Keeping Stats- Should a walk be a hit in the book

jlhawkins9

Addicted to Softballfans
I have heard both arguments on this, but wanted to know your thoughts. We keep a walk a walk and therefore keep OBP as well as Avg on our stats page. Its discouraging though looking at other teams pages and not seeing a BB and knowing their batting avg is inflated with walks. So what do you guys think

1. You should keep a walk a walk
2. A walk is a single in Softball

Last edited:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
It doesn't take fantastic plate discipline to draw a walk in SP...a walk is a walk.

You wanna count a fielder's choice as a single, too?

OBP is what matters, so you keep BB's.

I agree people have some very creative ways of keeping some sort of personal version of statistics, but just keep it as standard as you can.

JohnnyH

Addicted to Softballfans
It doesn't take fantastic plate discipline to draw a walk in SP...a walk is a walk.

You wanna count a fielder's choice as a single, too?

Your pitchers must not be very good. A walk is as good as a single in my book.

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
No it shouldn't count...however a sac fly is still an out and an AB.

OBB% is a better statistic to look at.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Keep the walks and singles separate. You can then figure both BA and OBP. No reason to merge them, because then you can't figure BA if you ever want to.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
sac fly is not an AB. And a BB should be tracked as a walk. On my league team we bat 12 max, but only top 10 OBP play in the playoffs, we dont go by average, because in the playoffs id rather see someon take a walk than swing at the first pitch and fly out.

oryansirishpub

No hope remains
sac fly is not an AB. And a BB should be tracked as a walk. On my league team we bat 12 max, but only top 10 OBP play in the playoffs, we dont go by average, because in the playoffs id rather see someon take a walk than swing at the first pitch and fly out.

Sorry but there should not be any sac flies in slo-pitch softball....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Your man card can be revoked for such non-sense.....

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
the 2nd comment was pretty dumb

Not if you really think about it. The batter-runner does reach first base safely, does he not? If the whole goal is to have artificially inflated batting averages so you can measure ***** with everyone else, you might as well count any time a batter-runner reaches safely as a base hit.

If a walk = a single, how do I calculate my OPS anyway?

jlhawkins9

Addicted to Softballfans
3. Don't keep stats in league cause no one cares.

Not league ball, because no one cares. You look at SeriousSoftball and you can see that teams do it both ways. I just wanted to see what the majority of people on here thought.

jlhawkins9

Addicted to Softballfans
Not if you really think about it. The batter-runner does reach first base safely, does he not? If the whole goal is to have artificially inflated batting averages so you can measure ***** with everyone else, you might as well count any time a batter-runner reaches safely as a base hit.

If a walk = a single, how do I calculate my OPS anyway?

I agree, like I said we do a walk=walk. Im sure some people do that, which is pathetic

JustinSS

McGlovin #6
Tell Barry Bonds that and he would have hit .600 for several years. Walk is a hit give me a ****en break.

JustinSS

McGlovin #6
A walk is a very valuable stat anyway. It's just as important to have a good eye than to get a hit every time.

kornphed

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's my take:

What helps the team more?

In my observation, anytime a batter reaches base, with nobody getting out, this should counted as a hit. This is what helps the team.

Why? Because even the stat *****s will start playing that way and it only helps the team. (If there is a guy that walks ALL the time, you may have a stat ***** that will argue against this.)

If you want to take this a step further, any solo HR should be counted as an out.

Why? This hurts the team more than an out does. If the stat *****s (presumably these are the guys hitting multiple solos) get those counted as hits, then they will continue hitting them. Because it makes them look good. Make everything lead into being about the team, and it's success and you will go further.

Joker

Here's my take:

What helps the team more?

In my observation, anytime a batter reaches base, with nobody getting out, this should counted as a hit. This is what helps the team.

Why? Because even the stat *****s will start playing that way and it only helps the team. (If there is a guy that walks ALL the time, you may have a stat ***** that will argue against this.)

If you want to take this a step further, any solo HR should be counted as an out.

Why? This hurts the team more than an out does. If the stat *****s (presumably these are the guys hitting multiple solos) get those counted as hits, then they will continue hitting them. Because it makes them look good. Make everything lead into being about the team, and it's success and you will go further.

yes lets put a run scoring play as an out in the book. you're a genius

JustinSS

McGlovin #6
There is NO WAY in the world a walk should be counted as a hit. There are complete noobs that go up there and watch pitch after pitch hoping for a damn walk. The only time they'll swing is if they are unfortunate enough to get 2 strikes. Thats just one example but I really don't need any examples a walk is not a hit, period.

kornphed

Addicted to Softballfans
There is NO WAY in the world a walk should be counted as a hit. There are complete noobs that go up there and watch pitch after pitch hoping for a damn walk. The only time they'll swing is if they are unfortunate enough to get 2 strikes. Thats just one example but I really don't need any examples a walk is not a hit, period.

Bro, sounds like you need to play a higher level then.....ijs

Joker

Does a solo HR hurt the team more than an out? Yes, it does. We have lost worlds due to poor use of the HR.....a few times.

then tell your players to stop hitting solo shots. do you really think that if you give them **** after the solo they are going to look at the book and say "well i got a hit there, so its ok"? if you do, you have some ****ing stupid ass people on your team.