Knee Injury

wizkid2016

Was playing second base. Batter hits a hard liner to right field. I go to get the cutoff a few feet in the outfield. I turn around and see he is half way between 1B and 2B. I fake the throw to second and run straight at him.

He changed directions and I attempted the same. I felt my knee twist but adrenaline kept me in the play and I ran him down.

Right after the play I hobbled around and bent down for a minute. I finsihed the inning but then decided to sit the rest of the game. Alot of people have told me I probably torn my ACL.

The reason for my post is to see if anyone has had any similiar issues and what did it turn out to be for you? I have appointments with sports medicine and ortho coming up but this injury has caused me alot of mental pain. I am not asking for medical advice, just hoping that its nothing serious.

Thanks

Last edited:

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Was playing second base. Batter hits a hard liner to right field. I go to get the cutoff a few feet in the outfield. I turn around and see he is half way between 1B and 2B. I fake the throw to second and run straight at him.

He changed directions and I attempted the same. I felt my knee twist but adrenaline kept me in the play and I ran him down.

Right after the play I hobbled around and bent down for a minute. I finsihed the inning but then decided to sit the rest of the game. Alot of people have told me I probably torn my ACL.

The reason for my post is to see if anyone has had any similiar issues and what did it turn out to be for you? I have appointments with sports medicine and ortho coming up but this injury has caused me alot of mental pain. I am not asking for medical advice, just hoping that its nothing serious.

Thanks
next time, run less

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there's not significant bruising you probably didn't tear the acl. There are all kinds of things you could have done.

Don't gain weight during your time off. Lol that's what I did and it sucks. I just had a torn meniscus. How old are you? That's one of the biggest factor.

wizkid2016

im 34 and in the best shape of my life. There is zero bruising and just a small amount of swelling.

Hoping the ortho can tell me tomorrow whats wrong just from the physical exam. This is draining me mentally and I am going to insist he order an MRI.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Could be just a simple sprain/sublexation or a Knee cap tracking issue, Good thing is it didnt blow up like a balloon which is promising

Stretch19

Grow up
a lot of mental pain? are you ****ing serious right now?

for all you know its a strain or sprain or some other bull**** and theres nothing actually wrong with it

you hurt your knee playing slow pitch softball, stfu until you see a doctor...****ing mental pain, smh

Stretch19

Grow up
im 34 and in the best shape of my life. There is zero bruising and just a small amount of swelling.

Hoping the ortho can tell me tomorrow whats wrong just from the physical exam. This is draining me mentally and I am going to insist he order an MRI.

in the best shape of your life physically...mentally youre a complete PAMF and charmin soft

no bruising, minimal swelling and youre drained mentally...***** made

Darren

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks

If your knee still feels pretty stable then it's more likely just a sprain or meniscus tear. If there is significant swelling and instability you have a greater chance for ligament. But I've seen a lot of sprains and meniscus tears cause swelling, and once you get fluid in the knee it can feel unstable even with all ligaments intack. Only way to get definative diagnosis is MRI and they run $1,000 -1,500. If you have a big deductible plan with your insurance you could wait a week or two and see how if feels then. There is no huge advantage for a rush diagnosis.

wizkid2016

Saw two ortho doctors:

1st doc: Yup, you tore your ACL. Handed me information on surgery repair.
2nd doc: Slight tear in meniscus and you will be fine after a few weeks of PT

wizkid2016

Two different doctors from different hospitals. Both performed physical assessments and the 2nd doctor took xrays a few hours ago.

Doc #1 ordered xrays and I am going Monday to review the results with him. He said the MRI will follow that.

Both doctors are very reputable. Just bizarre.

Stretch19

Grow up
haha, reputable?

stfu, they both gave you a diagnosis that would require an MRI to see

doctor 1 ordered xrays, didnt review the results and told you it was a torn ACL? which you cant see in a ****ing xray btw

why does it take multiple days to review xrays? he should have been able to view them like 5 minutes after taking them

2nd doctor cant assess a torn meniscus via an xray either; he can rule out breaks/fractures but cant see **** on a menicus without an MRI

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My .02
You gotta be your own advocate in this situation

I partially ruptured my Achilles playing ball and went to Urgent Care immediately following the game. Got X-rays and splinted and went home on crutches.

I pushed the next morning to insert myself into the head Ortho’s schedule being his surgical day.

We reviewed the imaging and he came away with this radical procedure involving grafts and whatnot. I was like doc before we get ahead of ourselves, can we review the MRI? He looked at me all smug-like as I was ignorant and began to explain to me that I was looking at an “X-Ray” to which I asked again... when can we review the MRI ?

Point being you gotta realize what information they will need to formulate a contextualized decision.

See, I had already placed myself into the MRI queue for that Friday, just wanted to see if he was going to order it or continue to dazzle me with his brilliant soft tissue diagnosis, solely on the film...

Best of luck man

wizkid2016

haha, reputable?

stfu, they both gave you a diagnosis that would require an MRI to see

doctor 1 ordered xrays, didnt review the results and told you it was a torn ACL? which you cant see in a ****ing xray btw

why does it take multiple days to review xrays? he should have been able to view them like 5 minutes after taking them

2nd doctor cant assess a torn meniscus via an xray either; he can rule out breaks/fractures but cant see **** on a menicus without an MRI

They bothed performed the lachman test.

wcoastsoftball

You can still get false positives on physical assessment tests. Non invasive standard would be the MRI, only real way to find out what is going on is to actually go in and see, but who wants to have surgery for no reason?

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Stretch is making more sense than the OP and the doctors. Fact.

Performed the same test and came to different conclusions...See the problem. Get an MRI. Hope it is not serious btw..

CircleL

Starting Player
When i hurt my knee;

X-ray showed nothing wrong
Ultra Sound - torn MCL
MRI - torn Meniscus

MRI is the only way to get to the actual problem.

5 weeks after my MRI i had surgery and 5 weeks after that i played in my first indoor (Toronto - Winter) slopitch tourney!

That is in Canada so i'm sure wait times are less in the USA.

wizkid2016

Update:

Had a follow up with doctor #1 and he performed a test using a device called KT-1000. He said he is 95% certain that the ACL is torn. I asked for him to order me an MRI.

My MRI is scheduled for tomorrow and I also start PT (prehab) tomorrow.

I also asked him for a referral to the best knee surgeon in the area and he granted my request. I meet with the surgeon on Tuesday of next week.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
Update:

Had a follow up with doctor #1 and he performed a test using a device called KT-1000. He said he is 95% certain that the ACL is torn. I asked for him to order me an MRI.

My MRI is scheduled for tomorrow and I also start PT (prehab) tomorrow.

I also asked him for a referral to the best knee surgeon in the area and he granted my request. I meet with the surgeon on Tuesday of next week.

Hope you have a good recovery.
Do the therapy and exercise.
Let it heal up good so you have less a chance for reinjury.

Even the richest players in the world have problems during recovery. D Rose, T Brady all had some sort of lingering issues after their injuries, reinjuries.

Too long didnt read

Let it heal
Do the p.t.
Wish you the best so you can get back out their and hit bombs