Member/Players average age.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Dang. I'm the pup here so far, checking in at 27.
I am 57 (double your age). I gave up playing mens league a few years ago, just quit playing Co Ed Rec this year, playing 55+ league on Saturday mornings, practice 55+ Sundays. I have been trying to put a 55+ league together for a while and want to play mens one night a week at my local league (York Field Whittier Ca).

Cant get more than one or two players for 55+ and got about 4 or 5 fat guys commit to week nights. No league close to me plays any senior at night, not even over 40. Dont wanna play Co Ed tired of under 30 girls kicking my ass. I have tried to get local leagues to do over 40 mens or Mod Co Ed one night a week but they are not interested.
Nothing against young guys but I wish there were true rec leagues with decent fields and lights so I could play at least one night a week. When I was not working I played 5 to 6 times a week league combined senior, Rec mens and Co Ed. Hard to keep sharp playing one a week and one practice, I think this is why a lot of late 30s, early 40 player stop playing.
Anyone 55+ wanna play Senior in Long Beach Saturday mornings or Rec mens por Co Ed at York in Whittier a week night? Or even someone who need a player? Realy would like to do a guys team, maybe even 40+ at York just to see how we fare against youngsters at York??????
Hit me up, am a lower level Rec player, I have played mostly OF but am learing to catch, play second and first. I wanna play as much as I can, only have another 20 years or so that I may be able to play! Besides, it will piss the old lady off and its one of my few hobbies besides softball....

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Definitely some older gents up in here. Do any of you 40+ guys still roam the outfield?

I can still play OF in lower rec and 55+ senior. Playing during the day and on good fields at night I do OK in OF, playing in single wall leagues helps alot also. I dont really like to play IF but will play anywhere to get a game in.

ETDave

Old School
58...haven't missed a year playing since I turned 18. Still play outfield. Only play one night a week because the nearest league is 45 miles away. Also play in tournaments occasionally.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Well - I guess I'll have to post to represent the seniors - but I know there are more than a few on the boards...

I didn't start playing until I was 45 - Now 62 - Play weekly leagues only...

Still love playing open age leagues - As long as the young guys don't get too mouthy or have to test their bravado too often, I enjoy the energy level...

Also played Senior ball this year for the first time - Wood bat league - Slower pace, a little more recreational, and a lot of compensation rules for the age-deterioration... Most of the guys are more respectful of each other but the team disparity (one or two stacked to win) still exists like many other leagues...

%%%

Where in So Central PA? I grew up in York County, move to LA in 1979, did not start playing again till I was 37. My brother coached a team, played two nights a week at Hoffman until he passed away suddenly, been almost 10 years ago. His Team was Apple Chevrolet/Subaru/Acura.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
Last of a dying breed.

Back in the day, Modified was King. Now it's all Slow pitch. :(

Tell me about it.

The modified game is a great game, you just cant expect to hit .800 doing it with 750ft homers so it isnt as appealing I guess.

In my area modified will be just about dead in a year or two.

I personally will never play slo-pitch after playing modified for 35 years so far.

majicmike

Starting Player
Is the OP tabulating the results? Without a poll this seems pointless, IMO.

In my original post I stated that I could not find the option of adding a poll. By simply reading the responses I guess the average age is mid 30's to mid 40's. Not what I expected. I would have guessed late 20's to early 30's.
I glad everyone elaborated on how much they play.

blakcherry329

Tell me about it.

The modified game is a great game, you just cant expect to hit .800 doing it with 750ft homers so it isnt as appealing I guess.

I personally will never play slo-pitch after playing modified for 35 years so far.

Used to really enjoy playing Modified. Moved away from SoCal twenty years ago and haven't seen it since.

Yeah it's easier to hit the ball really far in slow pitch.:cool:

It will be around for a bit in NNJ. Latinos still play Modified(sling) alot.

30 packer

Panty Dropper
50 years old and play 2-3 nights a week year round with at least 1 tourney a month. Throw in bp couple of times a week when we can. Still go to worlds every year too.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Turned 40 last Monday, played that night lol, 2-3 nights a week, spring, summer, and fall, occasional tourney, weekends are more for the family, and looking forward to adding senior ball next year

Senior ball at 40?! Dudes can still mash & senior bats sounds scary.

