm well into my swing, and waiting to find out where the ball is going from there isn't going to help my swing.

TinMan4Dub

Weekend Warrior
WOW....bigger debate than I expected. You all make a valid point. But I think what I am getting from all this is, I'm going to have to put out some more cash and get me a juggs or an Easton. I just thought this was a pretty good deal, I just can't see me spending that kind of $$$ for a Juggs or Easton just to break in a bat.

Garus

Addicted to Softballfans
How do you not understand how that creates a hitch? Do you pause for a second or a second and a half after your front foot touches down on your swing? By the time my front foot touches down I'm well into my swing, and waiting to find out where the ball is going from there isn't going to help my swing.

Could create a hitch if not done properly. The first step (or toe tap down on the launch pad) is to just get the ball launched in the air. If the ball is tossed high enough, then you will have time to get ready and take your normal swing step and hit the ball as it's coming back down.

If you want to do a quick swing (like a fast pitch swing), then adjust the machine for a shorter ball toss and do a step/quick swing before ball starts back down to machine. This way works good for girls fastpitch swing.

TinMan4Dub

Weekend Warrior
Aright now check out this buy. It says only the handle is broken, everything else works just fine. Now I've seen what these go for, is $70 shipped to my door for a broken handle juggs a good deal?

Check out this item I found on the Bay:

Jugs Soft Toss Machine

Last edited: