Mask??

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Out here in the SF By area I do not know of any leagues requiring use of a pitching mask but it does seem like more leagues are adopting a pitching screen.

Use of a pitching mask is somewhat controversial but in more competitive men's leagues & in tournament play it is slowly becoming the norm. 3 years ago you simply did not pitching masks in leagues; I only came across them in tournament play. Now in the 2 composite leagues I play in one league uses a pitching screen and there are 6 of the 12 teams in the other league wherein the pitcher wears a mask (& pretty much full gear). Personally, in recreational leagues I like the use of a pitching screen way more than "suiting" up in full gear, but that's just me. Some folks absolutely hate screens.

If you do have to wear a mask I strongly advise you go all out and get yourself some good knee/shin guards, a good cup and maybe even a chest & forearm protector. Requiring pitchers to wear a mask is pretty much going to open the middle up and while wearing just a pitching mask may save your face from damage that's about all it will save. Being a big & fat old guy the biggest problem for me is fielding those knee/ankle high line drives.

Last edited:

TCzLEGACY

Manager
Everyone here in my city league are throwing a b**** fit because they have to buy and wear them during games I don't pitch but I can and wouldn't be bothered by it but wondering if that's being considered at the norm in league now and definitely have not heard of anyone using a pitching screen....

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Everyone here in my city league are throwing a b**** fit because they have to buy and wear them during games I don't pitch but I can and wouldn't be bothered by it but wondering if that's being considered at the norm in league now and definitely have not heard of anyone using a pitching screen....

The screen in out league is considered a foul ball, but the pitcher can still field it if they get the ball before it hits the screen. It allows the non fielding pitchers to just get out of the way and the good fielding pitchers have to pick a side.

It is mostly a really fun league so it's actually pretty cool to be able to hit middle without the risk of a poor fielder getting hurt.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer

Hmmm? Don't pitch but you can & wouldn't be bothered. Try throwing BP to your teammates at your next practice and tell them middle is open. Not trying to be sarcastic here but its harder to pitch than you think and even harder to be a good fielder at it.

A pitching screen basically allows less experienced pitchers (or older pitchers who can't move as good as they used to) to play without fear of going to the hospital or having to miss work due to an injury. Any decent pitcher can easily learn how to use the screen to his.her advantage and at the same time hitters do not have to worry about taking out a pitcher so it basically opens up the middle for them (pretty much what Bird said).

Again, with regards to recreational leagues only, I do see some issues with "requiring" pitchers to wear a mask vs just getting a pitching screen. For starters, those less experienced pitchers are going to have a harder time fielding shots when donned in full gear and the gear is not going to prevent them from getting hit--it's just going to decrease the probability of them getting a more serious injury.

I think wearing a mask & gear for a pitcher is a very very good ideal, however, one must also be comfortable with that gear.

TCzLEGACY

Manager
I don't pitch but can yea that's right and have worn a mask and used a mask already before it is a safety thing I have had my brother hit middle with a net and have nothing but respect for the better guys who could make the plays or get hit and still pitch because the shots he hit at the net I couldn't even get my glove in front of my face where the ball was coming towards and in league I have seen our pitcher get hit at all game for his dumbass talking **** before the game to the other team and get hit maybe 4 times that game and still pissed because he has to wear a mask I think the net would be interesting to see who would use it and who would try to still make the plays

TCzLEGACY

Manager
He really isn't too smart brother old and slow granted he can place it anywhere on the mat but when people figure out his pitch they tee off on his ass.... Sometimes I feel bad for him but then again compared to him I'm just a youngster that don't know anything about anything.... So if he runs his mouth I know what to expect already

THESHOE

Starting Player
+1

The more Rec it gets, the happier I am to wear my Lacrosse helmet to pitch.

Outside pitches on a high count will have Rec players coming back at you all day from swinging in panic.

I just like to have my head and face shielded. As a result I am a bigger defensive presence than when I twitch to protect myself every pitch.

As the skill level gets better, guys/gals will pick their spots across the playing surface.

Not yet playing at a level where I would be scared to pitch. But I do rock BP with some A/B players where middle is a big part of the game, and frankly, I just wouldn't want to be in the IF against those guys. :wtf2:

I am more weary of rec players with no bat control than the higher classified players. I make sure I wear my mask especially playing rec

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Been pitching rec ball for 15-20 years, and I can count the # of times on both hands where the ball ever came close to my face. Been hit maybe 50 times elsewhere on my body in that time frame, so I hardly think "bat control" is an issue.

The issue is getting set for defense instead watching to see where the pitch lands, which is usually the only time I really get clocked with the ball.

52/300 doesn't hurt nearly as bad as the old 44. I think it's preference and knowing where to pitch folks and knowing what to expect when you make a certain pitch.

swingaway06

Addicted to Softballfans
Many years ago I used to be one of those guys that thought it was silly for a pitcher to wear a mask but after seeing a guy get his teeth knocked out just pitching batting practice and had to have more than 1 operation for a busted jaw and dental work I'm firmly in the camp now that if a league or tournament wants to require pitchers to wear masks I would have no issue with it. I've taken enough bad hops or hard liners in the infield to know that the pitcher is in the most vulnerable spot on the field that even your basic mask from Wal-Mart is better than nothing these days and could save you from some expensive work to repair your face. With all the new ball and bat regulations these days that are done with safety in mind it's probably just a matter or time before requiring the pitcher to wear a mask too.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I can set all I want.

But when a newb who never BPs and plays once a week, with poor bat control or mechanics, decides to get all Gym Bro and take a 120% Happy Gilmore stride effort into it with a DC41. FML.

Been pitching rec ball for 15-20 years, and I can count the # of times on both hands where the ball ever came close to my face. Been hit maybe 50 times elsewhere on my body in that time frame, so I hardly think "bat control" is an issue.

The issue is getting set for defense instead watching to see where the pitch lands, which is usually the only time I really get clocked with the ball.

52/300 doesn't hurt nearly as bad as the old 44. I think it's preference and knowing where to pitch folks and knowing what to expect when you make a certain pitch.