Nope I didn't read it just responded like a dumbass and if you don't wanna know how often anyone plays then don't read it.

Oh snap! Sick burn.

32, been playing since I was 17. You'll have to guess how often I play, or start another thread to ask me. Here's a hint, it's 2 league nights a week. One competitive men's league, one recreational co-ed which I kinda hate. Hopefully will be able to play in an "over 35" wood bat league next year (they may allow 2 players/team who are under 35). I'm a Libra and I'm pretty athletic, but a little chubby. You're welcome.

Dammit Hiltz, was trying to let that one slide under the radar like it never happened.

Is the OP tabulating the results? Without a poll this seems pointless, IMO.

People like to hear themselves talk, your point is irrelevant even though it is...

Do you like penis Coladas?

No but I'd pound either one of these without care....

In my original post I stated that I could not find the option of adding a poll. By simply reading the responses I guess the average age is mid 30's to mid 40's. Not what I expected. I would have guessed late 20's to early 30's.
I glad everyone elaborated on how much they play.

You're ruining everything.

Tell me about it.

I finally had to look up modified softball with everyone talking about it, doesn't seem like anything special. If anything, it looks like more fun hitting/easier to blast big ass shots than regular slow pitch. Ball coming in flatter/faster but still slow as hell compared to fast pitch or baseball & still able to use uber bats. I won't pretend to know since I've never played, just my impression but I also prefer utrip to ASA and won't even play unlimited arc cause I suck at it.

I would like to see fast pitch men's softball back in this area, would be very cool with 52cor balls & wood bats. To me hitting an underhand fast pitch is tough cause some dudes can really wheel it, combined with the ball rising and having a lot of action on it...

At the BLD here they have a modified baseball league that looks/sounds like a lot of fun. Couple of us really want to do it but I'm worried it will completely ruin the fun of slow pitch then fold up like anything else that requires a little bit of skill.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
I finally had to look up modified softball with everyone talking about it, doesn't seem like anything special. If anything, it looks like more fun hitting/easier to blast big ass shots than regular slow pitch. Ball coming in flatter/faster but still slow as hell compared to fast pitch or baseball & still able to use uber bats. I won't pretend to know since I've never played, just my impression but I also prefer utrip to ASA and won't even play unlimited arc cause I suck at it.

I would like to see fast pitch men's softball back in this area, would be very cool with 52cor balls & wood bats. To me hitting an underhand fast pitch is tough cause some dudes can really wheel it, combined with the ball rising and having a lot of action on it...

At the BLD here they have a modified baseball league that looks/sounds like a lot of fun. Couple of us really want to do it but I'm worried it will completely ruin the fun of slow pitch then fold up like anything else that requires a little bit of skill.

Uh yeah.....ok. Easier to blast big ass shots. I dont know what modified you were watching but that isnt the norm.

Yes some guys just throw strikes and dont offer much, but I have faced guys throwing in the70-80mph range. Drops, risers, curves, changeups etc etc.

I play with some guys that also play slo-pitch, and to a man they all say the same thing. That they enjoy modified more because its more of a challenge, and most take a while to adjust to it.

We play with a deader ball. The SB12 is the "juiced" ball if your league plays with them. The norm is the Clincher Gold. No home run limits because it isnt necessary.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Uh yeah.....ok. Easier to blast big ass shots. I dont know what modified you were watching but that isnt the norm.

Yes some guys just throw strikes and dont offer much, but I have faced guys throwing in the70-80mph range. Drops, risers, curves, changeups etc etc.

I play with some guys that also play slo-pitch, and to a man they all say the same thing. That they enjoy modified more because its more of a challenge, and most take a while to adjust to it.

We play with a deader ball. The SB12 is the "juiced" ball if your league plays with them. The norm is the Clincher Gold. No home run limits because it isnt necessary.

I watched something where they didn't really have windup or hop, just a short snapped underhand that was probably in the 40's to maybe 50mph being really generous. The full on fast pitch guys I've seen are in the 70's and that's nuts with a rising ball and the action they can put on it. I must have seen something different. I can see that killing any excitement for slow pitch.

