'K' Swinging vs. watching

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Unlimited arch has got to suck...

It does when you play with a mat and you're not allowed to have your back foot behind the mat. A good pitcher that can throw high and consistently hit the rear of the mat will force you to swing at pitches that feel like they're dropping straight down. There's no chance to actually stride toward the ball, you need to have a good tomahawk swing to do much.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
When Helmer and I finished braiding each other’s hair and making friendship bracelets, he advised to strike out 4 to 4.5 times per year - it keeps you sharp!

Paint his toenails next time, he might get you a free bat without a 3 month wait from Easton's return department.

oppotaco13

if its tourney ball, i don't mind a guy getting rung up on a really close pitch. if its league don't get rung up.

but swinging and missing is only excusable to me if you are trying to do something you don't normally do. like going backside or something.

Did that last night. Wanted to go backside, but like....backside over the fence. It was the 1st pitch though so I was in no danger of the brutal swinging K

A guy

Look at everyone talking like the seasoned pros they are! They're right that some friendly ribbing is in order.

However, I will also take the assumption that these are brand spanking new, never played before players. In which case, you want them swinging to improve hand-eye.

If they've been playing for ages....ouch.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the taker always takes until he had a strike then he just watched one cookie and it's not as bad.

We've all swung and missed. If you play long enough you'll take a strike three as well. If you haven't, just wait.

But if the taking guy normally swings first pitch and he thought he was being selective and was that far off twice in a row I'm giving him some extra grief.

bndawgs

President-Elect
I have a personalized autographed jeff hall softball. it just says good luck, but doesn't say anything about striking out

Normy

I have a personalized autographed jeff hall softball. it just says good luck, but doesn't say anything about striking out
"Ya gotta line up ur knocker knuckles and hit the ball there cuz. Don't forget to grunt!"- Hallzy

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Given that this happened twice in the same game from the team that won by run rule, I'm more interested in hearing stories about the opponent than your K's.

Country469

Ever since that old guy claimed his slider broke 12 inches and he'd been playing slow pitch since age 5 I assume any and all OSPB noobs to only play in special needs leagues

Kaveman

Trend Setter
Look at everyone talking like the seasoned pros they are! They're right that some friendly ribbing is in order.

However, I will also take the assumption that these are brand spanking new, never played before players. In which case, you want them swinging to improve hand-eye.

If they've been playing for ages....ouch.
One had been playing with us for 5 seasons, the other - brand new to softball

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Its league...you can only drink regular beer if you show you’re conference ranking

You should see the full sub coozies that the pros wear...

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
Just curious - had this happen to a team I coach couple weeks ago. One person got wrung up hitting a fly ball foul, next hit had to be fair - he swings and misses. Later on a noob on our team takes two pitches right down the middle, both for strikes doesn't swing at either. Also gets a 'K'...(f.y.i. we start with a 1 &1 count with a foul to give.)

So which is worse - watching or swinging and missin'?

My co-ed team has a rule - if you get rung up looking you owe everyone breakfast. When you play at our level, if you strike out looking you're not really trying.

You might look way dumber if you strike out swinging, but at least you're giving an effort.