"Jap"

DIRTY 30

Just a quick poll: How many of you consider the term "jap" offensive?

There's a lot of diversity here at SBF and I have come to find out a lot of my glove buddies are actually Asian or of Asian descent. I'm trying to find out if we're directly offending them on what seems like a daily basis lately.

sac4

Addicted to Softballfans
im not asian or of asian descent but I try not to use it in any of my listing because it is racail slur. It is not used in that context on here but it still applys.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
hate to say it but I always spell out JAPANESE for that reason.

I know 98% of the time we are talking about gloves, BUT, just to be sure
F

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
And yet, I'm not offended by the word "poll". And I'm half of one. ;)
F

Just a quick poll: How many of you consider the term "jap" offensive?

There's a lot of diversity here at SBF and I have come to find out a lot of my glove buddies are actually Asian or of Asian descent. I'm trying to find out if we're directly offending them on what seems like a daily basis lately.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2]

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
I was wondering the same thing cause I normally use jap when talking MIJ.. I wouldn't find this offensive, but I'm not Japanese.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i had never even thought of it before. i always just assumed it was an abbreviation. i have heard a lot of other slurs for different Asian ethnicities though.

Mason4208

Im not Japanese but it doesn't bother me. I don't personally use the term but I know everyone here is referring to a glove. Not to be insulting to a culture.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Even though I know it is just being used as an abbreviation to describe country of origin, the fact that it has been used as a slur and some still view it that way is enough for me to not use it. For me, intent is not 100% of the story, how language is perceived is a key part of what is being communicated. And it is already hard enough to pick up intent through text on a forum.

But LOL, read enough around the forum and you can find stuff out there to offend anyone who is not a white/straight/male.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally, I always use Japan or Japanese since it does sound bad when used as "Jap Made", "Jap Stamp" or "Jap Market" (even though I'm pretty sure no glove bros/sis use it in the negative sense); where as "Made in Jap" is clearly an abbreviation and doesn't sound offensive at all.

spdntrxi

Extra Hitter
I'm Japanese ... so I have some say in this matter. I have thick skin and I dont find it offensive.

but at the sametime I tend to write/type the whole word for others.

Last edited:

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
^^ Rous nailed it. The term has been tainted much like the swastika was originally a non-offensive Asian and Middle Eastern cultural/religious symbol before some douchebag named Adolf came along.

sleeping bear

Extra Hitter
I'm Native American and my wife is Japanese so I have a bit of a stake in this debate.

The fact is, there is already an abbreviation for Japan "JPN". That word was created to be derogatory and makes me cringe when I see it.

People that are blatantly and constantly insensitive and / or racist in this day and age amaze and kind of fascinate me. Just because a couple of people aren't offended doesn't justify insensitivity.

Don't get me started on racism towards native Americans. All I need to do is point to the name of the NFL team in Washington or the mascot of the baseball team in Cleveland.

Let alone the fact that 75% of the members here attended a high school using racially offensive mascots and names.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
I guess you could try other racial slurs to describe other gloves and see if it sits well.... its interesting how some groups/people brush it off vs others....If other slurs were used to describe gear it would last bout 10 mins on SBF before banning....I'm of mixed race and personally you couldn't offend me if you tried cause if your joking I'll laugh but if your serious I'll laugh at you cause you look dumb and I wouldnt need you in my life....

ozzyoyo02

As I am a high school teacher, this term was offensive - But in todays society it is perfectly acceptable. It is commonly used on restaurant signage. Very similar to saying Mexican food. You are not describing anyone one person, you are describing something that is made from there, or derived from there (Mexican food, Japanese Hitachi grill, Thai restaurant, German smorgasbord). Honestly if it offends you I would say sorry. I would also follow that by saying grow up and stop being so easily offended. We all know that we are not trying to offend you, just trying to be descriptive.

Last edited:

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I'm Asian, and I'm on the fence with this one. I've never gone into anyone's thread where they say "Jap Mizuno" or whatever and told them that's not cool, cuz I guess that's just not my style.

At the same time, I would consciously write out "Japanese Mizuno" if the situation ever arose. The word "Jap", IMO, isn't GTG.

Ben_Johnson41

The Gr8est Show on Dirt™
I have a friend who's family is Japanese...I call him Jap and so does everyone else...In fact, I doubt many even know his real name. I don't see why it would be offensive if you are describing softball gear anyway. It is just a shortened version of "Japan." I don't get offended at "Made in U.S.A."

Akij987

I'm half Japanese. In fact I was born in Okinawa, Japan. Moved here almost 24 years ago. My mom and her side of the family still live there. To me it kinda depends on the context it's used in that determines if I find it offensive. Jap Glove= not that offensive. Someone I dont know referring to me as a JAP= offensive. Just depends on the context I guess.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I'm half Japanese. In fact I was born in Okinawa, Japan. Moved here almost 24 years ago. My mom and her side of the family still live there. To me it kinda depends on the context it's used in that determines if I find it offensive. Jap Glove= not that offensive. Someone I dont know referring to me as a JAP= offensive. Just depends on the context I guess.

Ha, me, too! My dad was in the Air Force and stationed there. Small world.

chazerous

Im in the 50/50 boat, I know that its used in regards to a glove, but at the same time I cant bring myself to use it when talking about a glove. I may have used it once or twice, but I dont like to.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Stop with the PC crap, the context in which you are using it, is not in a derogatory manner so why worry about it. If you are offended by the context in which he is using it get a reality check.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've never considered it offensive but I'm starting to reconsider after reading through this thread. I've used it to describe something (Jap glove, Jap car etc.) but never to describe a person. I stay away from Jew and Poll too, it's not that hard to say/type the full version.

Just an observation, the "glove guys" on this forum seem to be a lot more civilized than some of the "bat guys", good to see some debate that's free of insults and name-calling.