Miken Freak Black ASA review

Dan411

Star Player
any updates???

I put around 75 more swings on mine last week. I hit Evil 52's and Evil BP's again. I took my 28oz DC 41 and hit one round with it, so I could have a comparison. Now, I must tell everyone that I have the 2014 DC 41. So many say this is just a 1/2 oz end load DC 41. It's not...The barrel of the DC 41 is softer to me, and a little less responsive than the Black. Sweet spot location is different too. Sweet spot on the DC 41 is more mid-barrel, while the Black is slightly toward the end cap. I could really tell when I squared one up with the Black. Some balls off the DC 41 really jumped, and carried a lot farther than I thought they would (much like the feel of a well hit ball off a J3A if that helps anyone). With the Black, I knew I got a hold of one.
I am glad I was patient with this bat. It has really came around. It is on par, and past a few distance wise with my DC 41.
I cleaned it off after the last BP session, and it has no new webs.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
I put around 75 more swings on mine last week. I hit Evil 52's and Evil BP's again. I took my 28oz DC 41 and hit one round with it, so I could have a comparison. Now, I must tell everyone that I have the 2014 DC 41. So many say this is just a 1/2 oz end load DC 41. It's not...The barrel of the DC 41 is softer to me, and a little less responsive than the Black. Sweet spot location is different too. Sweet spot on the DC 41 is more mid-barrel, while the Black is slightly toward the end cap. I could really tell when I squared one up with the Black. Some balls off the DC 41 really jumped, and carried a lot farther than I thought they would (much like the feel of a well hit ball off a J3A if that helps anyone). With the Black, I knew I got a hold of one.
I am glad I was patient with this bat. It has really came around. It is on par, and past a few distance wise with my DC 41.
I cleaned it off after the last BP session, and it has no new webs.

So you think your ASA black will hit with the D.C. now?

Dan411

Star Player
So you think your ASA black will hit with the D.C. now?

Absolutely! I think the performance is interchangeable now. The Black just takes some time to get to the level of the DC, but it's there. If you all play ASA, or like a smaller end load, it's an excellent bat.

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
Held a couple 27 oz freak blacks asa from a local store and not much endload there imo.... kinda disappointed in the weighting thought it would be at least a maxload but was more balanced with maybe a slight endload. Might have to go to the jh legit hd52 route and hopefully it's got more endload than the freak black.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Held a couple 27 oz freak blacks asa from a local store and not much endload there imo.... kinda disappointed in the weighting thought it would be at least a maxload but was more balanced with maybe a slight endload. Might have to go to the jh legit hd52 route and hopefully it's got more endload than the freak black.

I have the JHHD52 not a lot of endload there either.

midnite6

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a 26oz ASA and it definitley is end loaded as well as heavier than last years ASA Triad Extreme.Easily more endloaded and scaled a full ounce over sticker. Wish they would make the Black in a 25 oz which would be closer to a 26

Dan411

Star Player
I have a 26oz ASA and it definitley is end loaded as well as heavier than last years ASA Triad Extreme.Easily more endloaded and scaled a full ounce over sticker. Wish they would make the Black in a 25 oz which would be closer to a 26

Have you had a chance to swing it yet? I went with a 28 as you can see in my sig. It feels heavy, but swings like my other 28's.

Bayne

Addicted to Softballfans
With all this heavy spiral webbing, have you guys had your bats comp. tested? For most, durability is the life of the bat, around here its all about passing that test.

Dan411

Star Player
With all this heavy spiral webbing, have you guys had your bats comp. tested? For most, durability is the life of the bat, around here its all about passing that test.

The league I play in does not compression test...fortunately.