latest bp with poptoss. and swing advice.

dunkky

for whatever reason, i am still not convinced of my swing. looking for suggestion. I dont think i am using my leg of hip effectively.

dunkky

that's a million dollar question, probably not same, but pretty close if i get my pitch.

when i look at that video, and look at some guys on youtube, I feel like I am not using my body fully, especially lower part to maximize my swing power. feel like something is missing... when i swing, i feel good, feel like i am using the whole body, but that video tells me something else.. that's why i want to ask for suggestions if you guys seeing some major flaw that's obvious.

r8dr_rider

Extension looks good. IDK I’m the same. I’m solid during BP and sandlot games then league comes around and I pop up like a *****. I honestly think I drink way too much before and during league nights and that effects me big time.

r8dr_rider

Hips before hands and all that BS. I see 300Lbs+ guys swing with arms only and rock it. I say hit the sweet spot of the barrel and let the ball do the rest.

dunkky

that's my biggest problem. selecting good pitch to hit. if i get my pitch, i am confident i will hit it hard... I hate watching a fat ball passing by with 2 balls... then i chase some ****ty pitch. that's why i am trying to hit hard any pitch poptoss thrown at me assuming i have only one strike to go..

that's my biggest problem. selecting good pitch to hit. if i get my pitch, i am confident i will hit it hard... I hate watching a fat ball passing by with 2 balls... then i chase some ****ty pitch. that's why i am trying to hit hard any pitch poptoss thrown at me assuming i have only one strike to go..

I think you shouldn’t hit any and every pitch from pop toss or a batting practice pitcher, I think you are breeding bad habits. Knowing what is and isn’t a strike, as well as knowing where in your “zone” is the place you should concentrate on hitting for practice as well as games. Even the paid players in the major divisions that travel all over to play will take a walk because they know the results when they reach for a bad pitch. Yes, you can concentrate on backside hitting on a pitch that is outside corner or even off the plate. Our Senior team hits a few before a game, standing about even with 1st or 3rd base to get loose? Or get a feel before the game starts? I never hit, I shag balls, sometimes pitch because I can’t really take a full cut because we don’t have enough room. This is not productive for me, I think it also breeds bad habits, 1) hitting just about anything the pitcher throws up to speed up the process, 2) not hitting all out like I would in a game.

There is a lot of truth in the old adage, “you play like you practice”. You have summarized in your first sentence what works for you. You are confident you’ll hit it hard when you get your pitch. You then comment about chasing a bad pitch and know the results will not be your best. Wait on the fat pitch, meat pitch, your pitch that you are referring to whether BP or a game. Only way to truly evaluate your efforts. Hope this is food for thought, may or not work for you or others but worth a try.

dunkky

thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. can't wait to go out and hit again.. but i am having some elbow issue.. now and it's taking too long to heal..

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I think you shouldn’t hit any and every pitch from pop toss or a batting practice pitcher, I think you are breeding bad habits. Knowing what is and isn’t a strike, as well as knowing where in your “zone” is the place you should concentrate on hitting for practice as well as games. Even the paid players in the major divisions that travel all over to play will take a walk because they know the results when they reach for a bad pitch. Yes, you can concentrate on backside hitting on a pitch that is outside corner or even off the plate. Our Senior team hits a few before a game, standing about even with 1st or 3rd base to get loose? Or get a feel before the game starts? I never hit, I shag balls, sometimes pitch because I can’t really take a full cut because we don’t have enough room. This is not productive for me, I think it also breeds bad habits, 1) hitting just about anything the pitcher throws up to speed up the process, 2) not hitting all out like I would in a game.

There is a lot of truth in the old adage, “you play like you practice”. You have summarized in your first sentence what works for you. You are confident you’ll hit it hard when you get your pitch. You then comment about chasing a bad pitch and know the results will not be your best. Wait on the fat pitch, meat pitch, your pitch that you are referring to whether BP or a game. Only way to truly evaluate your efforts. Hope this is food for thought, may or not work for you or others but worth a try.

