Lowest compression bat you've seen.....

nam2212

Dr. Nick
I saw a dude swinging a Flex in a coed work league almost 15 years ago. He was on the other work team. Told him I would give him $100 for it and he sold it to me. I think I sold it for $350 or so the next week.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
the extendeds were 199 the flexs were 299. once i saw an extended sell for 350 on ebay, i ran to ****s and bought 3 of them and I think I sold them for 1100bucks in total. so made $500. my buddy ran and bought one before me and he used it for years. He still has it but hasn't played in like 5 years.

I also picked up 3 of the yellow, black and grey easton flex/synergy fast pitch bats off craigslist for 100 total. 2 of them had that crazy flex handle click. I sold each of them on ebay for $300. what a stupid time.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That happened almost every year with the Eastons. Either people were too lazy to break them in, or it took one year for them to realize they played longer once shaved or whatever it was. Cnt+ guy down to$99.99 at a few places, then up above the hundred till the nr reissue came out. Oh the ridiculous fluctuating Easton market.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
We had the 2012 USSSA Eastons showing up in stores here in Canada before any of our sanctions actually allowed utrip bats. They sat on clearance racks for $99 CDN, which probably would've been like $75-80 US at the time.

SY100, SY100W, ST100, ST100H, SV100... all kinds of them, in all weights, gathering dust for over a year...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
the extendeds were 199 the flexs were 299. once i saw an extended sell for 350 on ebay, i ran to ****s and bought 3 of them and I think I sold them for 1100bucks in total. so made $500. my buddy ran and bought one before me and he used it for years. He still has it but hasn't played in like 5 years.

I also picked up 3 of the yellow, black and grey easton flex/synergy fast pitch bats off craigslist for 100 total. 2 of them had that crazy flex handle click. I sold each of them on ebay for $300. what a stupid time.

I never really did anything like this, but I sold an OG Voltage for $200 used after buying it for $99 new.

I liked the OG Extended, but I thought it had crappy durability. I think all the people paying huge money for used ones were idiots.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We had the 2012 USSSA Eastons showing up in stores here in Canada before any of our sanctions actually allowed utrip bats. They sat on clearance racks for $99 CDN, which probably would've been like $75-80 US at the time.

SY100, SY100W, ST100, ST100H, SV100... all kinds of them, in all weights, gathering dust for over a year...

SV100, I assume is the silver/yellow/black Salvo? I still have one of those that I bought for $69.99 shipped like a year after it came out. Still passes compression, and I love it. 2012 was a good year for Easton bats.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
SV100, I assume is the silver/yellow/black Salvo? I still have one of those that I bought for $69.99 shipped like a year after it came out. Still passes compression, and I love it. 2012 was a good year for Easton bats.

Yep, the silver and yellow one. I snagged a used 30oz this spring for $25, it's my favourite bat now.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yep, the silver and yellow one. I snagged a used 30oz this spring for $25, it's my favourite bat now.

Mine's a 30 as well. I still swing the Salvo in USSSA all the time. Other guys wonder why, until they see the results. CRIMINALLY underrated bat. I'd call the SV100 perhaps the biggest sleeper bat of all time. Even when it came out you could find that bat for under $100 easily.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I have a couple of Virus FPs that tested in the 90s compressionwise. I dont remember if it was Coop who made a comment that he didnt know how the bats didnt fall apart.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I have a couple of Virus FPs that tested in the 90s compressionwise. I dont remember if it was Coop who made a comment that he didnt know how the bats didnt fall apart.

Does a bat that tests so low even hit halfway decent? Seems like it would flex so much as to be completely unusable.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Does a bat that tests so low even hit halfway decent? Seems like it would flex so much as to be completely unusable.

A buddy had an Antivirus years back, the thing suddenly went completely dead. As in we couldn't hit 400# comp balls anywhere near a 250' fence. You could feel the barrel flex on impact but it had absolutely no bounce back.

I sawed the last 6" off to make it into a pen holder for him. There was no visible damage to the outside of the bat but the inner layers were absolutely crumbled into what looked like black baby powder.

JN137

Not really sure how I feel about compression testing to be honest. Not that I don't think the testing is accurate.. I'm just not so sure it is a reliable representative of performance.

This weekend, I left my usual gamers at home as I was pretty confident they were not going to pass. But, I did have one in my bag (17' Miken DC) and believe me when I tell you, this thing is absolutely ridiculous. In its current state, one of the hottest bats I have ever swung. I had them test it just for fun as I wanted to see what it came in at. This thing damn near passed at 220, only missed by a couple lbs.

Anyways, I brought a backup Freak with me that I was 100% positive would pass. I've never gamed it or anything, it's just not there yet performance wise. It feels okay in BP but definitely not fully broken in, hasn't even had a full sound change yet. And it wasn't even CLOSE! Failed by a mile. I was kind of dumbfounded honestly. The difference in performance between the DC I had them test and this Freak is so dramatic, and the DC tested at a way higher number, nearly passing.

One of my buddy's had his OG Freak30 out there, which I swung since mine didn't pass testing. Even this thing was nasty. Which really left me scratching my head wondering how this is possible.

We don't test at all of our tournaments, usually just the larger ones. But when we do, the sound and exit velos coming off some of these "passing" bats makes we think what is even the point? Meanwhile, my failing Freak wouldn't perform anywhere near some of these passing ones I swung all day.

Maybe there is something to it that I just don't know about.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's definitely not an exact science. If you watch dune of the velo testing in YouTube, higher compression bats hit harder than lower assume of the time. Fairly regularly for certain models.

It's better than nothing, but changing the ball would've been so much easier and better.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It's definitely not an exact science. If you watch dune of the velo testing in YouTube, higher compression bats hit harder than lower assume of the time. Fairly regularly for certain models.

It's better than nothing, but changing the ball would've been so much easier and better.

I feel like once a bat passes below a certain compression it starts losing pop... depending on how hard you swing. I personally prefer bats that are 250ish. Once they start dipping toward 220 I notice the bat flexes too much and starts hitting a bunch of knuckleballs.

220ish bats do shine in really hot conditions when the ball is total mush.

I've gone 400' with bats that still test at 300.

I don't like swinging senior bats, for the reason I mentioned above. Too much barrel flex, and I feel like I lose pop with them.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I feel like once a bat passes below a certain compression it starts losing pop... depending on how hard you swing. I personally prefer bats that are 250ish. Once they start dipping toward 220 I notice the bat flexes too much and starts hitting a bunch of knuckleballs.

220ish bats do shine in really hot conditions when the ball is total mush.

I've gone 400' with bats that still test at 300.

I don't like swinging senior bats, for the reason I mentioned above. Too much barrel flex, and I feel like I lose pop with them.

I have the same issue with the Senior bats. I hit better with my normal 220 gamers.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's definitely true at a point, but I believe it's low enough that's a minor secondary problem. Old composites would do the same thing before they busted.

By this time next year, if they don't do something leagues are going to be more dangerous than tournaments. The only 240 bats your rec guys are buying are the ones that fail fast, so after one cold season, and at the end of the second I'll be facing failing 220s on their last legs and failing 240s in the hands of a lot of guys with no bat control. How they don't think this will just further hurt participation is beyond me.

Redsfan

I have the same issue with the Senior bats. I hit better with my normal 220 gamers.
I definitely hit better with u-trip bats too. I can't swing my Senior bat hard like I can swing my u-trip bats. It's like if you ever swing Senior flex shafts on golf clubs. Have to be smooth and don't over swing.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
My VirusFPs hit great. My problems began when our league converted to .52s then I couldnt get the same performance out of it. It wasnt bad, just not like it was with the .44s