M classic ball, are they all the same? Are any more durable?

Jleist007

Just wondering what the best ball is to use and one that is durable, I play in Maryland and last year a lot of the covers on the zn's got cut. Thinking about going to evils or gold dot extremes.

Country469

Evil's leather cover seems to hold up as good as any ball out there. If you really want a durable ball, the plastic cover holds up far far longer than the leather covers.

Country469

BP lights. They are 52 cor balls and won't dammage nearly as fast or affect compression numbers as bad.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Evil's leather cover seems to hold up as good as any ball out there. If you really want a durable ball, the plastic cover holds up far far longer than the leather covers.
What he said. I get the Evil for my hit your own ball league. The performance is the best and they last the longest of a tournament ball (most expensive ball though).

For my work league, I'm the commissioner of, I get synthetic Trumps. They last the longest and our fence is 295 to 305 so you don't really need a super swing to hit it out with even a synthetic classic m that is 3 games old or whatever. I spend less on softballs than when we hit gold dots.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Classic M balls are definitely not created equal. Some perform great, and others are turds. What really sets a good classic M ball apart from a crappy one is how they perform in extreme heat or humidity. USSSA uses ZN classic Ms at worlds in FL. Down there they're total mush and feel like nerf off the bat.

I guess you have to decide what's more important when buying balls; ball longevity or performance. Synthetic covered balls will generally not get dinged up as much as composite covers. They're also at least $10/doz. cheaper. However, I don't think they perform nearly as well as composite covered balls. In my experience I'd take performance. That means something with a composite cover. You may get some nicked up covers, but the balls will still perform and last a lot longer than synthetics. I'd recommend Gold Dot Extremes, X Rocks, or Thunder ZNs, in that order. Gold Dot Extremes are (IMO) the hardest classic M on the market, and least susceptible to wilting to mush in the heat. They're absolute bat breakers in the cold.

I hate classic M balls. They're too temperature sensitive. In cold weather you get a freaking rock, while in hot weather you're hitting a pillow. Frankly I'm surprised USSSA hasn't gotten rid of those balls. They should just mandate classic + balls across the board.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
For the love of g-d get the composite covered balls. The price difference is about .80 cents a ball typically. I hate cheapskate people or directors who only care about paying the least amount of money when for a little more you can get a much better product.

Here is an idea, ask a typical team of 10-12 people if they will donate an extra .08-.24 per game to play and see if they will go for it. It's the difference between enjoying vs not nearly as much.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
For the love of g-d get the composite covered balls. The price difference is about .80 cents a ball typically. I hate cheapskate people or directors who only care about paying the least amount of money when for a little more you can get a much better product.

Here is an idea, ask a typical team of 10-12 people if they will donate an extra .08-.24 per game to play and see if they will go for it. It's the difference between enjoying vs not nearly as much.

I agree. The composite covered balls are worth the extra cost. For years balls were provided for USSSA tournies here. Baden C+ synthetics. Last few years teams have been able to bring their own balls. Everyone brings composite covered balls now. I think every league and tourny should be bring your own ball. That way if you're hitting a piece of junk you have no one to blame but yourself.

Hagen49

I've actually been pretty pleasantly surprised with how good the Champro classic Ms have been playing league in Colorado Springs. Obviously playing league nights in September through now the heat and humidity isn't going to be a factor, but they are pretty nice.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've actually been pretty pleasantly surprised with how good the Champro classic Ms have been playing league in Colorado Springs. Obviously playing league nights in September through now the heat and humidity isn't going to be a factor, but they are pretty nice.

Wait until June. Those balls will mush up bad. Granted, you're playing at night rather than during the heat of the day. Skyview's a launching pad. Any ball will look really good there.

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
We use the same ball in our summer 35+ league near Cinci. On a humid day you'll get about 2 good innings out of them before they feel like a sponge.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We use the same ball in our summer 35+ league near Cinci. On a humid day you'll get about 2 good innings out of them before they feel like a sponge.

In hot, humid places you're much better off using a classic +. I really wish the brainiacs in FL would realize that so we could stop using ZN classic Ms at worlds. The balls fly like absolute crap down there.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bean counters don't care about 24 cents per game. They care about the fact that the composite cover balls don't last. If they buy five dozen for a season they'll be lucky to have a dozen usable balls by the end, where with synthetics they'll probably have four and a half dozen left over. Besides not flying so far they get lost, the covers are bulletproof compared to composite.

I buy synthetics for bp, but would never buy them personally for games. All leagues should hit synthetic classic plus balls imo. They can have one upper league that guys something else, but most league teams shouldn't be hitting comp covered classic Ms.

Country469

Agreed. I hate the hot dot synthetic ball but it also gives me the greatest advantage. BP all day every day with them jants too, and then like the Interstate church jant that had 44 375s last year made me look like Harvery

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The bean counters don't care about 24 cents per game. They care about the fact that the composite cover balls don't last. If they buy five dozen for a season they'll be lucky to have a dozen usable balls by the end, where with synthetics they'll probably have four and a half dozen left over. Besides not flying so far they get lost, the covers are bulletproof compared to composite.

I buy synthetics for bp, but would never buy them personally for games. All leagues should hit synthetic classic plus balls imo. They can have one upper league that guys something else, but most league teams shouldn't be hitting comp covered classic Ms.

I agree. All the leagues I play use synthetic .52 300 ASA Tattoos. They aren't great balls, but I feel they're perfectly adequate for league. Composite balls WILL vastly outlast composite balls in terms of performance longevity. The covers can and do get nicked, but I've found that synthetic balls break down and become mushy far sooner than composites.

The best of both worlds would be a ball like the Tattoo NX3. Its a molded plastic ball that really doesn't have a cover. Its all one piece. Unfortunately those things cost an arm and a leg. They do perform though.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Agreed. I hate the hot dot synthetic ball but it also gives me the greatest advantage. BP all day every day with them jants too, and then like the Interstate church jant that had 44 375s last year made me look like Harvery

Hot Dots aren't quite as bad as people say. I won't call them outstanding, but they're solidly average for a .52. I've hit them extensively in synthetic and SYCO covers and I really don't mind them at all.

BPing with a crappy ball is a good idea, for the exact reason you mentioned. You go into games using good balls and look like an A player.

Country469

I was getting them for the local league at 27/dozen in bulk. That was literally the cheapest made ball to classic plus spec on the market. And at that point I had access to literally anything I wanted softball wise in bulk.