I agree with all of this. I also use the Pop Toss, but I'm not afraid to let a pitch go if I don't like it. Chasing bad balls in BP does you absolutely no good. You aren't teaching yourself anything except bad habits.

When you BP, look for certain pitches. Don't just go up there willy-nilly taking mindless hacks. Have something in mind.

Redsfan

While I agree with these guys about not swinging at every pitch I don't think you should only swing at cookies down the middle either. You also need to be productive at hitting balls that are just off the plate too. Umps in the leagues I play in all seem to call balls and strikes differently. Some call anything close a strike. Some only call the perfect pitch down the middle a strike. Some don't call the flat or high pitch. Gotta be ready for that in games.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
That elbow issue probably has alot if not everything to do with whats happening with hitting issues.. that and as mentioned above and in another thread if memory serves me, your just way over thinking this thing lol.stop thinking so much about what the count is and swing at the first good pitch u see, even if it's the first pitch thrown at u.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
Just my opinion, but if you really want to analyze a swing, have the camera looking into the belly button from across home plate..then you can see alot more of the swing functions than you can from the back..jmo, and you hit that pop toss good...it wasnt for me, but many seem to get good benefit from it.

dunkky

excellent idea. why didn't i think of that.. lol.. poptoss isn't a replacement for live pitch. nothing will be, even a machine from Dbat. it's just next best alternative that is affordable. i really fixed my mechanic significantly though, something i couldn't archive with tee.. for you, you don't need. you have people to pitch you for bp.. not me, nobody likes me.. lol besides, i rather bp alone with my own phase.

@hitless45 that was taken before my elbow issue. right now i can't even lift a hamburger.. lol

r8dr_rider

excellent idea. why didn't i think of that.. lol.. poptoss isn't a replacement for live pitch. nothing will be, even a machine from Dbat. it's just next best alternative that is affordable. i really fixed my mechanic significantly though, something i couldn't archive with tee.. for you, you don't need. you have people to pitch you for bp.. not me, nobody likes me.. lol besides, i rather bp alone with my own phase.

@hitless45 that was taken before my elbow issue. right now i can't even lift a hamburger.. lol
Lol I usually do live BP weekly but with all the kids playing soccer and softball right now it’s hard to find a field. With the pop toss I can just find a field during the day when my team mates are still working and makes it a lot easier.

I think the pop toss will be great when it’s only two of us. One batting one shagging.

dunkky

that's the whole point of using poptoss.. portable and open field is all u need. in texas, i have no issue finding an open field even at night. I mean i posted multiple of my bp vidoes, day, night, raining, snow,, no stopping.

r8dr_rider

Can’t wait till I get it. A team mate already told me I get two ABs with my new Rebellion, if I don’t knock it out he will. Challenge excepted

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Can’t wait till I get it. A team mate already told me I get two ABs with my new Rebellion, if I don’t knock it out he will. Challenge excepted
You will enjoy it for sure. Even though I had timing issues with mine, I still left the field with a smile on my face. Another thing I noticed was I felt more exhausted afterwards using the pop toss compared to using a tee, after hitting the same amount of balls. Let us know how you make out with it.

dunkky

i won't go back to tee again, cuz it takes me no where to very little. only live pitch can fix ur swing. people will say, hell, mlb, conference guys use tee. yeah. they also get tons of live pitches and tossed balls.. probably 1 to 9 ratio.. just a guess.. i see a flaw from my video, something tie to the whipping point out. My spine when rotating doesnt look right when attacking the low balls... my spine is not straight. a few times they are straight, and i see much better result. With a tee, i will not detect that, because my swing looks good hitting off a tee all the time, and i will kill the balls, 9 out of 10 times. that's not what i want, i need to detect my flaws when hitting live balls, high, low, inside, out side... my swing should be solid no matter what unless i am reaching for it to the extend.

r8dr_rider

^agreed. I only use the tee to break in new bats. I don’t see any use for helping a swing. I get my pop toss on Tuesday! Can’t wait

A buddy had one and told me two things to watch out for. Balls hitting back at the unit and if there is no ball in it it will explode the insides. Any thoughts?