Learning to Pitch

adamp961

Starting Player
I have never pitched before and our team always struggles with the one pitcher we have. I would love to learn to pitch, but i have no idea if there are certain techniques that are preferable? anyone have any thoughts to get me going and maybe keep me from learning some bad habits up front? any youtube videos that may have helped you?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Joe Daddy

Smash and Grab
Step 1. Throw strikes at least 90% of the time.
Step 2. Move those strikes around the plate/mat/zone/inside/outside
Step 3. Change the speed and height of those strikes

Once those three steps are done effectively, then you can play around with adding junk pitches.

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
Learn to throw acroos the plate the majority of the time, work the plate, and depending on the wind mess with spinning it different directions.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Step 1. Throw strikes at least 90% of the time.
Step 2. Move those strikes around the plate/mat/zone/inside/outside
Step 3. Change the speed and height of those strikes

Once those three steps are done effectively, then you can play around with adding junk pitches.

This is better than 90% of the guys who pitch in league. So many guys trying to throw curves and knuckleballs walking the house. Throw strikes and move the ball around while not walking people is far better.

Get some safety gear, I wont pitch without my mask and cup. Make sure you get set to field, far to many guy try to get as far back as possible but don't actually get set.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
Hit the leagues Max arc limit
Throw strikes
field well

Practice by pitching BP to anyone who is willing to hit. But treat it like a game. Keep a count. I used to pitch, well too. For away from it and it would take a while to get back to it. Lots of practice, not just meat tossing.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you never walk anyone, you're throwing too much meat. There are no two ways about it. Don't listen to anyone that says differently.

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
I find a meat pitch that i go back to if i ever am struggling to hit the plate/mat, First pitch is never a meatball unless im trying to surprise a 4 hitter :). Pitching inside/outside is less effective then short and deep, and learning to cross the plate and pitching to the strongside of your D.

Besides the pitch itself varying your arm speed and actual release tendencies while pitching also has an effect on the batters timing if they arent experienced.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
1. Get a milk crate and throw softballs into it from 50' away.

2. Get a mask and keep your glove up.

3. Don't pitch flat, low and outside.

3 should probably be 1.

After you get some experience you will notice things like:

1.A batters position in the box will generally give away his intentions.
2. Some batters swing at the first pitch no matter what, others never do. Adjust accordingly.
3. Once in a while a ball comes back at you unexpectedly. Almost never assume you are out of danger.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans

3 should probably be 1.

2. Some batters swing at the first pitch no matter what, others never do. Adjust accordingly.
3. Once in a while a ball comes back at you unexpectedly. Almost never assume you are out of danger.

Very solid advice here.

jefferson

Addicted to Softballfans
This is better than 90% of the guys who pitch in league. So many guys trying to throw curves and knuckleballs walking the house. Throw strikes and move the ball around while not walking people is far better.

Get some safety gear, I wont pitch without my mask and cup. Make sure you get set to field, far to many guy try to get as far back as possible but don't actually get set.

He is right here on so many levels. I started pitching about 6 years ago, and I did the following. This was taught to me by one of the best ASA pitchers I've ever played with.

Place a trash can about 25 feet away from you and pitch into it. Once you get over 95% of your tosses into it, move the can back 10 feet and repeat until its around 50 feet away. Then offer to pitch as much BP as possible to get the feeling of live pitch and hit. Once you feel confident enough, ask for a shot on the mound.

Then follow what I quoted above.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
All good advice. I'm fairly new to pitching but I have noticed one thing that helps me throw consistently. Stay Loose. Even when things aren't going your way on the mound, don't stiffen up and try too hard.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
I learned from pitching a lot of BP with a few people I know. Learn to throw consistent strikes and fielding your position are the most important things.

Dexb0t

Entertainer

3 should probably be 1.

I'd follow this...

adamp961

Starting Player
Thanks everyone for the tips. I set up some creates tonight and threw four about an hour. This is going to take some time but it will come.

Thanks again!!

hitsone

Thanks everyone for the tips. I set up some creates tonight and threw four about an hour. This is going to take some time but it will come.

Thanks again!!
Good for you, just keep at it.
This is why a lot of guys don't make it as a pitcher, they are not willing to spend the extra time to practice, practice practice.

My coach doesn't want me to throw anything but a BP type pitch. He wants to see predictable hits, not dribbles, texas leagues, seeing eye singles off "fancy pitches" Throw strikes.

RobinMichaels

Addicted to Softballfans

3 should probably be 1.

Some really good stuff on this. Make sure you also get your protective gear on while you are out there. Practice with it on so you can get used to it. As a pitcher you will get an occasional shot back. It happens. Othwerwise, have fun with it.

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Play catcher and observe someone else. Make mental notes to what they did well and also what they did that you could improve upon.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans

3 should probably be 1.

Great advice..... believe that you CAN pitch - once you do it for awhile and can control the pitches against the batters stance you are in good shape...take it as really competitive but not too serious (I think pitchers hold the record for basket cases/psyho's out there). Don't get inside your own head too much....vary tempo and heights within the limits of your pitchers box and be crafty - if you have a box to work with take a step bask as the return throw comes - throw the same meat pitch/arc you just did but from 4' further back it doesn't quite get to the plate and gets the batter on the front foot (you win).....stretch the umps height limit - some are generous - some have absolutely no clue - work within that.....don't run your mouth unless you want a softball in it......ALWAYS take a defensive stance with glove up after the pitch - don't be so concerned with location that you leave yourself open to a missle.....practice - it's the most underated but important position out there......oh yeah - and keep a f**k you attitude in your head at all times......

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
Get used to hearing these things from teammates and opponents

Just throw a strike
good pitch
there it is
hes throwing more balls than a gay orgy
thats 3 walks in a row
3-1 count, red light here
middles open
kitchens open
this guy cat throw a strike
i ****ed pitchers gf/wife/sister/mother
Throw strikes we got your back (followed by an error)

stickin2j

Good clean family fun

Just throw a strike
good pitch
there it is
thats 3 walks in a row
middles open
kitchens open

The last one is oh so sadly true, and seems like every time. If not an error, then over the OF's head, middle of a gap, etc.

Don't forget, "I wish we could get a good pitcher." When you hear that, turn around and offer them the ball.

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans

Just throw a strike
good pitch
there it is
thats 3 walks in a row
middles open
kitchens open

as a pitcher, this one always pisses me off...

Hal413

The Veteran
On the field, don't show frustration if the other team is rallying d/t D struggling. Most players are their own biggest critic and are beating themselves up for it already. Try to pick em up when you get back to the dugout, it'll also let you gauge if they're gonna be able to contribute the rest of the game. Anger is a better sign from him than just mentally quitting.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
Here is a shameless plug of my Youtube vid, how to field middle, then throw the ball away.

I forget how to embed so...yeah

Last edited by a moderator: