Learning the long ball! Have questions.

r8dr_rider

Wood bat schmood bat. Y’all probably don’t like power steering too.

Kidding. Wood and aluminum/steel bat leagues are cool. But it’s 2019 and there’s nothing wrong with a league that doesn’t check bats. I play BLD and they just limit HRs. Makes guys hit still very competitive games.

Matth

I play fall league on a baseball field. 327-382-325. Pretty much eliminates the miss hit HR from the 140lb guy. Some of the softball fields around here have started moving fences back. My other league is 310 all around.

You will probably see this happen in more places. Just like when golf equipment got better they moved the tee boxes back.
Has anyone hit one over the 382 foot point?

Redsfan

Has anyone hit one over the 382 foot point?

Yes. A guy on my team hit the light post about 20 feet up between the 368 and 382 signs this Wednesday. It was a shot. Ex college baseball player. I've actually hit one off the wall at the 368 marker. I had a 340 ft out this last Wednesday too.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It's terrible because there are plenty of guys that can hit it 300'+. You see them walking the box and Ichiro-slapping oppo, swinging down at a 45, taking half-swings and trying to bloop over the infield... all while holding a Freak30 or a Legit. It's like paying for a Ferrari and then racing it on a dirt track with a speed limit.

The wood bat league is a different story because we use .40 COR balls. If you ever want to be humbled try hitting those with a wood bat. 270' is a shot with that combo.

.40 balls with wood bats is a bad combo. The ball feels like a brick and goes nowhere. .52s and wood is better.

If neither the bat or ball are flexing you aren't going to get much distance.

The one wood bat tourny I know of in CO each year is in Steamboat Springs. Its USSSA and they use C+s. Its actually fairly popular and you see plenty of 300'+ HRs.

Anyone wanting to learn to hit HRs should definitely BP with wood bats and at least become proficient with them. If you can hit with wood, you can hit with anything.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yes. A guy on my team hit the light post about 20 feet up between the 368 and 382 signs this Wednesday. It was a shot. Ex college baseball player. I've actually hit one off the wall at the 368 marker. I had a 340 ft out this last Wednesday too.

I love playing on big fields, especially if you get to hit good balls. I played military worlds in Viera last month. Stadium balls on full sized fields. It wasn't that easy to go yard. You have to play the wind right too.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I love playing on big fields, especially if you get to hit good balls. I played military worlds in Viera last month. Stadium balls on full sized fields. It wasn't that easy to go yard. You have to play the wind right too.

We played masters at Southridge in Kennewick, Wa, about 3 weeks ago. All of our games on baseball fields. I got two out over the 355' right field 15' fence and took one right off the top of the fence at 385' power alley. I was swinging a Dudley Lightning Legend...... So, much fun. Everything that traveled 335' was an inside the park homerun and everything that hit in front of the outfielder was an easy double. I love the big fields too.

Last edited:

Redsfan

The big field has been fun. It's made me go back to my old style of hitting like when we played on open fields many many years ago. It's only going out if you really nut one.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
what I learned from this site for hitting long balls.

1. Just get 27oz above endload bat.
2. make sure you get the right pitch. below chest and belly button
3. Level swing or slight upward. if hit right place, ball will be cut.
4. Have a good arm ext followed by a strong follow through.
5. look up and admire your 301 bomb.

I didnt care before about distance, but when I started to - I then started paying attention to what I was swinging and compared that to the guys that consistently had greater distance. I have never good access to bats until recently.

1. Just get 27oz above endload bat.

So very true and its simple science! Way back when I played in Seattle I would always chat it up with the guy who batted behind me. He had double knee replacement surgery and wore knee braces for games. He could hit opposite field doubles all day long and would cash me in all the time. Anyways, he told me they would often get beat in open tournies where seniors were swinging 30oz bats. I didn't clue in at the time, but that factoid stuck with me. Recently when distance and the exit speed of the ball started to become a little more important - I remembered what he said.

Last year I was also teaching my son tee-ball. He has a very aggressive swing for his age, and the bat speed is amazing. At the time I still didn't understand why some of the swing didnt produce a type of hit I would expect. Soon after I came across a blurb that mentioned 'swing the heaviest bat you can swing' (effectively of course). I said OK and added 1.5oz to his bat weight. BAM! Just like that the ball started to move. I took that bat away from him and had him swing again - I did this to confirm what we just saw. Now that I saw that 1.5oz was a night and day improvement for him, I wanted to understand it more!

I then added 2.0oz to my bat weight (28oz), both balanced and end loaded. Both bats produced the same distance until I fine tuned my swing. My swing didnt agree with the endload right away, and it took a lot of work to get where I wanted to be. I had to adjust and fully commit to an aggressive snap to take full advantage of the endload.

2. make sure you get the right pitch. below chest and belly button
Yes, I am very selective for long balls. There are only 2 pitches I look for. For me it's inside, belly button height and outside slightly higher than my belly button. I quickly learned this from a tee. In game - if they don't go down the line, I know I am out.

