'K' Swinging vs. watching

Kaveman

Trend Setter
Just curious - had this happen to a team I coach couple weeks ago. One person got wrung up hitting a fly ball foul, next hit had to be fair - he swings and misses. Later on a noob on our team takes two pitches right down the middle, both for strikes doesn't swing at either. Also gets a 'K'...(f.y.i. we start with a 1 &1 count with a foul to give.)

So which is worse - watching or swinging and missin'?

Last edited:

Dogue

Evil Genius
Both are bad but swinging and missing is worse, means not watching ball or has bad hand-eye coordination. Sometimes you can watch a strike thinking it's crap but ump calls it anyway, but with 2 strikes you should be swinging at anything close.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
I like that you felt the need to explain that he didn't swing even though you used the word "Take" which is the definition of not swinging.

What was the score of this well coached game? I'm sure you pulled it out..

Country469

BJ Fulk once told me if I don't take 1-2 call third strikes a year, you aren't being selective enough.

he meant this for weekend ball tho, not ****ing league. Its league bro, anyone taking 2 strikes in league needs to be cut with a letter opener around their bar sac.

Kaveman

Trend Setter
I like that you felt the need to explain that he didn't swing even though you used the word "Take" which is the definition of not swinging.

What was the score of this well coached game? I'm sure you pulled it out..
good point - all work on that

Kaveman

Trend Setter
Both are bad but swinging and missing is worse, means not watching ball or has bad hand-eye coordination. Sometimes you can watch a strike thinking it's crap but ump calls it anyway, but with 2 strikes you should be swinging at anything close.
Yeah -agreed - had a little debate after the game which is worse..either way the heckling they'll receive for the rest of the season going to be priceless.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the fact you said “took one right down the center” is the worst thing about it. It’s middle... he took one down the middle

Swinging and missing is worse. Striking out looking happens when you know the strike zone

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The only time I'm taking a 2-strike pitch in league is if it's low and outside and I'm worried about drilling the pitcher. I'd rather sit down than hurt someone for no good reason.

Last time I struck out swinging was 3 years ago in an unlimited arc fundraising tourney with a strike mat. Fouled off a 15' pitch, took a 20' pitch on the back edge of the mat, swung at a 25' pitch and missed it by a good foot. The guy that made fun of me the most did the exact same thing in our next game.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Had to of been a slide piece on that first K.

Sunday league 4 seamer, straight as an arrow. It got up to 25', I planted my front foot about 4 times as it came down, missed clean and almost fell over. Meanwhile, the ball hit dead in the middle of the plate and bounced about 5' straight up as I was twisting into the ground.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
if its tourney ball, i don't mind a guy getting rung up on a really close pitch. if its league don't get rung up.

but swinging and missing is only excusable to me if you are trying to do something you don't normally do. like going backside or something.