Middleton (WI) snowball tourney

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
I understand getting bad draws or stacking good teams all in one bracket, but at the end won't the best teams be there? AJ22, you said that the top 6 teams shouldn't have been top 6? I sort of agree with you since we took 7th or 8th (Spiderz), but at the end of the day we lost 2 games to two teams that out played us. We even run ruled MCR Hitmen yet the Hitmen still made it to the top where they should be. At the end of a tournament does it matter how the bracket was really stacked? Top teams have to win to be there regardless who they play, no?

Question though, was there a 4th inning slaughter rule? I think we possibly stole that win from MCR. We walked off a 28 to 13 victory in the bottom of the 4th, but on Sunday we had to play through the 5th haha. If we had to potentially give MCR 9 more outs I am not 100% sure we still win that game.

bdclubber

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand getting bad draws or stacking good teams all in one bracket, but at the end won't the best teams be there? AJ22, you said that the top 6 teams shouldn't have been top 6? I sort of agree with you since we took 7th or 8th (Spiderz), but at the end of the day we lost 2 games to two teams that out played us. We even run ruled MCR Hitmen yet the Hitmen still made it to the top where they should be. At the end of a tournament does it matter how the bracket was really stacked? Top teams have to win to be there regardless who they play, no?

Question though, was there a 4th inning slaughter rule? I think we possibly stole that win from MCR. We walked off a 28 to 13 victory in the bottom of the 4th, but on Sunday we had to play through the 5th haha. If we had to potentially give MCR 9 more outs I am not 100% sure we still win that game.

Pretty sure the run rule was 15 after 4 1/2 innings

Kleinjohnson

Swinger... NOT collector
What do you mean we made it to the top? What place did we finish in? I didn't look, but I don't even think it was top ten.

Kleinjohnson

Swinger... NOT collector
Oh, that's better than I thought. I think he's right though, because I remember seeing some pretty sub par looking teams playing after us and saying to somebody, "Look at those 2 teams, how are those guys still going? Why can't we get sometbody like that?"

Last edited:

LuckyMatthews

Oh, that's better than I thought. I think he's right though, because I remember seeing some pretty sub par looking teams playing after us and saying to somebody, "Look at those 2 teams, how are those guys still going? Why can't we get sometbody like?"

They were probably talking about you guys in your last game when you were down 29-5 haha. J/K

AJ22

Super Moderator

Yes .. top teams have to win ... BUT,

We played Rhino Pro and exerted alot of energy at 9 a.m. Sunday. 29-16 I believe the score was. We lost to Comotose on Saturday to get to the Loser's bracket.

We beat a team then Sunday 35-4 and then Golden Lion another good hitting team by like 35-25 .. exerted alot more energy.

You guys lost to Simers???? Simers beat a team Saturday 8-7 .. that was the team we beat 35-4. We ended up losing to Red Mouse (another good hitting team and can hit unlimited or 25' pitches and hit 8') to be knocked out.

Rhino Pro (some of Ammans), us, Comotose are in the upper bracket, we easily finish 3rd.

Again, no way am I complaining but your reasoning couldn't be further from reality when you are playing this type of tournament with a hard ball and the elements. The less energy a team uses in winning games the more likely a team plays longer on Sunday. Golden Lion was a great example .. we exerted very little energy in beating a team by 30 but knew we would have a game against these guys and we put up alot. Not sure why the time limit was called, but I was happy it was or they might have got us.

The brackets were 'set-up' period. Even the Loser brackets were crossed wrong to enable thegood teams to keep playing each other after they loss their first games.

In the end, congrats to those who cashed ... congrats to the winners.

jpjedi27

Too Old to Play
I think u exert more energy throwing 25' foot pitches. :D It is interesting seeing all the different styles of pitching though and thought most pitched well.

Chucks23

Han Solo
I agree with you AJ22. I like playing tough teams but not running through the first 3 rounds, it should be split out a little better. We (Brokebat Mountain/Comatose) had to play Sir Buks/Ravine for our first game, then play a tough Q&T Machining team next. Then Sunday morning Venom blew our doors off in a 48-20 game. The easiest game we had was after we lost to Venom and were sitting 2-1 in the thick part of the loser's bracket. We then ended up playing Red Mouse who walked us off after some questionable umpiring but regardless they fought through and won.

Who did Venom play in the winner's bracket final? I know they beat a tough (part of) Wando's team to get there. That in my mind could have been a winner's bracket final game as well as us versus them. The pitching is the same every year and I will never blame the umpires for not calling it illegal. We are all there to hit and sure the 25' pitches are outside the limit described in the rules but it is fricking cold and every pitch the ump calls illegal means another pitch he has to stand out there for. Does it make it right? No. Is that more than likely what happens? Yes. All in all, it was a fun tournament with some great competition as always.

Chucks23

Han Solo
I think u exert more energy throwing 25' foot pitches. :D It is interesting seeing all the different styles of pitching though and thought most pitched well.

