Maine

jman1

washed up....
When most of the guys over the age of 30 started to play we only had ASA, USSSA did not really exist. We played really only in Maine. The Memorial day tourney in Brunswick was DEEP back in the day. The Charlie Mull tourney was a good Maine based tourney in Brunswick. The Brunswick league had some of the best teams around as did L/A and Bangor. Then the rec killed it because they really only wanted KIDS to play on those fields (mostly soccer).
Very few companies want to sponsor adult teams any long as well, times are tough. These factors all play into it.
You have good, growing, teams that don't stay together because there is really only a couple of teams that can and will win. I agree you do not get better if you don't stay together but teams will not stay together if you have 1-2 stacked teams and the other 7-8 teams really can not and will not win. These better 1-2 teams are classified in the same division as the "up and coming" teams. The upper teams don't want to be moved up and the lower teams can not spend $200-300 every weekend to enter and go 0-2 or at best 1-2. It is hard to get better and get experience when you get in few games each time you show. The travel is too expensive to lose like that. I am a die hard and have an ability to pay for my habit and a family/wife that understands my addiction. Younger kids, the future of the sport, do not have the money to travel, pay the way and then lose often. The guys that can afford it will not or should not be "the first national bank of ......" to pay for everyone that doesn't have it or doesn't WANT TO MAKE the money it cost to play (way too many guys that want hand outs).
Worst you have teams that do well for years and will not move up because they ONLY want to win. It is very hypocritical of some to say get better and you can compete when you get better, then turn around and allow the upper teams to be left down because they want to place in the top 5 in worlds. So they stay in a lower division to afford them the chance to do so. Giving them a chance to win..... why don't you move up and get better? You can not have it both ways. Let me make this clear, I DONT CARE WHO I/WE PLAY we should be able to compete with those teams if we play to our potential. Some teams do not even have a fighting chance most of the time. I know "on any given day".... most are not going to accept that.
I understand also that other states are crooked and allow this to happen, but you can not do it just because others are and expect the growth of the sport. In Maine you are too small and have far less teams to do this. The sport will die. Good players will play out of state and young kids will just stop playing. League maybe (its cheaper), not tournaments.

cliff notes? :D

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
Sensitive a little? I was just pointing out the theoretical benefits of my suggestion. I clearly know you don't make tons of money doing softball tourneys, I am not that ignorant and am well educated on cost btw. I would just like to know what is USSSA strategy on this cause it seems to be a continuing issue year in and out?

Maine USSSA or National USSSA? Big difference cause as long as the D and E worlds get almost 200 teams every year you may not see much of a change. Right now the big discussion, I would imagine, is the upper programs and how to keep them going strong. They are trying to be more strict with the players dropping down below where they should be playing but its hard to do so. Perfect example: Matzell has made the choice to play C ball this coming season. Lets say they end up being a move up team for next season and Matzell is a B player for 2015. Matzell says he cant travel out of state next year because of work issues. Where is he gonna play? He cant get reclassified until he plays a year of B softball. Is softball over for him? That's a huge issue in softball right now with players dropping down to play with there friends or local team but have played upper ball. Same with Huzz. So I guess im asking you what issues you are talking about when it comes to Maine softball cause nationally I sure cant give you any answers. Ive classified teams where they belong in Maine. I could do what ASA did for years and not care about the Nationals or Worlds and have a B,C,D and E program in Maine. Does that fix anything? The problem is bigger than what I can do in Maine. Softball has died so much in the past 15-20 years that to be able to fix it now seems like an impossible task. Im just trying to pick up the pieces over the past 6 years. I don't have all the leagues like ASA does. ASA really still has control over the state and they are the ones that need to fix softball since they are the ones who tore it a part along with the teams that cried too much cause they didn't want to play any good teams. The problem really is way above me but I sure wish there was an answer I could give you. Im sure a lot of people think they have the answers and Ill listen to them and discuss and if its a good idea and coaches agree then lets do it and see what happens. Im here for you guys and want to make it work. It just seems like attacking is easier to some people than coming with legit answers.

jman1

washed up....
people can say what they want about the sport.. all I can say is.. ultra 2... period... guys who enjoyed playing but didn't want to take it to the extreme cant just go out and enjoy the weekend anymore.. guys use to throw together a team and go out and have a blast... memorial day.. mull.. those were great weekends....I got to the point where id rather just go play golf or fish over playing all weekend and I loved playing ball more than anything for a long time.. playing with 50 core and ultra 2 in 40 degree weather wasn't all that fun for a lot of people playing defense... bats getting banned, shaved, rolled ect..people freezing balls before games... people complaining about hitting middle... really? people complaining about HITTING?????:wtf2: not to mention sand bagging and rosters and every other damn thing...plus the distance between the better teams and average teams got to far apart and people found other stuff to do with a lot less drama....