3. Level swing or slight upward. if hit right place, ball will be cut.
This is my Achilles heel because my main goal is to get on base. I am so use to driving the ball through the infield on the ground, and because of that I naturally swing ever so slightly downwards. My thought process (and please correct me if I am way off base) line drives are ALWAYS fieldable in my eyes. I see it as an easy 1 part play, where almost anyone can put their glove on a ball. Where if I drive a ground ball, its a 2 part plays (field the ball and then try to throw me out). I do have a level swing, but I only use it specifically for down 3rd baseline or over the SS. I am still learning and adjusting to a slightly upward swing.

4. Have a good arm ext followed by a strong follow through.
My baseball style swing proved to be an obstacle here. My swing was small, short and compact. Close to the body swing, barrel up the ball and poke it to certain parts of the field. After impact, I was off and running - so I had virtually no follow through. I had to really practice arm extension this because of my natural tendencies. I would practice with TCB (total control baseballs) to see how well I follow through - they work for me. Now I have 2 types of swings: base hit swing which is short and compact and a distance swing which is good arm extension and follow through.

5. look up and admire your 301 bomb.
I have only had a hand full of these and hope to have more.

Matth

368 is definitely a bomb. I play at a field with 355 left, 360 center, 305 right. Homers are hit to center and left, but not often.

Last edited:

lakeyale13

Manager
the world needs more singles lead off guys and table setters. It does not need more guys who think they can hit a softball 305 at will, but cant.

The "at will" is the key phrase. I can hit the ball 330-370 but have no ability to do it at will. I just swing the bat and it could be a hard line drive, ground ball or bomb. It takes a special person to just hit bombs at will.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
.40 balls with wood bats is a bad combo. The ball feels like a brick and goes nowhere. .52s and wood is better.

If neither the bat or ball are flexing you aren't going to get much distance.

yeah you want a 52 cor ball with wood

I agree 100%, but remember; our fields are 250'-270'. We're purposely using the crappy performance of the .40's to limit distance. .52's and wood would still be a bombfest.

I have no complaints about the lack of distance with the balls we use but they're bat-killers. Pool-cue one or hit one off the taper and your new bat is kindling.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
7306CAFA-930E-4405-8EBC-23E66C1F5B29.jpeg
7306CAFA-930E-4405-8EBC-23E66C1F5B29.jpeg

I moved away from a team bat, which usually was a 26oz - 28oz 1 piece balanced bat.

I finally decided on a bat: Miken Freak 30 (27oz/12 inch barrel/2016 model).

Previous owner showed me exactly where the sweet spot was and how to find it on other bats. Coming from a 1 piece and spray hitting the field, I didn't realize the ignorance I had for the sweet spot. Now its the first thing I locate before I swing a new bat.

I prematurely took this bat to a game, and I felt I swung it like trash. Timing was way too off. I swapped bats my 2nd AB.

I took casual BP that same weekend (off a tee) to get somewhat adjusted to the new weight and barrel size. The bat is a huge improvement and there is much more significant pop when comparing the other bats I was swinging. It is like night and day for me - and I will NEVER go back to a balanced bat. During BP my goal was to casually hit 200-225ft liners to all fields.

I noticed this bat had more bite on the ball and it was able to nice back spin on the ball to create lift - new technique to me. On a casual swing off the tee, I was able to hit the fence with enough back spin and lift. Knowing this, I knew if I hit a liner in the gap - I would get that gap fence I never had before.

Fast forward to last night. We had our season ending double header last night, and we were set to face 2 of the top pitchers in the league. I knew there wouldn't be any gimme pitches and I would be able to test my swing to all parts of the field. I drew the clean up spot for both games and I knew I was going to have base runners with speed.

Going oppo I feel my shots to the right side are still a bit lazy, but I know I just need to work on my timing. The previous game I was swinging a 28oz balanced, and my timing for oppo was perfect. The 1oz drop in weight has thrown me off when going oppo. On the 27oz my timing still needs adjustments as I am way way too out in front. I wish I had more time before the season ended to get in more in game chances to go deeper oppo. I wasn't given anything I could get a hold of, but I did send my 1st ever deep sac fly that put us back in the lead in the top of the last inning.

I usually setup my 2nd AB for inside pitches by going oppo my 1st AB. My 2nd AB had 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Walking to the plate I knew I wanted to clear the bases. He gave me an inside pitch I timed and barreled up. I sent a 275 rope to the fence and cleared the bases - stand up triple (1st ever).

A couple take aways that I have learned during this process. If I absolutely swing for the fences, it is so much different than my normal swing that the results are garbage. If I keep to line drive swings I will hit a couple out. For me creating an upward swing is not the norm and is totally against the grain.

Take BP! Know and understand the dynamics of your bat. Understand where the sweet spot is.

Do yourself a favor and swing an end-load. I did myself a dis-service by not discovering an end-load sooner. In the beginning I saw no difference in distance. I was frustrated but understood the technology so I continued to work at it. Slowly the end-load proved itself to be the difference maker and started to create more distance. I decided to move into a newer bat and I narrowed it down to 3 bats (DC41, Freak and Steel). I found one of those on the list available used and locally. It wasn't magic but in a short couple of months I was able to smack a few.

