ASA metal spikes

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I pointed out that the 3B for the other team was wearing metal. The umpire refused to do anything about it. He told me to bring it up with the director and I said no "I'm bringing it up with you."

So, what would you have done?

Is it a dead ball out if he hits it while wearing metal? I'm thinking similar to swinging and illegal bat or stepping in front of the plate.

bpierce208

Addicted to Softballfans
I would've just told him he'd better not slide or he'd be getting a face full of my knees...I usually don't bring stuff like that up to the ump.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless the rule has changed in recent years, metal spikes are allowed in championship play for mens ball. If the park has a rule against them, then they abide by the park's rules, but ASA has always allowed metal spikes. Funny, with as safety conscious as they have been, they allow these.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Unless the rule has changed in recent years, metal spikes are allowed in championship play for mens ball. If the park has a rule against them, then they abide by the park's rules, but ASA has always allowed metal spikes. Funny, with as safety conscious as they have been, they allow these.

Speaking ASA National Championship Play here...

ASA allows metal cleats in 14U and older fast pitch, men's slow/fast/modified pitch, and women's slow pitch, and 16" slow pitch.

ASA coed slow pitch, senior slow pitch, and youth slow pitch do not allow metal cleats.

Most local leagues do not allow metal cleats. Under these circumstances, if a player is found to be wearing metal cleats, they are to change their shoes immediately or be ejected.

sjury

The Old Man
Around here it's a field rule. City allows them, county doesn't, a few private parks allow them, and some don't... I just wear turfs, then it doesn't matter where I play, I'm good.

Crabby Bob

Addicted to Softballfans
The OP said "metal spikes". Metal spikes are illegal in all codes. Metal cleats, as noted, are allowed but may be banned at the local level.

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
Spokane,Wa and ALL of Montana allow metals to be worn in ASA. I like them but I also play and ump a ton of NSA and they do not allow you to wear them......................you can swing almost anything in NSA but not wear metal. Ive never seen anyone spiked to death but no worries about the rocket launcehr you can hit balls with, good looking out NSA

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
in about 10 years of softball i've never seen them allowed. The local ASA leagues do not allow them and there are essentially no ASA tournies here.

My brother took around 20 stitches in his hand in highschool from metal. And a teammate of mine got cut kinda bad on the leg but refused to go to the hospital bc of metal.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Ouch

I had a couple of toes broken from metal cleats on a player. Blue did nothing about it though. :(

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Mike, that's a chicken**** blue. I haven't seen people try to play with metal cleats often, but EVERY time they're noticed, the player has at least been instructed to remove them immediately.

Easy response is "Thanks blue. But can you just write your first and last names down on this piece of paper? If one of my guys gets hurt at all from the metal cleats, I want to make sure your name is spelled properly in the lawsuit."