Lost and Found?!

dubblrest1985

Starting Player
S.O.B.!!!

A bat that a facebook member purchased from me, but came out of the packaging during shipping and was ultimately lost, just popped up on eBay!!

I have pictures of the bat before I sold it, it has the same exact scratch on the "D" the same ball mark on the DEMARINI side of the bat, and the same grip, theres no question it was mine.

It was sold to a guy in California, now for sale in Utah!!

Anyone else have this happen?

A claim was filed via USPS, I refunded the guy his money. The one bat I didn't take additional insurance on was this one! I "only" lost a little over $40 in the deal.

Air82

Addicted to Softballfans
S.O.B.!!!

A bat that a facebook member purchased from me, but came out of the packaging during shipping and was ultimately lost, just popped up on eBay!!

I have pictures of the bat before I sold it, it has the same exact scratch on the "D" the same ball mark on the DEMARINI side of the bat, and the same grip, theres no question it was mine.

It was sold to a guy in California, now for sale in Utah!!

Anyone else have this happen?

A claim was filed via USPS, I refunded the guy his money. The one bat I didn't take additional insurance on was this one! I "only" lost a little over $40 in the deal.

do you have your pics and the person selling it? comparing.

dubblrest1985

Starting Player
12065545_10153260839701270_3134874694267125110_n.jpg

12191478_10153260840301270_3773559287308006435_n.jpg

dubblrest1985

Starting Player
i cant post the link to fleabay due to forum rules. just go there and search Demarini otc. its the one for $89 starting bid.

deepsearufio

So totally yours. I just sent a message to the guy asking, how many hits, did you buy this bat and do you have a receipt for return purposes, just trying to see what response i get back.

i even noticed the wear in the red grip tape is the same.

TRaj2327

We've already been through all this on Facebook and I'm betting the OP is Rich or you sold it to Rich.

Anyway, to fill in the gaps, the box was delivered with no bat inside and thus more than likely lost within a USPS facility. The eBay user acquired it from someone in a trade who more than likely acquired it in a USPS auction. Probabaly nothing that can be done or even spend the time getting this sorted out for $100 bat. Really not worth the time or energy.

dubblrest1985

Starting Player
Yes, the way things seem to have turned out was the bat was lost in transit. Buyer received an empty tube with 1 end on it. I've already contacted the guy who currently has it asking him to sell it to the guy I originally sold it to, for the original asking price of 75 shipped. No response after that...

The unsolved mystery here (which is a moot point) is why is USPS' lost item recovery system so piss poor.

TRaj2327

Yes, the way things seem to have turned out was the bat was lost in transit. Buyer received an empty tube with 1 end on it. I've already contacted the guy who currently has it asking him to sell it to the guy I originally sold it to, for the original asking price of 75 shipped. No response after that...

The unsolved mystery here (which is a moot point) is why is USPS' lost item recovery system so piss poor.

Because we just hand a box to the PO and say, "ship this." I guess when a claim is submitted it should get figured out because you say that it is a bat and describe it, but the time and labor it takes to play the matching game may not be worth it when it's easier to just pay out the insurance (if purchased) and then sell the items off at auction. Who knows?

As an added measure, what we should all be doing is using the create-a-label function at home and tape a copy of the tracking number to the handle of the bat. That would make it MUCH MUCH easier.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
That's a great idea about the tracking number on the handle, if I ever sell a bat again I'll do that. Done over a couple hundred bat deals between here, the Z, the bay, and FB. Only ever had one bat lost in transit to me, shipper took care of every thing though. I tape the hell out of my boxes. I have had several issues with bats from eBay with things missing from the description and been able to get corrected through ebay.

TRaj2327

That's a great idea about the tracking number on the handle, if I ever sell a bat again I'll do that. Done over a couple hundred bat deals between here, the Z, the bay, and FB. Only ever had one bat lost in transit to me, shipper took care of every thing though. I tape the hell out of my boxes. I have had several issues with bats from eBay with things missing from the description and been able to get corrected through ebay.

Pretty much the same story. I'd estimate I'm around 100 deals and I've had issues with bats coming to me but never anything that I've shipped. I'd say I've used a triangle box 95% of the time and haven't had anyone say anything about the condition of the bat or box so I just assume all has been well. As you all may already know, you save $1-2 by doing your own label and you get maybe that little extra piece of mind putting a tracking number on the bat. I've never done it but it just came to me with this circumstance. Might as well throw the address of both the sender and recipient on it as well. Better safe than sorry.

Had one show up at the post office near my work where I pick it up. Tracking said it made it there and it mysteriously disappeared. Luckily it was insured.

Had another that some blunt object fell on the box and it put a gouge in the NIW bat I had just bought. Again, insurance took care of it.

Last abnormality was a corn dog I bought off Wheeler and the box was left right under my downspout and the entire box literally melted away like it was a slice of bread digesting in my belly. It was quite humorous actually but all was well.

Point being, try to guard yourself against everything you possibly can.

Last edited:

DDI22

Addicted to Softballfans
We've already been through all this on Facebook and I'm betting the OP is Rich or you sold it to Rich.

Anyway, to fill in the gaps, the box was delivered with no bat inside and thus more than likely lost within a USPS facility. The eBay user acquired it from someone in a trade who more than likely acquired it in a USPS auction. Probabaly nothing that can be done or even spend the time getting this sorted out for $100 bat. Really not worth the time or energy.

What is this USPS auction? USPS lost my NOW demarini VX2 (skull paint job) 4 months ago. Filled out my mail recovery center form and filed a claim, yet I have not received my bat or my refund from them.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the real point here is don't use tubes!!! I've read so many stories over the years of people mailing bats in tubes and an end pops off. I don't know if it's the same with USPS, but Canada Post actually charges like $3 more if you ship a tube vs a box.

TRaj2327

What is this USPS auction? USPS lost my NOW demarini VX2 (skull paint job) 4 months ago. Filled out my mail recovery center form and filed a claim, yet I have not received my bat or my refund from them.

You should follow up on that. It only took me 2-3 weeks max to get my checks the 2 times I had to make a claim.

Apparently auctions are no longer done on-site in Atlanta. Now they do them all online.
https://about.usps.com/doing-business/auctions/welcome.htm

TRaj2327

You bet. They have to do something with all those items. Throwing them away seems silly when they can auction them off. I'd imagine that once the claim is paid (or not paid in the event there is no insurance), that becomes USPS property so they might as well get something for it.

deepsearufio

Message from the seller.

i questioned him about the bat, gave no details on the bat " he didn't know anything about the condition or hits" Then i told him that this was a lost/stolen bat from the USPS. this is his response.

"Dear rufio46,

That is quite an accusation. I have receipt of ownership of this bat.. You can see the bar code on the bat.
The End.

- prschul"

i told him buying stolen stuff is still illegal.

TRaj2327

That was a pretty bold accusation considering how USPS operates and the fact that there is a sticker on the bat. Someone (him or someone else) could have bought it at auction like I mentioned. It's really not a stretch to paint that picture. USPS auctions lost goods all the time.

deepsearufio

i worked for the usps. Lost mail center doesn't operate that fast. They give time to find the item. usually the items that are lost are insured for more than they are worth. They would rather find than cough up. Usually items paid for immediately those items might get sold off like you said, but they are always awaiting tips on items like this, if it were considered lost or stolen. Who knows, it was worth to reach out for a board bro.