Homers still won't be the norm for me, but now I have gained the respect of the other team and they play me near the track. I have opened up the field for myself now.

... too bad the season is over!

I apologize in advance for incomplete sentences or typos.

dunkky

yeap. same for me. they no longer play me shallow and rob my line drives. send it deep, then, they can't cheat anymore.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
I apologize for bringing this back from the dead in advance, but I wanted to give thanks.

Hit a 325ft (left center) long ball today. Knew it as soon as it left the bat (Kirby 12inch). I also hit a triple down the line. I think I have learned to swing this bat much better and can hit the fence almost on command (with the right pitch).

I’ve gained about 75ft by changing to a different bat and learning how to swing an end load. It’s not for everyone - believe me. I was swinging late for a very very long time. I was starting to put it together late last year.

Thanks everyone for helping me out in this thread. I went from a singles/doubles player to a triple player and they have to shade the warning track now. This opens up the field for me big time! I appreciate it.

dunkky

why apologize??? no needed. congrat bro. 1st one is hardest. Once shortyellowbus told me, more to come. That is a true statement. This doesn't make you a HR hitter, but at least OF will not rob your line drives anymore, because you will burn their ass.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
why apologize??? no needed. congrat bro. 1st one is hardest. Once shortyellowbus told me, more to come. That is a true statement. This doesn't make you a HR hitter, but at least OF will not rob your line drives anymore, because you will burn their ass.

Let me be a sudo home run hitter! HA!

Thank you. I would cringe when they would play me short and put a shift on. With a decent pitcher I was always forced just to shoot it through the left side and keep it to singles. Now I have more options.

Right center shot is still lazy and I’m working on that.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
3run jack tonight

grand slam last week

3 weeks and 3 jacks. This has getting to be fun! I’m slightly ahead with my timing, but if it’s right it’s gone! I almost hit 2 out today. I got under the ball, but I sent it right to the top of the fence - for an out.

I think I have finally found the sweet spot of my bat and can put it there every time I swing now.

It’s fun showing my singles with speed to all fields, and then next at bat hit the fence.

Thanks again everyone!

dunkky

congrat bro. I know that feeling. but don't caught up on that too much, you will be in a slump. Like many guys pointed out, if you are not a natural power hitter, but tries go yard everytime, you will have plenty of 280-90ish popups. That is a true statement.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
congrat bro. I know that feeling. but don't caught up on that too much, you will be in a slump. Like many guys pointed out, if you are not a natural power hitter, but tries go yard everytime, you will have plenty of 280-90ish popups. That is a true statement.

Thank you! I appreciate the tips.

I kid you not, I am not swinging for the fences - they just go now. I have just found a way to just to drive the ball. Something I never had until now.

The shot tonight was an adjustment on my timing. I moved up in the box, as I was ahead on a couple of swings in previous ABs. I sent a line drive shot in the gap over the wall. Something I try to focus on during tee work. Kinda paying off for me now.

Its weird - depending on how much I feel the ball during a swing tells me how fast or how little I should run. Every swing where I don't feel the ball - I know its going deep and so I come screaming out of the box.

I am still working on my oppo field distance and power.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
A level swing will provide all the pop you need. You just have to hit the ball with backspin and drive it. Don't try to swing up at the ball.

blakcherry329

I hit a Clincher 280' with my Blue Line on Monday, in my over 40 league. That's the farthest I've hit one in a long time. lol. Got a double.:rolleyes::mad::D

jhitman

A level swing will provide all the pop you need. You just have to hit the ball with backspin and drive it. Don't try to swing up at the ball.

I agree with this and have tried everything over the years. This is the only thing that has worked consistently for me. Keep the bat head above the knob is a little cue that I go by to make sure I am getting that level to slightly tomahawk over snapping type swing.

T Dot

Extra Hitter

I agree with this and have tried everything over the years. This is the only thing that has worked consistently for me. Keep the bat head above the knob is a little cue that I go by to make sure I am getting that level to slightly tomahawk over snapping type swing.

Yes sir!

My swing is as level as you can get. LOL I dont even know how to hit a sac fly in the game. I mean I know how to do it, I just cant get my body to in a game. My probably is when my timing is off I am really in front of the ball. When that happens I roll under the ball and hit a stupid infield fly.

Now that I have incorporated an aggressive stride with snap, those miss hits are towering fly balls - any slight winds will make it tough to field. LOL I just have to get use to running it out.

High pitches are the death of me, so I cant really tomahawk with placing the ball. I usually drive those balls into the ground and then challenge the 3B/SS throw.

Snapping or oversnapping is still new to me. I discovered this last year while retooling or actually learning how to softball swing. All my BOMBS have been long deep line drives.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Lol.........."My swing is as level as you can get................" Level compared to what? The ground?..... Angle of the ball path?? Level to what?