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
When most of the guys over the age of 30 started to play we only had ASA, USSSA did not really exist. We played really only in Maine. The Memorial day tourney in Brunswick was DEEP back in the day. The Charlie Mull tourney was a good Maine based tourney in Brunswick. The Brunswick league had some of the best teams around as did L/A and Bangor. Then the rec killed it because they really only wanted KIDS to play on those fields (mostly soccer).
Very few companies want to sponsor adult teams any long as well, times are tough. These factors all play into it.
You have good, growing, teams that don't stay together because there is really only a couple of teams that can and will win. I agree you do not get better if you don't stay together but teams will not stay together if you have 1-2 stacked teams and the other 7-8 teams really can not and will not win. These better 1-2 teams are classified in the same division as the "up and coming" teams. The upper teams don't want to be moved up and the lower teams can not spend $200-300 every weekend to enter and go 0-2 or at best 1-2. It is hard to get better and get experience when you get in few games each time you show. The travel is too expensive to lose like that. I am a die hard and have an ability to pay for my habit and a family/wife that understands my addiction. Younger kids, the future of the sport, do not have the money to travel, pay the way and then lose often. The guys that can afford it will not or should not be "the first national bank of ......" to pay for everyone that doesn't have it or doesn't WANT TO MAKE the money it cost to play (way too many guys that want hand outs).
Worst you have teams that do well for years and will not move up because they ONLY want to win. It is very hypocritical of some to say get better and you can compete when you get better, then turn around and allow the upper teams to be left down because they want to place in the top 5 in worlds. So they stay in a lower division to afford them the chance to do so. Giving them a chance to win..... why don't you move up and get better? You can not have it both ways. Let me make this clear, I DONT CARE WHO I/WE PLAY we should be able to compete with those teams if we play to our potential. Some teams do not even have a fighting chance most of the time. I know "on any given day".... most are not going to accept that.
I understand also that other states are crooked and allow this to happen, but you can not do it just because others are and expect the growth of the sport. In Maine you are too small and have far less teams to do this. The sport will die. Good players will play out of state and young kids will just stop playing. League maybe (its cheaper), not tournaments.

you make some valid points Chad. The problem is where do we draw the line. Do we just stop caring about Worlds and say this is your Maine classification and do what ASA did for years. Does Gridiron have to move up cause they are a good team in Maine? The upper USSSA teams in Maine play for 1 reason and that's to get ready for Worlds. If there was no Worlds then USSSA wouldn't exist in Maine or many other states. Teams would find another sanction to get ready for worlds in. We can all rant and rave about how things are but really what are the answers? If a team doesn't finish in the top 20 at Worlds should they have to move up because they won in Maine? I can see both arguments with this problem but what is the answer? This issue started way before I took over USSSA in Maine and now im left trying to fix the issues that have been here for a long time in ASA. I do have 1 answer, I think more teams should move up from Es at worlds to make room for more rec teams to move up. Same with the D teams. With more rec teams moving up into Es the program would eventually grow. BUT, I have not control or say in the matter.

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
people can say what they want about the sport.. all I can say is.. ultra 2... period... guys who enjoyed playing but didn't want to take it to the extreme cant just go out and enjoy the weekend anymore.. guys use to throw together a team and go out and have a blast... memorial day.. mull.. those were great weekends....I got to the point where id rather just go play golf or fish over playing all weekend and I loved playing ball more than anything for a long time.. playing with 50 core and ultra 2 in 40 degree weather wasn't all that fun for a lot of people playing defense... bats getting banned, shaved, rolled ect..people freezing balls before games... people complaining about hitting middle... really? people complaining about HITTING?????:wtf2: not to mention sand bagging and rosters and every other damn thing...plus the distance between the better teams and average teams got to far apart and people found other stuff to do with a lot less drama....

great post JMAN.......thats really is what happened. Damn sport ruined itself.

