Making the game a farce?

Mond

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night in our winter league game we were up by 20+ in the bottom of the third inning, half of which we got during this current at bat. After a while we are trying to be good sports, taking one bag at a time, not scoring from 2nd on a single, jogging the bases on a ball that could easily be a home run (no fence), etc. So anyways, we have a guy on 3rd with no outs and our batter hits a rocket in the air that the left fielder catches that is an easy tag up, but since we're ahead by so much and the team we're playing always gets destroyed our guy on 3rd stayed at the base. When the ball was thrown back into the infield the Ump started to walk up the 3rd base line and yells "Hey on 3rd....don't make the game into a farce"

We didn't understand it at all and thought it was pretty ridiculous. Now I know anything can happen in softball and a run can't be taken for granted but the Ump saying something about an act that the guy felt was good sportsmanship seemed strange.

On the next at bat, our hitter got a single and the runner on 3rd scored and then the game was called, maybe he just wanted to go home? Anyone experience something like this when you thought you were just being a good sport?

oppo

Coach
Last night in our winter league game we were up by 20+ in the bottom of the third inning, half of which we got during this current at bat. After a while we are trying to be good sports, taking one bag at a time, not scoring from 2nd on a single, jogging the bases on a ball that could easily be a home run (no fence), etc. So anyways, we have a guy on 3rd with no outs and our batter hits a rocket in the air that the left fielder catches that is an easy tag up, but since we're ahead by so much and the team we're playing always gets destroyed our guy on 3rd stayed at the base. When the ball was thrown back into the infield the Ump started to walk up the 3rd base line and yells "Hey on 3rd....don't make the game into a farce"

We didn't understand it at all and thought it was pretty ridiculous. Now I know anything can happen in softball and a run can't be taken for granted but the Ump saying something about an act that the guy felt was good sportsmanship seemed strange.

On the next at bat, our hitter got a single and the runner on 3rd scored and then the game was called, maybe he just wanted to go home? Anyone experience something like this when you thought you were just being a good sport?
I had a game a couple weeks ago where the ump admitted that the runner was safe but she called him out because she wanted to get the game over so she could go home.

Devil Dog

You like soup?
Should have just played like you normally play rather than feeling sorry for a team. For some people, they take it mighty offensively when you take it easy on them, I know I would, though I have never been in that type of situation.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
We were up on a team by 20 in the first 10 mins of a game, I'm on second and
Look at my 1st baseman and turn and threw it into the dugout. Ump told me to quit, I just wanted to play more than 15 mins

ancientways.sbc

Addicted to Softballfans
Should have just played like you normally play rather than feeling sorry for a team. For some people, they take it mighty offensively when you take it easy on them, I know I would, though I have never been in that type of situation.

yep, just run rule them and finish the game...if they couldn't slow you down to begin with , what difference - besides a few more ab's - would taking 1 base at a time make.

hitsone

Same here. But it is possible to "take a little off" your game without being offensive To the spirit of the game.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
for sure he just wanted to go home.

in that situation, runner on 3rd should have started going home right away. if they drop it, well, jog in. if he catches it, well then you gotta go tag up and can't score anyway, ump has nothing to complain about

Mond

Addicted to Softballfans
yep, just run rule them and finish the game...if they couldn't slow you down to begin with , what difference - besides a few more ab's - would taking 1 base at a time make.

In our league the run rule doesn't kick in until the 4th inning and we knew we were going to get it the next inning based on how bad the other team is, so yea guys were just trying to be friendly and not rack up 30+ on them.

TP14

Coach
Been there a few times. Some were like "thanks for taking it easy on us" and others are the exact opposite. Somtimes it is all in who you're playing. For the umpire to say somethig about it though, I have to say just call the game Blue.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
for sure he just wanted to go home.

in that situation, runner on 3rd should have started going home right away. if they drop it, well, jog in. if he catches it, well then you gotta go tag up and can't score anyway, ump has nothing to complain about

Its the umpire's job to call balls, strikes, and outs....other than that GTFO

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
We had an umpire yell at us with the winning run on third base. Upon the guy scoring it would have run ruled the other team. The umpire accused us of delaying the game.

"Use The Farce" !

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We had an umpire yell at us with the winning run on third base. Upon the guy scoring it would have run ruled the other team. The umpire accused us of delaying the game.

"Use The Farce" !

An umpire may forfeit a game if one team "employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game." Sounds like you were delaying the end of the game.

C'mon... I know it's no fun watching a team get blown out that probably shouldn't have been there to begin with, but let's get it over with.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

I'd say that if the guy on 3rd was the game ending run, by not tagging and scoring it would give the appearance that it was intentional so another guy could get another at bat....thus making a mockery of things and being disrespectful of the opponent and game. It isn't fun to be on either side of those games so get it over with and move on. As far as "taking it easy" on the bases....some teams go overboard with this as well. If there are no fences and you hit one that rolls 400 ft (now that you joined SBF it will surely fly 400') that is clearly a double - but if your guy goes to 1st and just stands there waiting for the OF to get the ball in that is going overboard and rubbing it in.

Now, as far as you thinking you can bring proper English into this forum newb......you better learn that around these here parts it is spelled "rEdiculous" - forget what Websters says! :rolleyes:

BitLumpkin

Choach
maybe he just learned what the word farce meant and wanted to use it in a sentence. although i'm not sure he used it correctly

B.Lee

Addicted to Softballfans
An umpire may forfeit a game if one team "employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game." Sounds like you were delaying the end of the game.

C'mon... I know it's no fun watching a team get blown out that probably shouldn't have been there to begin with, but let's get it over with.

Good point. But the problem I have with this is it's the players hour, they paid for it and as long as they play within the rules the ump should keep his opinion to himself. If the opposition wanted the game over - walk off the field. But it shouldn't be up to the ump to decide how soon the game ends.

Lord7

Banned User
The game of softball starts out as a farce to being with. It's a lot of fun, but come on now...

ni1ck

Addicted to Softballfans
ilyk2win was spot on with his assesment. It is no fun to be on the losing end of those games and it should not be fun to be on the winning end either of those games. If you were doing this to play another inning or have another at bat than its a jerk move.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Good point. But the problem I have with this is it's the players hour, they paid for it and as long as they play within the rules the ump should keep his opinion to himself. If the opposition wanted the game over - walk off the field. But it shouldn't be up to the ump to decide how soon the game ends.

Yes and no. Would I call it? Only under extreme circumstances. A forfeit is my last resort, and I'll do everything I can (within the rules) to avoid it.

But in tourneys, hey, we've got to keep things moving. Tourneys almost always seem to fall behind schedule, and it's up to us umpires to prevent unnecessary delays from impacting the rest of the tournament. While it may just be "one more inning," those innings can sometimes last 15-20 minutes. If that happens in 3 different games, you've now delayed the tournament as much as an hour.

Remember: your team may be okay with it, but how would you feel if you were the team that had to wait an extra hour (or more!) because a few teams made this "concession" earlier in the day?