man, confidence can be shaked real fast..

dunkky

So, I don't know when was the last time i struggled this bad. I mean I've been smacking balls pretty good and hard like the past 30+ games or so. Last night 1 out of 7. Coach did shake up the lineups for the experiment, but that can't be the legit reason. I hit mostly grounders. that's ok, just one night, but i also witnessed myself, my confidence wasn't the same, and questioning my mechanic again. I wanna pretend that's wasn't the case, but that's the truth. i guess my mental is weaker than i thought.. lol

jkwoody22

League ball huer
You need live bp for reps and pitch selection, that’s what happens to me, mechanically I feel great hitting off a tee, get most of reps that way because of schedule life, peeps etc, but when I get to games, my pitch selection, timing just doesn’t feel right and I lose all that work, yes the mind can just screw things up

dunkky

nothing wrong with my poop toss. that helped me to a much better hitter without a doubt. i have been very consistent except last night. Even though it was just one bad night, i am a little bit surprised I am questioning my own confidence... I just hit too many grounders for no good reason.. I will admit, I swung at very high pitches a couple of times.. maybe that threw my rhythm off. all i know is that time to take my poop toss and hit again.. lol

dunkky

It's better than a tee, but less than friends.

For me, it's better than a tee by a mile. it's really same as a dude tossing it in half the distance. It's pretty common when people do their bp, pitch a little shorter distance.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
What exactly about your swing felt off? Struggles can happen to anyone at any time. What's important is to realize what you're doing wrong and take steps to correct it.

If you're hitting grounders (while not trying to) it probably means you're a little out in front of the ball. I run into that occasionally. You want to hit a HR or a gapper and end up with a 2 hopper to SS.

FWIW, I don't feel like the pop toss creates timing problems. I used mine all winter and have had a great start to the year hitting.

I find that whenever my swing goes awry that the best way to fix it is to hit middle or oppo. You end up having to wait on the ball more and time it better. Trying to pull the ball all the time you get "pull happy". You end up swinging early and rolling a lot of balls over.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
For me, it's better than a tee by a mile. it's really same as a dude tossing it in half the distance. It's pretty common when people do their bp, pitch a little shorter distance.
It's defiantly better than tee imo, but no substitute for live pitching from appropriate distance. That said we unfortunately don't have the luxury of live pitching all the time or even at all for alot of us.. what ive noticed in a few of your vids is the wait between pitches sometimes seems like you're waiting and waitng, for me i know that would create issues at some point or another with timing, timing the turns to confidence issues or lack of again.. IMO
Btw it seems that you are thinking waay too much anout stuff that should just feel natural.

Last edited:

dunkky

If you're hitting grounders (while not trying to) it probably means you're a little out in front of the ball. I run into that occasionally. You want to hit a HR or a gapper and end up with a 2 hopper to SS.

That sounds convincing. I've been pulling the ball too much lately.

Btw it seems that you are thinking waay too much anout stuff that should just feel natural.
yeah. it's time to just swing hard without thinking my mechanics.

good points gentlemen. I think next time when i take out poptoss, I will just try to hit the ball in the middle without thinking too much about my hands shoulders, etc. i think my mechanic is good enough now I don't really have to put too much focus on that anymore. Just swing like i am in a game.

Dont get me wrong, with pop toss, i am a completely different hitter in a very positive way. Last night was disaster with too many grounders.

Again, poptoss should not mess up the timing. it's all eye coordination IMO.

ShortYellowBus

This week I hit the ball hard and in the gaps. It was an excellent week of offense, and we won both games.

Last week I played against different teams and it seems the gaps just weren’t there for me. I was hitting the ball hard and low, so I have to give credit to the opposition. Balls just got caught, and at the end I ended up slicing a few balls up in the air out of frustration.

Don’t get frustrated. You’ll have a chance to get some clutch hits, your confidence will rise and things will work out.

dunkky

absolutely.. i guess i had too much expectation going into the game and like tw pointed out, i tried to pull it too hard with some authority, rather than let the bat do the work. i have been hitting too well lately, I think I just got cocky.

i probably gonna do some bp tomorrow with no other than poop toss! I need a new spring though..

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
What exactly about your swing felt off? Struggles can happen to anyone at any time. What's important is to realize what you're doing wrong and take steps to correct it.

FWIW, I don't feel like the pop toss creates timing problems. I used mine all winter and have had a great start to the year hitting.

I find that whenever my swing goes awry that the best way to fix it is to hit middle or oppo. You end up having to wait on the ball more and time it better. Trying to pull the ball all the time you get "pull happy". You end up swinging early and rolling a lot of balls over.
This...

dunkky

went out tonight. basically with the mindset, see the ball, hit the ball. Decided not to think about my form or mechanic since i believe my mechanic is good enough. Also tried to hit the middle rather than consciously pulling it. 7 out 10, went middle. was hitting them hard liners consistently with occasional pop ups. hardly any grounders.

Overall, felt good. my confidence is up again. can't wait til next thursday to redeem myself. thanks for the tips gentlemen!!

Danh1265

went out tonight. basically with the mindset, see the ball, hit the ball. Decided not to think about my form or mechanic since i believe my mechanic is good enough. Also tried to hit the middle rather than consciously pulling it. 7 out 10, went middle. was hitting them hard liners consistently with occasional pop ups. hardly any grounders.

Overall, felt good. my confidence is up again. can't wait til next thursday to redeem myself. thanks for the tips gentlemen!!

Agree with this ( see ball hit ball). KISS. Never been one to "hit the bottom of the ball" or top of the ball. Pick good pitches and be aggressive. If you're struggling, go back middle. I get myself out when I swing at bad pitches. Part of taking BP, imo, is working on your pitch selection. Don't swing at bad pitches -- EVER !