bat companies are making all the money now

jman1

washed up....
usssa at least in maine had long been looked at as more for the better players.. better bats different rules ect.. it scared away a lot of the lowers asa teams from even trying.... asa really has no one involved enough to keep it alive up here... it sucks they still have the leagues...

jman1

washed up....
great post JMAN.......thats really is what happened. Damn sport ruined itself.

bat companies are making all the money now

yeah.. I miss playing like crazy.. but what can I do now.. catch or eh with 6 other fat guys on the team that can all smash the ball but are to old and slow to field:D

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
yeah.. I miss playing like crazy.. but what can I do now.. catch or eh with 6 other fat guys on the team that can all smash the ball but are to old and slow to field:D

going back to aluminum bats would be a start to fix softball. I hate playing wooden bat league in Lewiston but I will say this much that teams arent afraid of playing the top teams anymore. it really does make a dfference.

huzzdog

retired
i agree.. great bats and hr limits contributed to the demise of the sport. but take away the good equipment and the lower teams might not be afraid but the gap gets wider. i'd argue it's easier for lower teams to compete with good equipment for everybody. give dmac.. red.. jv and others metal and they will still be great hitters. give some rec guy brand new to the game a metal bat and hello .300 average and never a homer

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
i agree.. great bats and hr limits contributed to the demise of the sport. but take away the good equipment and the lower teams might not be afraid but the gap gets wider. i'd argue it's easier for lower teams to compete with good equipment for everybody. give dmac.. red.. jv and others metal and they will still be great hitters. give some rec guy brand new to the game a metal bat and hello .300 average and never a homer

wont hit the ball as hard though. harder than most people but still not as hard. that's just a given.

TommyD18

The Veteran
Maine USSSA or National USSSA? Big difference cause as long as the D and E worlds get almost 200 teams every year you may not see much of a change. Right now the big discussion, I would imagine, is the upper programs and how to keep them going strong. They are trying to be more strict with the players dropping down below where they should be playing but its hard to do so. Perfect example: Matzell has made the choice to play C ball this coming season. Lets say they end up being a move up team for next season and Matzell is a B player for 2015. Matzell says he cant travel out of state next year because of work issues. Where is he gonna play? He cant get reclassified until he plays a year of B softball. Is softball over for him? That's a huge issue in softball right now with players dropping down to play with there friends or local team but have played upper ball. Same with Huzz. So I guess im asking you what issues you are talking about when it comes to Maine softball cause nationally I sure cant give you any answers. Ive classified teams where they belong in Maine. I could do what ASA did for years and not care about the Nationals or Worlds and have a B,C,D and E program in Maine. Does that fix anything? The problem is bigger than what I can do in Maine. Softball has died so much in the past 15-20 years that to be able to fix it now seems like an impossible task. Im just trying to pick up the pieces over the past 6 years. I don't have all the leagues like ASA does. ASA really still has control over the state and they are the ones that need to fix softball since they are the ones who tore it a part along with the teams that cried too much cause they didn't want to play any good teams. The problem really is way above me but I sure wish there was an answer I could give you. Im sure a lot of people think they have the answers and Ill listen to them and discuss and if its a good idea and coaches agree then lets do it and see what happens. Im here for you guys and want to make it work. It just seems like attacking is easier to some people than coming with legit answers.

So whats your growth strategy in maine? and I know how corrupt ASA is but to use it as an excuse of why USSSA can't grow seems unlogical to me. I know many leagues and teams who are unhappy with the direction of ASA, I see that as opportunity for USSSA to make up some ground. I want this game to be around for a long time and I think the best opportunity for growth is through USSSA and your direction.

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
So whats your growth strategy in maine? and I know how corrupt ASA is but to use it as an excuse of why USSSA can't grow seems unlogical to me. I know many leagues and teams who are unhappy with the direction of ASA, I see that as opportunity for USSSA to make up some ground. I want this game to be around for a long time and I think the best opportunity for growth is through USSSA and your direction.

can only grow if leagues are willing to change to USSSA. If they are not then its out of my hands. I cant make leagues change over and if they do not change over then there is only so much growth I can provide in USSSA. Right now USSSA is for Tournaments. If players aren't happy with ASA leagues or ASA in general then they need to get there leagues to contact me and switch over. Problem there is most leagues are stuck in there ways and will no way consider the switch. its a slow process but im getting the phone calls here and there and It will take more than me to make things better in Maine. USSSA is spreading in Maine but like I said its a slow process to change over what has been for 30+ years. Then the other problem is the umpires that should have retired in the 80s. Umpires have to be willing to change over also. USSSA has grown over the past 5 years, Bangor, Bath, Westbrook and hopefully a few others this year. Its going to take teams and players to make the change and Im more than willing to help.

