Learning to go oppo - HELP PLS!

T Dot

Extra Hitter
It’s easy to go deep now on the right pitch. So now I would like to learn to go oppo with power.

I can go oppo on the ground, but most of the time it’s near or around the 2nd basemen. I shy away from that if I feel I would ground out.

All my oppo hits are singles and never any doubles. For the life of me I cannot hit a line drive oppo during a game, nor do I have power in that direction.

Any tips or YouTube videos would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Hagen49

A few variables here. Where do you stand in the box? I stand pretty much with my heels on the line of the box, so I have enough room to extend my arms no matter where the pitch comes in. From there, I can step towards 1B if there is a pitch well outside, and send it that way.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
A few variables here. Where do you stand in the box? I stand pretty much with my heels on the line of the box, so I have enough room to extend my arms no matter where the pitch comes in. From there, I can step towards 1B if there is a pitch well outside, and send it that way.

I had a feeling this would come to play.

When I was primarily a singles/doubles (rare) hitting, I would be up in the box and crowd the plate. I bat righty and my left foot would be at the bottom corner flat. I would own the inside part of the plate if they threw it there, and would go oppo every chance I get (all singles). My ste forward would be right around the top of the plate.

Now that I have more power compared to before and that my step is much more aggressive (more legs and not just arms) I am back in the box. My left foot is maybe about 6-10 inches below the bottom of the plate. The bat extended just reaches the bottom corner of the plate nearest me. I still own the inside part, but I now have to slightly step towards an outside pitch. My step forward reaches the middle of the plate, if not slightly higher.

Before all of this I would have this side step (back foot forward and behind me) first move, and then step oppo and basically push the ball.

Now I just step towards it, but lack the in game power or line drives. I can do it off the tee, but it’s not natural or easy yet.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Hitting oppo really isn't as hard as people think. Seriously, once you mentally visualize the proper mechanics you'll be able to step out there and do it physically.

If you want to hit oppo you need to do 2 things. Back off the plate a little, and let the ball get deep. Hit pitches that are middle-away. Don't try to force inside pitches oppo.

Hitting oppo is very much timing oriented. Swing too early and you hit the pitcher. Swing too late and you foul the ball over the 1st base dugout.

I'd recommend a long (live) BP session to work on hitting oppo. ABSOLUTELY make sure your pitcher has a net though. When learning oppo the pitcher is often in grave peril. Its all about timing and letting the ball get deep.

Once you get the mechanics down you'll find you have almost as much power oppo as you do pull. Balls will soar to RC seemingly with little effort.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
Hitting oppo really isn't as hard as people think. Seriously, once you mentally visualize the proper mechanics you'll be able to step out there and do it physically.

If you want to hit oppo you need to do 2 things. Back off the plate a little, and let the ball get deep. Hit pitches that are middle-away. Don't try to force inside pitches oppo.

Hitting oppo is very much timing oriented. Swing too early and you hit the pitcher. Swing too late and you foul the ball over the 1st base dugout.

I'd recommend a long (live) BP session to work on hitting oppo. ABSOLUTELY make sure your pitcher has a net though. When learning oppo the pitcher is often in grave peril. Its all about timing and letting the ball get deep.

Once you get the mechanics down you'll find you have almost as much power oppo as you do pull. Balls will soar to RC seemingly with little effort.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I can visualize things much better the way you described it. I previously thought only outside pitches could be driven oppo. However, my last pitch that went off the wall was right down the middle.

Are you saying a middle pitch hit early can be pulled, and a middle pitch hit late could be driven oppo?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Thank you. This is very helpful. I can visualize things much better the way you described it. I previously thought only outside pitches could be driven oppo. However, my last pitch that went off the wall was right down the middle.

Are you saying a middle pitch hit early can be pulled, and a middle pitch hit late could be driven oppo?

Yep. You just have to decide what you want to do with it. Plan ahead. Middle pitches are good because you can hit them anywhere on the field.

Backing off the plate a little is probably the simplest way to go oppo. Try to have a plan what you want to do when you go to plate, and position yourself in the batter's box accordingly.

T Dot

Extra Hitter

Yep. You just have to decide what you want to do with it. Plan ahead. Middle pitches are good because you can hit them anywhere on the field.

Backing off the plate a little is probably the simplest way to go oppo. Try to have a plan what you want to do when you go to plate, and position yourself in the batter's box accordingly.

Thank you! The way you described things helped me visualize things much much better. I understand things with a lot of depth now.

I have always thought only side pitches were suppose to go oppo. I would sometimes force inside pitches oppo with the 2step move. I am going to try to hit all middle and away pitches the other way tonight. Hopefully I will fare well.

T Dot

Extra Hitter

Thanks for the tips.

I was able to drive 2 middle pitches through the right side with pop. No lift yet, but it had pop. I was able to see that middle pitch and drive it well past 2B.

My mechanics for lift on that side is not there yet. I have to BP and get a better feel for it. I have to work on this some more.

T Dot

Extra Hitter

@2:55. I use the tee to practice the oppo.

Thanks for the video. I have been trying to soak it in.

7 for 10 today. My first oppo AB I did a 2step and sent it to the track. No power, just height to it.

After that I settled in and just let the ball travel deep. All hits were oppo except one. 2 went to the fence and I sent one near 1B.

I am starting to get a better feel for the bat, as well as the timing I need with this bat.

I think I need to get away from the 2 step, as it just makes me hit way out in front. I get too excited and step way too early.

I dropped a couple right on the SS of the barrel and just felt it go.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
the best thing i can say and it sounds easy is just give it a second. let it get to you. I hit oppo 75% of the time. I typically plan to hit oppo unless there are hr' left and i have at least 2 on (will pass on this if the batters behind me have power, i'm typically a singles hitter so this is usually where i'm at) i stay back on the line i can push everything over the plate and outside to the right with ease. I also like the ball about belly high or higher so i move up in the box. If i get too fast, its usually right to the 2b or sometimes luckily over his head.