Any It's Not A Foul

PCMAY

Starting Player
I was watching a game the other night and the batter hit a dribbler down 1st base line. The ball started out foul and the umpire immediately called it foul. However, before the catcher could get to the ball, it rolled over the chalk line a few inches into fair territory and stopped. I know it is not a foul ball, but it's really frustrating to see umpires make this call.

Why can't a poster simply make an observation as opposed to asking a question?

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I was watching a game the other night and the batter hit a dribbler down 1st base line. The ball started out foul and the umpire immediately called it foul. However, before the catcher could get to the ball, it rolled over the chalk line a few inches into fair territory and stopped. I know it is not a foul ball, but it's really frustrating to see umpires make this call.

Was there a question in there? After all, this isn't the ***** About the Umpire page. :)

PCMAY

Starting Player
I umped for a number of years, but don't anymore. Most of the umps that read this should know the rule. But it is a good reminder. Particularly since the umps in our league have missed the call several times this year. Maybe one of them is a member of this forum and will read this post. :)

MaverickAH

Could it have been possible that the ball deflected off of the batter? That could possibly be the reason for the immediate foul ball call.

You'll soon learn who's who & learn to ignore unhelpful responses........

PCMAY

Starting Player
Could it have been possible that the ball deflected off of the batter? That could possibly be the reason for the immediate foul ball call. You'll soon learn who's who & learn to ignore unhelpful responses........

Good question, no it didn't deflect off the batter.

I took a moment to read a few of RS' posts. Most of them seem to be attempts at banter and repartee (i.e. his last couple of posts), which I don't mind really. I enjoy verbal sparring on occasion. lol

PCMAY

Starting Player
RS, just push the "unwatch" link for this terrible thread. It's near the top right of the page.
That way you won't be bothered by it.

RustyShakleford

You don't understand. This has no place here. If everyone who saw a bad call started a thread then it would clog up this section from actual useful threads. You are not helping anyone with the stupid thread. You're just bitching and complaining. Stop ****ing up this section with useless threads.

PCMAY

Starting Player
You are so easy to bait that it becomes boring. lol
I don't think the thread is going to get deleted unless a moderator does so.
Almost half the posts on the thread are yours and have added no value.
Have you considered not posting on the thread, so it can disappear off the page?

Last edited:

RustyShakleford

You are so easy to bait that it becomes boring. lol
I don't think the thread is going to get deleted unless a moderator does so.
Almost half the posts on the thread are yours and have added no value.
Have you considered not posting on the thread, so it can disappear off the page?
You're too retarded to understand, sucks to be you and a burden on your family

Last edited:

PCMAY

Starting Player
Wow, can't win an softball forum argument so you resort to denigrating personal attacks.
You most have been hell in debate class. :)

RS, I think I have had enough fun at your expense and probably also owe you an apology.
I am sorry for baiting you. I enjoy banter and rarely take it personally. However, it seems
you do. Consequently, it's time for me to stop, at least on this thread. :)

Have a great weekend!

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Well yeah, that is the culture of the day.
"I can't be wrong. I have 9 participation trophies on my resume, I think I know what I am talking about."

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Because the thread theme request questions.

To your complaint, it does sound like a premature call unless there were circumstances not included in your post. And some probably don't think it is that big a deal, but as pointed out here, it is. Sometime routine calls become so routine they are assumed and made too early. Part of that is the apathy of those working the game.

About a decade or so ago during an on-field drill in a school, part of instruction to get this point across (to not assume), I stated to the class that "a batted ball is not a foul ball until it actually becomes a foul ball". One of the students was a baseball guy who wanted to get into HS softball (for the $$). Of course, he knew everything because he had attended Harry Wendelstedt's school. He laughed and noted to the other students how "stupid" that comment was and it must have been a softball thing. He really didn't respect the game and was only in it for the money. He never could adjust to the game and my "stupid" comment came back to haunt him later that season when, like in the OP, he called a rolling ball foul that rolled back and hit the side of 3B.

It is just a bad move for an umpire to be quick on a call.

JabNblue

Good question, no it didn't deflect off the batter.

I took a moment to read a few of RS' posts. Most of them seem to be attempts at banter and repartee (i.e. his last couple of posts), which I don't mind really. I enjoy verbal sparring on occasion. lol
Ad umpires just like players. We are not perfect . Sometimes adrenaline gets us in trouble . Let the ball fall before you make your call. Or let it stop completely then make ruling. Once said though, live and learn. I've yet to ever see a perfect player, coach, or umpire. Do all players never make an out or a defensive error???