Last edited:

huzzdog

retired
asa has made the bats as good... it's basically utrip without pump faking. I like the ASA game and at the national level it's still a top tier event. The problem is ASA umpires are completely missing the game at the local level. they act as though they are an authority figure and take the fun out of the game. this isn't high school... let us warm up.. let us have fun. you aren't the show. if nobody notices you then you did your job.

locally all the umpires are awful. fix that and i wouldn't hate an ASA league.. oh yeah.. the arc is now 10ft. not 15. if you wanna be a rules stickler get them all right.

isthisshaved19

Addicted to Softballfans
asa has made the bats as good... it's basically utrip without pump faking. I like the ASA game and at the national level it's still a top tier event. The problem is ASA umpires are completely missing the game at the local level. they act as though they are an authority figure and take the fun out of the game. this isn't high school... let us warm up.. let us have fun. you aren't the show. if nobody notices you then you did your job.

locally all the umpires are awful. fix that and i wouldn't hate an ASA league.. oh yeah.. the arc is now 10ft. not 15. if you wanna be a rules stickler get them all right.

Actually, the ASA bat (has Danny's carved into it lol jk) I've been using is better than the new stamped UTRIP, but that is because it kills the Gold Dot and most leagues don't realize the ball was supposed to change lol.

jman1

washed up....

or .800 cause hes hitting bloops just over the infield all day long... lots of great hitters like that too.. id take Maxwell at bat with a wooden bat needing a base hit to win the game anyday :thumb:

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran

its softball and that's all it should be whether its ASA or USSSA. if leagues are unhappy then its because of there league director or rec department not ASA or USSSA. Teams in the league have control over rules not ASA or USSSA. If you aren't happy with your umpires then remember even if you switch over you may end up with some of the same guys. It takes leaders to make changes. Paul in Westbrook has done a great job and wants to work and make changes. That's what it takes right there.

huzzdog

retired
or .800 cause hes hitting bloops just over the infield all day long... lots of great hitters like that too.. id take Maxwell at bat with a wooden bat needing a base hit to win the game anyday :thumb:

max isn't a rec level hitter. he's better than that. but if the outfielders only had to play 220.. it be tough.

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
max isn't a rec level hitter. he's better than that. but if the outfielders only had to play 220.. it be tough.

it was tough at ASA E States cause the balls sucked and the outfielders really were playing about the coed line on everyone. of course the balls always suck in 100 degree weather

huzzdog

retired
the hottest ever.. carolina shootout. 115 with no escape. i bought a bag of ice and it melted on my head in less than 1 inning. that was miserable.

Munson
Whoa, after months of little to no posts I show up today and find this dead horse again. What are the odds for the next topic being either altered bats or hitting middle?

isthisshaved19

Addicted to Softballfans
Whoa, after months of little to no posts I show up today and find this dead horse again. What are the odds for the next topic being either altered bats or hitting middle?

Ummm, those were covered, back in hibernation:thumb:

Munson
Since we've hit on classification, bats, hitting middle, asa sucks, crocker is crooked, and sand bagging in the last month I wonder what will be next? Did I miss all the hot stove talk? Anyone jumping teams that will cause real drama? If we have that all covered the onlything left to discuss from repeating topics would be Red's button. Nobody wins when that happens.

Also, who's uni will Red be wearing this year?

shoo2ers

Crafty Veteran
Since we've hit on classification, bats, hitting middle, asa sucks, crocker is crooked, and sand bagging in the last month I wonder what will be next? Did I miss all the hot stove talk? Anyone jumping teams that will cause real drama? If we have that all covered the onlything left to discuss from repeating topics would be Red's button. Nobody wins when that happens.

Whatever color your wearing if you call him

harborhog

Addicted to Softballfans

This forum would slowly die out if we didn't have things to ***** about haha

huzzdog

retired
for what it's worth i think heath is the only reason there are still softball tournaments in this state at all. anybody who doesn't agree with that has their head up their ass

Turk 44

Retired
Back in the 90's was softball
Winners Pipe Gippers swampdonkeys kens card bubbas free street travner
WIBURES
JV wtf was that name oh ya SUGER SUGER