ISA now allows Senior bats

Darracq

There is nothing good about a normal hitter using a senior bat. Put it in the hands of someone with average ability and it becomes aerial weapon. What do you think will happen when an above average player hits with it?

I hit the ball farther with a dc41 than I do with senior bats'

JoePaterno

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the dumbest thing I have seen an association do in a long time. You keep using the 44/375, but allow senior sticks? You argue that changing the hr limits will decrease balls up the middle, but then make it mandatory that pitchers wear masks? Just plain stupid.

Mrjames

The Rookie
This is from a Senior player, the 1.21 are not much if any hotter than a good broken in 1.20 bat. This guys test bats all the time and tels his opnion on them .

Guys for the last two days I have been hitting and shaking my head not believing it. I have been testing Mikens new DC41 bat and simply put IT IS THE BEST USSSA BAT RIGHT OUT OF THE WRAPPER I HAVE EVER HIT. now you guys know I'm beating up just about every piece of carbon I can get my hands on and to say that about one bat....means something. I was so impressed by the bat after just TEN swings I stopped and had one of my bp guys shoot a short video so people would believe me. If you want to see it go to my facebook page under Alan Tanner and it's about 4 minutes long. There is a short intro clip and a separate video with me hitting the bat. They are one ounce end loads but the engineers did a great job with the swing weight as it still doesn't feel overly end weighted. I was getting close to senior bat performance within 20-30 swings. Amazing bat and I predict a top bat for the coming year. It has a one year warranty too. Get with me if you need more information but I'll just say this bat has my unconditional vote of approval!

Alan Tanner

Last edited by a moderator:

whogotz

dilligaf?
wow - senior bats?!?!? player safety requiring a mask?

just my opinion but if you want to put a senior bat in the hands of some guys that hit rockets already and expect just a mask to protect the pitcher - you are just asking for someone to get seriously hurt.

why not add a pitching screen if you're allowing senior bats - still feel sorry for infielders but at least they can back up to the grass.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive taken some BP with senior bats... They are ridiculous...

I don't care what Alan Tanner says... Im thinking he is just trying to sell more DC 41s

Tim McElroy

Addicted to Softballfans
I am an ISA director and was present at the convention in Tupelo last week. I have also worked at a number of senior events around the country for the past 7 years.

I voted in favor of this rules change and here are my thoughts-

Changing the bat standard without also looking at some other rule modifications would have been a mistake, so a package of rules was passed.

1.21 BPF was approved
Pitchers are required to wear a facemask
The pitcher's box was extended by 4 feet (50-60' is permitted)
Retain the existing courtesy foul rule (courtesy is allowed)

When all other associations are experiencing a decrease in participation, the men's and women's 40s group is growing at a considerable rate.

Our partners in the senior community use the same bat standard, same ball, and similar pitching / pitcher protection rules. They have not seen a rise in injuries- but again, have seen an increase in participation.

Mrjames

The Rookie
It is evident you have not watch much senior ball at the 40s and 50s. The hit it a lot harder than you might think, a lot of them are ex major players

JoePaterno

Addicted to Softballfans
For Tim McElroy,

You can spin it however you like, but there is no intelligent reason for these changes to have been made. Now a pitcher is forced to wear a mask and try to learn to pitch from 60 feet away if he wants to have a sense of safety. What's even worse is that you kept the 44/375 ball. You actually did nothing to give the pitcher competitive help against these bats. At the minimum, the the pitching height should have been raised to 12 feet, or better yet go unlimited arc and use a strike mat. I'd feel a little better knowing I could put a 16' arc on the ball against senior bats. I guess there's always next year.

Joker

It is evident you have not watch much senior ball at the 40s and 50s. The hit it a lot harder than you might think, a lot of them are ex major players

the good ones aren't playing in a podunk association like ISA

Mrjames

The Rookie
I was speaking of ssusa senior a bunch of ex major Jose Canseco plays in the 50s

he can still hit it we'll. they do not have any more batted ball injuries as usssa young man ball

Last edited:

mihklo

I am an ISA director and was present at the convention in Tupelo last week. I have also worked at a number of senior events around the country for the past 7 years.

I voted in favor of this rules change and here are my thoughts-

Changing the bat standard without also looking at some other rule modifications would have been a mistake, so a package of rules was passed.

1.21 BPF was approved
Pitchers are required to wear a facemask
The pitcher's box was extended by 4 feet (50-60' is permitted)
Retain the existing courtesy foul rule (courtesy is allowed)

When all other associations are experiencing a decrease in participation, the men's and women's 40s group is growing at a considerable rate.

Our partners in the senior community use the same bat standard, same ball, and similar pitching / pitcher protection rules. They have not seen a rise in injuries- but again, have seen an increase in participation.

It's amazing what a good director will do for your state. As for sc there's a reason why ISA has declined a bit and NSA is the clear winner here.

Joker

I was speaking of ssusa senior a bunch of ex major Jose Canseco plays in the 50s

he can still hit it we'll. they do not have any more batted ball injuries as usssa young man ball

because going to the extreme is a good argument

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
A mask only covers the face. What about the arms, knees, ankles, shins, etc.?

Backing the mound up isn't as good of a measure as you would think either. First, the further away the pitcher is, the harder is becomes to be accurate.....that's why they award 3 points in basketball for the long shots, as accuracy decreases. Secondly, the trajectory changes on the arc, making a 10' pitch easier to square up as it is coming in at a flatter angle. Lastly I'd talk about pitch speed, but I digress.

I don't play it much as it is due to being poorly run in this state, but I don't see myself playing it at all going forward with this bat/ball combination.

Another win for USSSA IMO. Sometimes no changes is better than poor change.

1badtrain

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm curious as to how many people complaining have actually played 40's senior ball? I have been playing for 3 years and can't think of one person getting seriously hurt using senior bats and 44/375 balls.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm curious as to how many people complaining have actually played 40's senior ball? I have been playing for 3 years and can't think of one person getting seriously hurt using senior bats and 44/375 balls.

I'm curious to know how many seniors have played anything but senior ball in the past 5 years.

1badtrain

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm curious to know how many seniors have played anything but senior ball in the past 5 years.
A lot more than you might think. I play tournaments almost every weekend, seniors probably once per month. I travel all over Southern California to play and run into the same guys I play seniors with every weekend.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
You get to use a senior bat when you're over 40? That seems kinda nuts to me if it's true, something to look forward to.

1badtrain

Addicted to Softballfans
You get to use a senior bat when you're over 40? That seems kinda nuts to me if it's true, something to look forward to.
Yes you do! Quite a few major players play in the 40 and over division.
9b7382dd14322e99eebd905275839737.jpg

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Yes you do! Quite a few major players play in the 40 and over division.
9b7382dd14322e99eebd905275839737.jpg

That's awesome, maybe I shouldn't habe so many regular bats stocked up, may need to start findinga senior stick I like, only 3yrs to go. Seems crazy though, I'm still improving as a hitter.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
You have to be 50+ here, 40's you are just playing regular ball.

And I am guessing that 50+ guys are not thinking about blowing up middle as much as the younger guys. I could be wrong, but hope I am right.

striker33

Addicted to Softballfans

My team won't be using them dub.I think this is crazy.good utrip bats and our league balls is plenty hot for my taste.the funny thing is that u know the rec teams with no bat control and 0 homeruns will be the very ones that will be using these bats...

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>
You have to be 50+ here, 40's you are just playing regular ball.

And I am guessing that 50+ guys are not thinking about blowing up middle as much as the younger guys. I could be wrong, but hope I am right.

For the majority, yes.
Still, there were a few very close calls.