Miken Freak Black ASA review

Dan411

Star Player
I just got in my Miken Freak Black ASA this week and got to hit it inside today. About 70 degrees, little or no wind. Fence about 50 feet. Hitting Evil 52's and Evil BP's (white and orange). The two piece bat is 28oz, half ounce end load, thinner handle and much better knob than many featured on previous Mikens. Knob shape and size reminded me of the Juggy. Handle didn't seem to flex at all that I could feel, even off a couple of end cap shots. Barrel was stiff. Didn't have the trampoline effect feeling my DC41 has. When you hold it in your hands, you can feel the end load, but it swings pretty balanced. On contact, it doesn't have the ping the DC41 does; much more subtle. Again stiff barrel, weird but it almost felt like wood to me. Hit some nice shots, but it's going to need some cuts. It's not as hot out of the wrapper as the DC. Overall a nice bat, and I am excited to hit it some more!

Dan411

Star Player
How does it compare to last years Triad Extreme ASA? Is the endload about the same?

It's billed as the same tech, and the end load is very similar. The end load is there, just not as noticeable as the DC. It swings pretty similar to my ASA Portent if that helps anyone.

Raptor12

Star Player
I have roughly 300 swings on mine and I can attest to it opening up nicely. The balls don't ping off the bat like a dc....it is more of a fwap. The sound does change after the first 100 to 150 and I'm now noticing some pretty impressive exit speed. I'm hitting in an indoor arena football field so we get a little more space to see these balls travel and the ball does seem to go when struck well. We use a mix of 52s and 47s for BP.

Dan411

Star Player
I have roughly 300 swings on mine and I can attest to it opening up nicely. The balls don't ping off the bat like a dc....it is more of a fwap. The sound does change after the first 100 to 150 and I'm now noticing some pretty impressive exit speed. I'm hitting in an indoor arena football field so we get a little more space to see these balls travel and the ball does seem to go when struck well. We use a mix of 52s and 47s for BP.

That's good to hear. We only got to put around 60 hits on mine. It definitely doesn't sound like the DC. I am excited to hit it again. I already like it more than my Freak 52 I had last year.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
It's been on the rack at $85 for a few weeks now but I don't know what they go for to know if that's a good deal or not.

BOLTMAN21

Manager

Hit any 44/375's with yours? We BP with a mixture of 52/300 tattoos and evil BP and occasionally throw in 44/375 white thunder dudley's. Wondering how these hold up with those.

Dan411

Star Player
It's been on the rack at $85 for a few weeks now but I don't know what they go for to know if that's a good deal or not.

I can vouch for it being clean. It only had probably 200 hits on it. Only 52's. I know you've swung Combat. The barrel feel will be similar, big sweet spot, and on the softer side for a Miken.

tee_dub660

BP Hero's Sidekick
It's billed as the same tech, and the end load is very similar. The end load is there, just not as noticeable as the DC. It swings pretty similar to my ASA Portent if that helps anyone.

Have you swung any 2 piece Legits? Would you have any comparisons there?

Raptor12

Star Player
Hit any 44/375's with yours? We BP with a mixture of 52/300 tattoos and evil BP and occasionally throw in 44/375 white thunder dudley's. Wondering how these hold up with those.

Honestly don't know. We just grab buckets and get after it. The paint If you wanna call it that is a matte finish and there isn't a single indication of webbing whatsoever. I'm no slouch...hit the ball plenty hard....and still nothing. Same with the freak 52 and psycho.

Dan411

Star Player
Honestly don't know. We just grab buckets and get after it. The paint If you wanna call it that is a matte finish and there isn't a single indication of webbing whatsoever. I'm no slouch...hit the ball plenty hard....and still nothing. Same with the freak 52 and psycho.

I think it would be safe to mix a couple of older ASA balls in during BP. Could help loosen it in faster. But bottom line is that it is designed for the 52's. But I've never broken a Miken, only a LS and a Demarini.

BOLTMAN21

Manager

I think it would be safe to mix a couple of older ASA balls in during BP. Could help loosen it in faster. But bottom line is that it is designed for the 52's. But I've never broken a Miken, only a LS and a Demarini.

Another board bro on here told me he hits 44 and 52 COR's with it as well and still going strong. Wouldn't consider myself a power hitter but I can hit a little bit. I will start off with a bag of 52/300s to loosen it up a bit and go 44's to open it up more. Thanks for the feedback bro's.

Raptor12

Star Player
Another board bro on here told me he hits 44 and 52 COR's with it as well and still going strong. Wouldn't consider myself a power hitter but I can hit a little bit. I will start off with a bag of 52/300s to loosen it up a bit and go 44's to open it up more. Thanks for the feedback bro's.

Put another 100 on mine last night. The sound is really nice now, its a nice crack, no ping, just a nice solid crack. I like the handle and the endload really works well on the 26. Until we can get outside I cant say much on distance but I have a feeling that we will be happy in that department. Still no tracking or webbing whatsoever, so odd as we are approaching 500 cuts on this thing.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Put another 100 on mine last night. The sound is really nice now, its a nice crack, no ping, just a nice solid crack. I like the handle and the endload really works well on the 26. Until we can get outside I cant say much on distance but I have a feeling that we will be happy in that department. Still no tracking or webbing whatsoever, so odd as we are approaching 500 cuts on this thing.

Good stuff here. Cant wait to put work on mine and see how it opens up. Fact it seems to hold up and be durable is a plus. That said, I have a Demarini Juggy that is fire but got a paint seam crack at like 10 hits. Its grown to about 8-9 inches long.

Would you happen to know if your 26 scales a bit heavier than sticker? My Freak 52 was 27 but came in 27.5. Some of the Miken's came in a bit over last year.

tee_dub660

BP Hero's Sidekick
It was nice enough today. I was ticked I didn't get something planned in time to hit the Black outside to check out distance.

I'm hoping to get one more day of bp in this week. I might even take Friday off and get that done. ;)

Dan411

Star Player
Exactly what I was hoping. Thinking mine should be similar. Comes in Thursday.

Weather has been brutal out here in San Diego lately .. :thumb:

That's just cruel ha ha. Backing up some, I have a 28 oz. it feels heavier than my other 28's.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
You might think I'm joking, but this is a tropical heat wave through Mid-MO in January.

My work has sent me to St.Charles a few times. It always seems to either be around February or July. First times that I have either been in a blizzard or 120 deg humidity. I can't wait to come back home.