The thing I most enjoy about slow pitch is the short time frame of a single game, important with a wife & kids. Other than that, it seems like it's more a battle of who screws up less & doesn't get rattled by another team scoring >5 runs an inning.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Those balls you're using would kill any performance a fancy bat may have, just nothing there with a clincher other than bat weight vs ball weight, rather use a woody and 52cor ball.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I finally had to look up modified softball with everyone talking about it, doesn't seem like anything special. If anything, it looks like more fun hitting/easier to blast big ass shots than regular slow pitch.

I had to look it up too. :eek:

Around here, people call modified "half-whip", and fastpitch "full-whip". Must be a regional thing.

And there are some local guys that play(ed) half-whip that could pitch a lot faster than I can throw overhand.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I had to look it up too. :eek:

Around here, people call modified "half-whip", and fastpitch "full-whip". Must be a regional thing.

And there are some local guys that play(ed) half-whip that could pitch a lot faster than I can throw overhand.

Old timers around here talk about the fast pitch glory days, wonder if they were full or half. If the pitcher has to throw hard & the catcher has to squat I'm relegated to 1st or DH anyway which I wouldn't mind in the least.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
36, started playing last fall and love it. Wish i would have given softball a chance a long time ago. I play rec once every other week cuz of the job. Worst teammate ever.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
36, started playing last fall and love it. Wish i would have given softball a chance a long time ago. I play rec once every other week cuz of the job. Worst teammate ever.

LAT IT AS A GIFT. SINSE i TOOK SO MANY YEARS OFF i SAVES MY LEGS. MANY GUYS CANT RUN AND NEED KNEE OR HIP SURGERY. i MAY NOT BE JESSE OWENS BUT CAN STILL MOVE

blakcherry329

Old timers around here talk about the fast pitch glory days, wonder if they were full or half. If the pitcher has to throw hard & the catcher has to squat I'm relegated to 1st or DH anyway which I wouldn't mind in the least.

In NJ it was Windmill(like Women's Softball) or Modified/Sling(everything you can get without going all the way around with your arm). Windmill can get crazy fast coming from 46'.

Modified is a little slower, but some guys can still bring it. Between 60-70mph is not uncommon for an A level pitcher. League pitchers usually top out at about 55-60, for the best. I'm more like Wakefield. I throw about 45-50, when I throw a fastball(80% knuckleballs).

Hitting is a whole animal than slow pitch. It's more like baseball, short compact swing. You can't use that big leg kick, like in slow pitch, or the ball will be by you. A decent pitcher will change speeds on you so your timing will be all screwed up, with a big kick.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
25, last year I played 3 nights a week, co-ed on Sundays and around 10 tourneys from May-September. This year because of my work schedule I'm down to 1 night a week and co-ed on Sunday. I've played 1 tourney... I don't miss it. Enjoying playing more golf and getting away from the tourney softball d-bags

rybred23

Starting Player
35, play 2 nights a week since I was 17. Job and family has tournaments as non existent, I wish I could do more tourneys

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
In NJ it was Windmill(like Women's Softball) or Modified/Sling(everything you can get without going all the way around with your arm). Windmill can get crazy fast coming from 46'.

Modified is a little slower, but some guys can still bring it. Between 60-70mph is not uncommon for an A level pitcher. League pitchers usually top out at about 55-60, for the best. I'm more like Wakefield. I throw about 45-50, when I throw a fastball(80% knuckleballs).

Hitting is a whole animal than slow pitch. It's more like baseball, short compact swing. You can't use that big leg kick, like in slow pitch, or the ball will be by you. A decent pitcher will change speeds on you so your timing will be all screwed up, with a big kick.

Here we tried to tighten up the pitching rules to more strict modified. Once you let one guy open up the next go opens up a little bit more and so on. What ends up happening is it becomes a sling league and the strict modified guys and their teams come in to game out gunned.

I have seen leagues fall apart because of it.

With that said even strict modified guys can bring it. Most times its not even the speed - its the change of speeds, and movement. If a guys just throws hard eventually you get him, but if someone has 3-4 different pitches that he can control than it becomes difficult.

Dont get me wrong not every pitcher has that skill set. Some guys just are there to throw strikes and they are hoping that their defense keeps them around or that the hitters are just off.

This is no knock on slo-pitch, but many times a slo-pitch league has the field after us or before us and we get to watch it as we are waiting or leaving. Personally I just cant imagine playing it. No knock - its just not for me.