Sorry for buzzing you Sunday morning. I think I was still a little disoriented from concussing myself against the fence. I was simply trying to hit the shed like every other guy in your line up did!

jpjedi27

Too Old to Play
That ball you hit had eyes and followed me whereever I went. It actually hit the glove first then just came up. No marks and hardly noticed the impact . As for the umps calling illegal it's their mistake for letting them get that high early in the game . If they call it early then pitchers will adjust . My biggest complaint was watching a ball come in 20'+ from opposing pitchers and then calling my 15' and pitches illegal, not to mention my 9' pitches flat.

jlemmer24

Addicted to Softballfans
Summary of the tournament...
Every year Terry - guy running trny - stacks most of tourny teams on one side. Sets up his local teams to make the money on the other.
Umps have NO Clue what pitch height is.. Rules say 8' to 14' from ground.. Backstop was 20' plus.. In some of our games pitches well over that. Not complaining cause we put in pitcher to throw it up there also..But if its gonna be an unlimited trny, post it ahead of time...
And yes Lucky how the bracket is set up has huge impact on trny.. Say for instance u have 16 team trny.. And in game 1 u have venom vs bubbas. Obviously someone has to lose. And game 2 you have MCR vs Comatose. Someone has to lose.. So in first game of losers bracket 1 of those teams are headed home.. WHich is huge cause all 4 teams or any other teams that are considered good 1 is out..
Another thing is why does trny stop at 6 pm on Saturday night and ship is 8 pm on Sunday?? Reasoning I heard was guys drink so much sat and hes worried about safety.. Look at field conditions and evry other thing this weekend and should safety even be a thought???
All in all its a fun weekend for guys to catch up after the holidays and get some swings and have some drinks. Pretty much thinking its not going to change. He gets 36 teams every year so why does he care if people dont like how he runs things. We can talk about it all year but 99% of us will be back next year doing same thing talking about same stuff... See ya Easter Weekend!!!

BatBoy25

350 IS NOT A BOMB
Oh, that's better than I thought. I think he's right though, because I remember seeing some pretty sub par looking teams playing after us and saying to somebody, "Look at those 2 teams, how are those guys still going? Why can't we get sometbody like that?"

It was probably us they were talking about I played with JJ on Simers. We were pretty much a throw together team of mostly unlimited guys with a very good unlimited pitcher that kept us in it and yeah we did win ugly but it is snowball.

Kleinjohnson

Swinger... NOT collector
As far as terry goes, as soon as I heard him emphasize twice on the phone that nobody was allowed to swing the orange crush, I knew that old man had no idea what the **** he was talking about. Like orange crushes are everywhere and everyone is just waiting to pull theirs out.

jjstammen

Addicted to Softballfans
Summary of the tournament...
Every year Terry - guy running trny - stacks most of tourny teams on one side. Sets up his local teams to make the money on the other.
Umps have NO Clue what pitch height is.. Rules say 8' to 14' from ground.. Backstop was 20' plus.. In some of our games pitches well over that. Not complaining cause we put in pitcher to throw it up there also..But if its gonna be an unlimited trny, post it ahead of time...
And yes Lucky how the bracket is set up has huge impact on trny.. Say for instance u have 16 team trny.. And in game 1 u have venom vs bubbas. Obviously someone has to lose. And game 2 you have MCR vs Comatose. Someone has to lose.. So in first game of losers bracket 1 of those teams are headed home.. WHich is huge cause all 4 teams or any other teams that are considered good 1 is out..
Another thing is why does trny stop at 6 pm on Saturday night and ship is 8 pm on Sunday?? Reasoning I heard was guys drink so much sat and hes worried about safety.. Look at field conditions and evry other thing this weekend and should safety even be a thought???
All in all its a fun weekend for guys to catch up after the holidays and get some swings and have some drinks. Pretty much thinking its not going to change. He gets 36 teams every year so why does he care if people dont like how he runs things. We can talk about it all year but 99% of us will be back next year doing same thing talking about same stuff... See ya Easter Weekend!!!

I agree with all of this. There should be 2 16 team brackets upper and lower cuz its set up that way anyways. Go later on Saturday cuz teams always end up splitting Sunday night. Be more strict with pitches. But it was still fun and I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting new people in the softball world.

LuckyMatthews

Ok Lemmer, that does make a lot of sense. In any case, I had a blast. It was hilarious to watch, somewhat painful to play, but overall I'm glad I went and I will hopefully be back for years to come.

Gator23

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with all of this. There should be 2 16 team brackets upper and lower cuz its set up that way anyways. Go later on Saturday cuz teams always end up splitting Sunday night. Be more strict with pitches. But it was still fun and I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting new people in the softball world.

I agree with going later on saturday night because teams don't always end up splitting. Last year we wanted to split because we had long drives home, it was already after 7pm and we had played 6 games already on sunday. A local team was undefeated and didn't want to split so we had to play 8 games on Sunday and got home after 1030pm. :rolleyes:

Overall is a fun tournament though and a chance to get out in the middle of winter and see some friends, etc...

Like Lemmer said, we all know what it's going to be like with the pitches, etc... and since we do know and still show up, all we can do is play.