"Jap"

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
When did being offensive stop anyone from posting something in here?

So now there are acceptable "offensive" posts and unacceptable ones?

From what I have seen, the context in the way it has been used (in general) has been as an abbreviation not as a derogatory slang term.....but I have been trained to see the other side too.

That's our society these days......you can pretty much find a way to be offended by just about anything said if you try hard enough. If you want to be offended, you will be.

Now get back to the Vinci hate crimes and leave our Japanese brethren alone.

Last edited:

targa

Manager
Just a quick poll: How many of you consider the term "jap" offensive?

There's a lot of diversity here at SBF and I have come to find out a lot of my glove buddies are actually Asian or of Asian descent. I'm trying to find out if we're directly offending them on what seems like a daily basis lately.

A fair question and a lot of respect to people on this board for some sensitive and sensible comments.

Quite often, people debate the context, use and intent of a word and whether the group in question SHOULD take offense. But in my limted experience, a label can carry a stigma where regardless of the context, it can make someone feel like a stereotype, derogatory comment or negative insinuation has carried over into mainstream or is pervasive. It can just be a word that feels bad or wrong to use regardless of context.

If it isn't respectful or at least neutral, I try to stay away. If it would make a person of Japanese descent cringe hearing it, or remind them of a time or incident of persecution, even if one out of ten, then that's enough for me. And I won't question whether that is reasonable or not. Just my two cents.

Mason4208

Gestapo gloves. Kidding! Kidding!

0D7E0823-8586-4EC3-8BA7-CE3E3BBA3028-96711-000045E4D68D9CBD_zps2a55bded.jpg

B56B3C48-DCB6-4A4E-938B-4C377B334230-96711-000045E4D942C2B2_zps73ef4ef5.jpg

jaded808

Addicted to Softballfans
^^ Rous nailed it. The term has been tainted much like the swastika was originally a non-offensive Asian and Middle Eastern cultural/religious symbol before some douchebag named Adolf came along.

I'm part Japanese. Live in Hawaii with a lot more Japanese Americans and it is offensive. It's not like saying the "N" word but because of its history, saying jap aint cool. Almost fighting words IMO. Just like how the swastika was a cultural symbol, because it isn't relevant to our time, doesn't mean it's all good. But if there isn't really intent, I'd chalk it up to ignorance and move on.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
I think I'll use Japan for now on, because even *******s don't want to be considered racist.

Podo

"JewDoe"
I get called a poll or pollock at least once a day if not 10 times and every time no matter the context I say, ga damn right! And proud of it...... Be proud of what/who you are no matter how its said to u. That's my motto and opinion.

sf415

The Veteran
I've never abbreviated Japan that way, just because of the association, regardless of context. My grandfather used it, amongst other words, and the way he used it made it difficult to hear (even when intended innocuously) without at least recalling the racism it once held.

In the guitar world, if it's made in Japan, it's MIJ, or CIJ, crafted in Japan.

Podo

"JewDoe"
And hell to add to that, if the polish made a quality glove like the ones made there. I'd be hella proud of that too!

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I grew up around a lot a racist people. The funny thing is when we were kids we referred to our heritage in a way we were proud of but would still make fun of the stereotypes. I promised myself I would never judge anyone by anything but what they really were, just another person. But dont ever call me a Kraut, LOL.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I love the "man, you can't say anything these days with out offending someone." Seriously? there are 170,000 words in the Oxford English Dictionary (not including the 47,000 they count as discontinued). Let's say 1200 terms are considered offensive or potentially offensive. While I am sure there are terms that are obscure enough that some % of people are ignorant of their offensive nature, but once you know a term is considered offensive, it is pretty easy to avoid it. Let's say your car broke down in a remote area at night and the only folks available to help you were of Japanese decent, I am pretty sure if they saw your MIJ Mizuno on the dashboard, you'd refer to it as "Japanese made" if asked. I just don't buy the argument that "I am just not smart enough to keep up and remember not to offend people."

Same with the "people are just too sensitive, they should not be offended." Everyone has different experiences and tolerances for being mocked or degraded and I don't understand how anyone could seriously feel that it was up to them to judge what threshold someone else should be able to use. Chinese, Japanese and other Asian immigrants were treated very badly in the US for a long time (there are still a lot of Japanese around who remember being imprisoned in internment camps during WWII). I cannot say the same for my Czech relatives who were living in Chicago tenements at the same time. There were slurs used back in the 1900s-1930s against Bohemians ("Bohunk"), but the fact that they would not mean anything to me is now irrelevant. Of course, if I were still living in the old tenement working for minimum wage, I might feel differently.

BTW, I just found this... wow people seem to put a lot of work in finding new ways to degrade others: http://www.rsdb.org/full

ghunt25

Nice post, Rous. I agree. Unfortunately we keep bumping up the post, so the term will always be there. Unless the OP changes the title of the post!

OSU02

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll claim ignorance. I thought Jap mizuno was a good thing. I never would of thought it would offend someone. I've also never met a japanese person nor heard them discriminated against. I've said it to OC, hopefully I didnt offend him if hes japanese.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Had the OP started out by saying "Someone told me they were offended and I don't care, I am keep using this term... who's with me!" and then most responses were in agreement, then I would agree and the quotes wouldn't matter, but it didn't start that way or head that way.

Given that I think it has been a pretty productive thread, I am happy to see it stay near the top. Much worse had it quickly faded away.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Life's too short to give words that much power.

Maybe, but I wonder if we were out watching the same ballgame and I was sitting near you, could I find some words that would get you to take a swing at me? Words can be very powerful indeed.

sf415

The Veteran
You won't hear it on ESPN to describe players, won't read it in a newspaper in stories about trade, international politics or commerce, won't see it on the tag of a glove or garment or in the description on a retail site, won't hear it in any professional context. That should tell you something.

Those who want to lead by example can start using MIJ, and phase out other abbreviations. It might seem sensitive, but it might also be the right thing to do. The commentary on culture and the comedy of political correctness is the best part of this whole conversation. It'd be great if this thread made everyone who reads it that much more intelligent and thoughtful when it comes to those issues so they can find the line between best intentions, humor, sensitivity, and respect and only blur it by choice and not through carelessness.

OSU02

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't go to OSU. I live in a subburb of columbus. Went to a small school to play ball. Not into big crowds so I never enjoyed osu campus life. I work, play ball, and enjoy my family. Im a home body.

that can't be possible.. there are @ 55,000 students at Ohio State alone

mr.augie

Head Ball Coach
I didn't go to OSU. I live in a subburb of columbus. Went to a small school to play ball. Not into big crowds so I never enjoyed osu campus life. I work, play ball, and enjoy my family. Im a home body.

screen name threw me off.. if you'd played at Ohio State, you could've gotten free tattoos!

OSU02

Addicted to Softballfans
Probable more than that! However Im fairly confident I could of got plenty of free stuff at any major school.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Maybe, but I wonder if we were out watching the same ballgame and I was sitting near you, could I find some words that would get you to take a swing at me? Words can be very powerful indeed.

Only if you allow them to bother you.