Meal plan

Softball.com:

mikejp1987

The Veteran
I need help on putting together some sort of meal plan. I know what foods are good to eat, and what foods to stay away from, but I don't know what I need to do to put it all together. I go to crossfit 2 times a week, and jog a couple other days, but can't seem to get rid of the flab. Anybody got any ideas?
I am about 5'9 200lbs. Would like to be around 180.

rommel51

VP of Jock Strap cleaning
marked for later. I like to read this kinda stuff. Always gets me to add something to take away from what Im doing.

rommel51

VP of Jock Strap cleaning
Here is my lunch right now. chuck of turkey, a cup of potatoes, and steamed veggies. veggie include, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, red and yellow peppers, squash. Its so freaking good right now

This is very involved process. It isn't a quick fix, here is meal #1, meal #2 etc.

A dietitian will sit down with you and ask you a series of questions. Among them will be favorite foods, work schedule, sleep schedule, medical conditions, etc. Once the limitations have been developed, the dietitian will set up a ~7-10 day rotating mealplan, that will require constant monitoring. The monitoring will allow him/her to adjust the mealplan IAW the results that the client experiences.

Tymntgmry

Addicted to Softballfans
Cut down sugar and carbs. Losing weight is simply calories in vs calories out (burned). No big secret.

Cut down sugar and carbs. Losing weight is simply calories in vs calories out (burned). No big secret.

No, it isn't that simple. If it were, everyone could have a flat stomach/6-pack whenever they would want one.

Cutting down on processed food/refined sugars/etc, is a decent place to start. It is FAR from an ideal plan, though.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Lol...crossfitter cutting carbs...carbs are the devil! Seeing a dietician is good but may be costly. Visit myplate.gov and you can do your own dietary recall to get an idea of how good your diet really is as well as an idea of your caloric intake. It will be a good starting point.

Wheels33

Coach
High protien- low carbs.... Most importantant - 5 small meals a day. Body only can process so much nutrition at a time. The rest goes to waste, and if you dont have high metabolism, your body will store more fat when eat big meals a few times a day. Cause you teach your mind and body to crave the food, and will store alot fat. Because your body has no idea when you will eat next. Don't eat like it will be your last meal of your life. That just teaches body to store more fat. Body needs a steady small amount of healthy food all day. Around 300 calories each meal should be good. Maybe a little more during crossfit days. But don't eat after 7pm! or try eat last meal 3hrs before sleep. Keep up with the crossfit, you should see results!

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
High protien- low carbs.... Most importantant - 5 small meals a day. Body only can process so much nutrition at a time. The rest goes to waste, and if you dont have high metabolism, your body will store more fat when eat big meals a few times a day. Cause you teach your mind and body to crave the food, and will store alot fat. Because your body has no idea when you will eat next. Don't eat like it will be your last meal of your life. That just teaches body to store more fat. Body needs a steady small amount of healthy food all day. Around 300 calories each meal should be good. Maybe a little more during crossfit days. But don't eat after 7pm! or try eat last meal 3hrs before sleep. Keep up with the crossfit, you should see results!

None of this is true. If it were the people doing various fasting programs such as I.F.(16 hour fast/8 hour feeding window) and warrior's diet (20 hour fast/4 hour feeding window) would all be obese.

Last edited:

Wheels33

Coach
But this is the healthiest way. Those plans you mention are only recommended for 2 weeks at most. Any longer would not be good for the body. Your right they are good fast short term way to lose fat. But then you must go back to being on healthy diet. I have taken 2 nutrition college course. Including sports nutrition. Again your body only process so much nutrition in a time frame. If you are really serious about losing weight, drink 2 liters of water between each of 5 meals of the day. This is the ultimate way the weight loss marketing does not want you to know!! I have see personally people have huge weight loss doing this. Stay away from soda, gatorade, ect. Thank me later if you try this!

wcoastsoftball

So, if I work night shift, I sleep all day, but can't eat all night? Eating after 7 doesn't matter, the problem isn't eating after that it is the common foods people often eat after that time of day. If I have cottage cheese and a banana, I may just be hitting my protein needs for the day at that time. But if I have a bowl of ice cream, I may just surpass my alloted carbs for the day.

Same goes for the 3 hour before bed. If I go to bed at midnight, but have dinner at 6, why can't I have food at 9 or 10PM?

Also, just curious on your water suggestion, are you saying 10L of water per day?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
But this is the healthiest way. Those plans you mention are only recommended for 2 weeks at most. Any longer would not be good for the body. Your right they are good fast short term way to lose fat. But then you must go back to being on healthy diet. I have taken 2 nutrition college course. Including sports nutrition. Again your body only process so much nutrition in a time frame. If you are really serious about losing weight, drink 2 liters of water between each of 5 meals of the day. This is the ultimate way the weight loss marketing does not want you to know!! I have see personally people have huge weight loss doing this. Stay away from soda, gatorade, ect. Thank me later if you try this!

Please show me evidence that fasting is not healthy. I have a study that shows the contrary. It's showing evidence of increasing lifespans without reducing calories. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC156352/

Although you are wrong in a number of ways, I refuse to debate you due to your lack of both experience and education.

