Lower back tweak

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
As anyone with lower back issues knows these can spring up at any time, but I actually know what caused my last one and exactly where it hurts, so I wanted to ask your opinion.

My pain is just left of my spine, and the way I can really feel it is if I do hip hikes. When I stand on my left foot on a step and raise and lower my right hip, that's what causes the pain. Infielder missed a throw and I had to unexpectedly bend down and to the side to get it and I felt it, but it didn't get worse until yesterday when I was warming up to lift. Obviously I stopped lifting immediately.

Is this something I need to do stuff like bird dogs for, and over forty should I just prepare to have to do these forever if I want this to stop happening? What exercises or whatever do y'all recommend to combat this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

chile

Bad Ape
I would see a doctor first...I don't know the full issue with mine but the gist is my L5 is about done...and the L3-4 are heading that way :/

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it was more than just a tweak I would. I'm back in a desk job and had a bulging disc probably thirteen years ago. I definitely hope it's not that again.

EOD123

If it was more than just a tweak I would. I'm back in a desk job and had a bulging disc probably thirteen years ago. I definitely hope it's not that again.

I have the same problem at 33 years old. Mixture of 10 years in Army plus softball. Bulging discs lead to osteoarthritis in the area of the spine that was affected. When I left the Army a year ago they were able to see arthritic conditions in my back and left hip. So you could either have another disc problem, or arthritis is effecting the old injury. IMO

All you can do minus surgery is stretch well and take advil. I throw in a lot of back strengthening exercises in the gym, but a weekend of softball is going to make it hurt regardless.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always forget the Advil, but I have really bad arthritis in my knees. I never thought about it effecting old injuries. Great. I'm sure arthritis is all up in there.

EdgenMar

Addicted to Softballfans
Stretch hamstrings in the morning and before bed.. cut all the carbs and dairy out.. advil.. CBD it

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
Been dealing with back trouble for years. The best advice I can give 1. Keep Aleve handy 2. If you feel a tweak be sure to ice and aleve 3. You absolutely have to stretch your legs, if your legs get tight it will wreck havoc on your lower back. (Something I learned the hard way). If you can afford it hit the chiropractor once a month.

Joe R

Been dealing with back trouble for years. The best advice I can give 1. Keep Aleve handy 2. If you feel a tweak be sure to ice and aleve 3. You absolutely have to stretch your legs, if your legs get tight it will wreck havoc on your lower back. (Something I learned the hard way). If you can afford it hit the chiropractor once a month.
I got a $30 handheld massager for my legs and lower back. Helped me a ton

defos

I have a years-long ongoing issue with my right sacroiliac joint - just to the right of my lower spine. I've also had a problem the last 6 weeks or so with my hamstrings being so tight I can barely run. Last week was especially bad. A week ago I ran across an article about the benefits of lying on your back with your feet high up the wall for 5 minutes. The article says besides stretching your legs, it also relaxes all the tension in your lower back which is what really caught my attention.

I first tried it Wednesday evening and could feel a positive difference right away. I could definitely feel my lower back begin to relax in just seconds. Like any other new exercise, you'll feel it for awhile afterward, especially if you're as tight as my hamstrings were. Did it again Thursday, Friday, twice on Saturday, and once before my first game Sunday. My hamstrings felt good and were loose enough to allow me to run Sunday. Unfortunately, the ankle I dislocated about a month ago reared its very painful head again and all I could do was jog to first base.

The women in the photo for the article had their butts and legs flat against the wall. I can't do that, but no matter. Do the best you can. About 6" from the wall was as close as I got, but my legs were straight even if not flat against the wall. Getting flat against the wall will stretch the upper part of your hamstrings better than being out a few inches like I was. I will definitely continue doing this.

dunno

old thread ,but what helped me is stretching and yoga like downward dog and child's pose, in combination with an inversion table found on craigslist

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a years-long ongoing issue with my right sacroiliac joint - just to the right of my lower spine. I've also had a problem the last 6 weeks or so with my hamstrings being so tight I can barely run. Last week was especially bad. A week ago I ran across an article about the benefits of lying on your back with your feet high up the wall for 5 minutes. The article says besides stretching your legs, it also relaxes all the tension in your lower back which is what really caught my attention.

I first tried it Wednesday evening and could feel a positive difference right away. I could definitely feel my lower back begin to relax in just seconds. Like any other new exercise, you'll feel it for awhile afterward, especially if you're as tight as my hamstrings were. Did it again Thursday, Friday, twice on Saturday, and once before my first game Sunday. My hamstrings felt good and were loose enough to allow me to run Sunday. Unfortunately, the ankle I dislocated about a month ago reared its very painful head again and all I could do was jog to first base.

The women in the photo for the article had their butts and legs flat against the wall. I can't do that, but no matter. Do the best you can. About 6" from the wall was as close as I got, but my legs were straight even if not flat against the wall. Getting flat against the wall will stretch the upper part of your hamstrings better than being out a few inches like I was. I will definitely continue doing this.
I get my butt up against the wall by doing this near a doorway. With your legs through the door and lying on your side, you can get your butt right against the wall and then roll over into you're back with your legs up the wall.

defos

I hadn't thought of that. I put my feet up on the closet door, which is a foot from the bedroom doorway.

jacobstain

I am also facing lower back pain and plantar fascistic issues but these i am just taking rest and icing heels to recover from these issues, to starting playing soon.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
I had disc surgery 12 years ago and just came back this year, the surgery didn’t cause the time away. I do a lot of stretches for the lumbar area and work on strengthening my core. So far everything on my body aches except my lower back. Next week is my first Senior tournament, hopefully I won’t have to play like I’m 25 there.
It’s best to find out if it’s a nerve/disc issue or just muscular one.