DSNuts48

Badass
I actually liked I.F., was actually easy on my schedule with school. The problem was the consistency on my end. Some days I'd do a 16 hour fast, and others I'd do a 20 hour fast.

strength

Extra Hitter
Just don't over complicate things. I am willing to bet there is not a single person on the continent that doesn't know that a dinner of baked chicken, brown rice, and veggies is better for you than a bigmac.

The biggest mistake I see people make is to go from one extreme to the other. Trying to go all hardcore from day one is going to burn you out and make you feel like crap. Start eliminating the obvious things (Pop, fast food, junk food, etc..) And also google is your best tool here. But ultimately what works for you may not be what works for someone else. The basics don't change though, you need to burn more calories than you consume. Plain and simple. If you want to loose weight than you need to be willing to burn more than you eat, that's as simple as I can put it.

There is a lot of good advice already in this thread some of it is a bit overkill honestly.

Increase lean protein, decrease junk food. Increase veggies and H20 intake. And I have no idea about crossfit or how it works or if you do it correctly so I can't comment on that. Typically I stay away from whatever the new popular routine's are whether its p90x or crossfit or whatever.

Don't be in a rush. Take your time and find a platform that works for you. But at the very least, burn those calories and use common sense to clean up your diet.

Eat right and increase your cardio. walk, run, bike, or use the eliptical bike 3-5 days a week for at least 30-45 minutes. You will lose weight. Diet is just as important as the exercise.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
Cut out Sugars and also go Gluten free! This is what ive done and ive seen a change already!

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Reading this thread is like listening to Democrats and Republicans say only their way works....LOL! For most people the biggest dilemma is Consistency. I can get in a good groove of eating steamed veggies, brown rice, fish etc.. but then it only lasts a few months.

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
I need help on putting together some sort of meal plan. I know what foods are good to eat, and what foods to stay away from, but I don't know what I need to do to put it all together. I go to crossfit 2 times a week, and jog a couple other days, but can't seem to get rid of the flab. Anybody got any ideas?
I am about 5'9 200lbs. Would like to be around 180.

Curious to what you think are good protein, carbs, fats for your body? Maybe the things you think are good for you, really aren't.

Losing 20 pounds shouldn't be that difficult to do, especially with a lifestyle change. How old are you? How long do you jog for and for how long?

Eating the right foods and breaking up your meals into smaller meals and eating more frequently will cause your metabolism to go up and burn calories easier.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
You are only 20 pounds overweight so just eat more low carb vegetables and that would probably do it alone. If that does not work, eat slightly smaller portions. This is easier to do than you think.

Your adjustment should not take much. Assuming your weight is stable, you need to cut out about 300 calories a day which will be about 3 pounds a month. Add exercise and you should be able to do 6 pounds a month. That is about 2 small yogurts. Take it slow and find something you can live with. In about 6 months you will be at your goal with a weight you can live with.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Eating the right foods and breaking up your meals into smaller meals and eating more frequently will cause your metabolism to go up and burn calories easier.

This is just not true. People misunderstand dietary induced thermogenesis and don't realize it's proportional to the amount of calories consumed in that sitting.

Br J Nutr. 2010 Apr;103(8):1098-101. doi: 10.1017/S0007114509992984. Epub 2009 Nov 30.
Increased meal frequency does not promote greater weight loss in subjects who were prescribed an 8-week equi-energetic energy-restricted diet.
Cameron JD, Cyr MJ, Doucet E.
Source
Behavioural and Metabolic Research Unit, School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Abstract
There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

300*30=9000/3500=2 and 4/7......rounded to 3 pounds assuming he is in a stable state already.

While it is true that the human body requires ~3500 calories to dissolve ~1# of adipose tissue, it only takes ~300 calories to dissolve ~1# of muscle.

Which is being lost when you go into a 300 calorie daily deficit? It isn't as easy as selectively reducing daily intake. While people who are of a higher BF can get away with this over-simplification, most "healthy" humans cannot. In fact, it will be a more negative outcome by doing so.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
While it is true that the human body requires ~3500 calories to dissolve ~1# of adipose tissue, it only takes ~300 calories to dissolve ~1# of muscle.

Which is being lost when you go into a 300 calorie daily deficit? It isn't as easy as selectively reducing daily intake. While people who are of a higher BF can get away with this over-simplification, most "healthy" humans cannot. In fact, it will be a more negative outcome by doing so.

I knew the over-simplication math worked but you taught me something with the 300 calories and 1 pound of muscle thing. That is so scary to me because I just changed my diet because of recently discovered allergies and lactose intolerance and am having trouble eating enough calories.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans

I think what you mean is that catabolizing muscle results in 300 calories of energy for the body. Not it takes 300 calories to disslove 1 pound of muscle.

The body breaks down tissue for energy. So, I ask you, what makes more sense to your body; Breaking down a pound of fat and getting 3500 calories of energy or breaking down 1 pound of muscle and getting only 300 calories of energy?

As long as you lose the weight slowly, keep working out, and eat a balanced diet you don't have to over think it. It really is not that complicated.